Most Setbacks Can Turn Out To Be Your Best Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Setbacks Can Turn Out To Be Your Best Friend

Let me preface this topic by saying that certain setbacks may never work in one's favour. I understand that. Then again, it never ceases to amaze me how some folks have turned a terrible situation into a positive life altering maneuver. There are so many inspiring people out there.

But I will dwell on the small to medium size setbacks, those that we will all undoubtedly face in our lives, right from our youth. Many of them are difficult and may even set us back for a long stretch. But when you think about it, we are very adaptive, and we can often turn a negative into a positive, which is not only encouraging in the short term, but we can often become better people as a result. Think of all the successful people who will tell you that their greatest skill or strength was in fact a weak spot when they were young. I have some personal examples, and I bet you have some too. A couple of mine include:
    - becoming a pretty good public speaker even though I suffered at the thought, even in University
    - being a fairly confident person in general.....which is not who I was when younger

There are tons of examples, small, medium and yes, even quite big, of setbacks that were difficult to accept, but made me a stronger person in the end.

Hey, this also applies to business (as well as many other things). Companies often turn setbacks into profit. And I always like to mention the proven business fact that, if a customer has a relatively poor experience with a company, and the company does a great job of correcting it, the customer will typically become more loyal as a result. That's powerful stuff in my books.

Now....some folks can go too far with this sort of stuff. For example, I have witnessed too many "short guys" who give credence to the "small man's complex" tag. I am not tall, and I understand why you want to be bigger when growing up, especially in the sports world. But there's a line that one can cross when trying too hard.

And yes, the setback storyline is very applicable to partnerships.....and in most cases a social setback can work out for the better. I have personal proof of that as well. Hey, she's still with me after many, many years......
    CanDB
    Football Immortal
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-27-2013, 01:56 PM.

Good post. I always live by the phrase 'when your walking through hell just keep walking' Your come out the other side eventually.

I actually have HUGE respect for ALL Canadians.

To find out when your young that you've been born a Canadian must be a massive setback, but some of them go on to have fantastic lives.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
      Good post. I always live by the phrase 'when your walking through hell just keep walking' Your come out the other side eventually.

To find out when your young that you've been born a Canadian must be a massive setback, but some of them go on to have fantastic lives.

says the guy from hampshire... pshhhh

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post

Funny dude!!!!

Yah, somehow we overcome the initial shock! Canadian babies come out screaming!!!

In fact, if you get real close to one of those beautiful little creatures you can almost hear them, "please tell me this isn't Canada!!!!"
        CanDB
        Football Immortal
        Last edited by CanDB; 06-27-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X