X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drumset I built

I built this kit out of curly maple rough stock

thx for the heads up bronx
    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

That looks amazing, very skilled. Good job. Cp heading your way

Comment

Wow, that is beautiful!

Comment

Ginger Baker made his own drum kit once, but it was broken during a fight he had with Jack Bruce back in their Cream days.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Thanks Guys! And thanks for the little history lesson Sam HA

Comment

Is this a new one? I remember you had a thread a while back of one you built.

Either way, it's dope! :thumb:

Comment

You might be right. Here's the one you guys haven't seen, then. I've only built 2 kits but I have built quite a few snares.

In the last photo you can see the inside of the drum(top left). I haven't finished cutting the insides yet so you can get an idea of how the wood is oriented during gluing. These shells are over an inch thick! Needless to say this heavy kit doesn't leave the house often. Even after I cut the inner cylinder round, they will still be very thick.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

haha

I swear if you ask me that was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen -period. And when Will Ferrell desecrates the drums -

Comment

That looks like top notch craftsmanship to me.

My brother-in-law is a drummer. In the Sixties and Seventies, he had a big Rogers double bass, six high tom, four floor tom set. For a while he used an electronic drum kit because it was easier to take to gigs. He has switched back to an acoustic set (not as big as his old Rogers kit) because he just likes it better than the electronic one. He likes it well enough to lug it to gigs.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Thanks guys - it was a lot of sweat and work but it was worth it.

Hey Sam I have an electronic kit too - and tried it live a couple times for it's lightweight convenience etc. but I too just didn't like it as much as the acoustic drums. Acoustic drums have infinite expression possibilities and of course a natural feel.

The maple kit at the top of the thread is much lighter than the oak kit so it's not bad at all to lug the maples around.

Comment

absolutely beautiful. I don't play an instrument but I'd rock that drum set
                        sigpic
                        2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Comment

That's amazing dude.

Comment

Just amazing, puts my big ugly electronic drum kit to absolute shame. Beautiful craftsmanship my friend, enjoy them, I absolutely love drumming.
                            Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

What do you use to cut the insides down? Does that change the sound a lot?

I'm a bass player I don't know these things

Comment

Working...
                              X