Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being Original....Or At Least Referencing Your Sources

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Being Original....Or At Least Referencing Your Sources

    It is hard to be original. Billions of people have had a shot at most everything already, so putting a whole new slant on things is not just original, but almost impossible. Then again, there are a lot of folks who DO have a cool, interesting take on life....to some degree they are very much unique. And lets not forget all those people who can interpret situations and information without hearing it from somewhere else first. That is analytical, but being able to process and interpret without the input of others reflects an ability that edges on originality.....because you did not take it from elsewhere.

    But how many folks do you know that spout off jargon that clearly came from something they read or saw? They talk like it was their assessment when really it is something they just read in the paper or heard on the news. I try to be open about my inputs, so when I repeat something that I've heard (that I agree with), I tend to mention the source. I might say something like, "I agree with ______" and then try to state why. Conversely I often mention when I disagree with someone.....and why.

    When I was young, I was not original. I trusted most sources, and I wouldn't even think about challenging a book writer's theory. As the years went by, and aided by education and some maturing, I realized that it is important to think freely about matters. And it's cool to challenge. In some ways the pendulum swung a little too far for me, but I guess that's how the old pendulum swings. Bottom line, I believe it's important to teach our children and all those who matter to us that we need to filter what we take in, just like we need to check how much change we receive when we purchase something. It becomes normal after some practice, and eventually it not only becomes very basic in terms of effort, but it will most likely improve your life. "Accepting" without some form of screening process could set one back, many times over.

    But back to those who seem to know everything, but really are just regurgitating from elsewhere. If you know folks like that, and they sometimes annoy you in terms of the way they flaunt their views.....ask them some slightly more complex questions about the topic. Ask them to explain how they came to that conclusion. Ask them anything that will make them dig a little deeper in terms of how they formulated their assessment.

    And them ask them where they stole the answer from........



    Last edited by CanDB; 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM.

  • #2
    I like to think I'm an original, although I'm sure many would beg to differ. I like to write satire... for the first two years I was at it, I didn't reference anything. The reason - I thought it's just a blog, nobody reads it anyways. Who adds references to their blog? Then came a point when I started seeing a lot of activity on my page. I'm sure they're all just spam bots and nobody reads it anyways.... but just in case, I started referencing where I got the idea for my opinion, because I didn't want to be accused of plagiarism. It takes a little longer to write and cite, but I'm happier with them.

    I usually use movies, songs, or cartoons to run along side the current event I'm writing about... so I'm sure people who do read wonder why did you cite the pink panther in your works cited, but I cite wherever my ideas come from whether or not I'm using quotes or just an idea.
    sigpic
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
      I like to think I'm an original, although I'm sure many would beg to differ. I like to write satire... for the first two years I was at it, I didn't reference anything. The reason - I thought it's just a blog, nobody reads it anyways. Who adds references to their blog? Then came a point when I started seeing a lot of activity on my page. I'm sure they're all just spam bots and nobody reads it anyways.... but just in case, I started referencing where I got the idea for my opinion, because I didn't want to be accused of plagiarism. It takes a little longer to write and cite, but I'm happier with them.

      I usually use movies, songs, or cartoons to run along side the current event I'm writing about... so I'm sure people who do read wonder why did you cite the pink panther in your works cited, but I cite wherever my ideas come from whether or not I'm using quotes or just an idea.
      You seem like someone who plays by the rules......good on you Sophia!! Even better, you come across as quite original.

      :thumb:

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        But how many folks do you know that spout off jargon that clearly came from something they read or saw? They talk like it was their assessment when really it is something they just read in the paper or heard on the news.
        That happens all the time in the sports discussion forums.
        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
          That happens all the time in the sports discussion forums.
          For sure!


          But I will admit....most of us are clearly influenced by those we watch and read, especially those we really admire. So, it is very likely that most of us are a wee bit guilty of turning others' ideas into ours. BUT, in all fairness, often we do that because they say what we basically believed in the first place.

          Comment

          Working...
          X