The "don't" Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "don't" Word

I am not sure there is anyone who likes it when someone says the "don't" word to them, even if warranted. Young folks aren't excited about it. Older folks are tired of it. And those in the middle just aren't buying in.

Sure we all know that the word has merit, after all, there are things that you just don't do, for your own good or the good of others. Yes, being told the word and we should know going forward that there are limits to what is acceptable. In fact, those limits can save us from serious harm or danger.

BUT......some folks use the word far too frequently, and some folks forget that it's cooler to use positive responses more often. In fact, it is a pretty good thing when your positive words to "don't" ratio is very high.

Again, some folks need to be told. And if I can mention a certain OLB for our beloved Broncos, well now, he needed to be offered the "don't" word, possibly many times, and it apparently didn't work. In cases like this, sometimes we have to resort to extra words, like "don't ever". The little "ever" word adds an extra level of emphasis to the previous word. It may not work either, but I do not (oops....do not is basically the same word) have trouble with someone emphasizing this message to him. I think you know what I mean.

I can tell you this, that as a semi-retired part time employee, I am quite annoyed at a couple of the so called managers where I work, who actually think that people like me really give a hoot when they overuse the word. I think it makes them feel powerful. Actually it makes them look defensive, because they have not yet figured out the value of that positive words to "don't" ratio. Most of their "don'ts" are going right out the window.

So......use the word efficiently and effectively. Make sure folks know right from wrong, good from bad, and all that important stuff. But "don't be a "don't" person. There, I've used it a little too much for one day.......

Caaahmooon Can...

I generally agree though.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
      Caaahmooon Can...

I generally agree though.
      You got me!

:thumb:

Comment

It's actually two words.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          It's actually two words.
          Do not bring that up!
          sigpic
          2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

It's actually two words.
            In Canada it's one word......we're cheap that way.

Besides.....do we really say "those words" when we refer to "don't"???

(Remember Sam....school's out)

Comment

What's the emphatic form of the verb do?

Comment

What's the emphatic form of the verb do?
                There you go Sam......

Comment

I think "don't" is getting a bad rap here.

There are plenty of welcome applications-- for example, when my wife says, "don't get up, I will get it"; or my kids say, "I don't need a ride home, so-and-so's mom is going to bring me home"; or when I can tell someone at work that "I don't give a $#!+"; or I am having one of those great sex dreams thinking 'don't wake up-- whatever you do, don't wake up!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    There you go Sam......
                    Say it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                      I think "don't" is getting a bad rap here.

There are plenty of welcome applications-- for example, when my wife says, "don't get up, I will get it"; or my kids say, "I don't need a ride home, so-and-so's mom is going to bring me home"; or when I can tell someone at work that "I don't give a $#!+"; or I am having one of those great sex dreams thinking 'don't wake up-- whatever you do, don't wake up!
                      Heck I sure missed the proverbial boat here. I could have gone for the positive side. Here's a few:
                      - don't sweat the small stuff (cuz the big stuff is gonna be rough!!!)
                      - don't mention it (actually I wish you would!!!)
                      - don't mind me (because I'm about to do something very baaaaad!!!)

Anyway.....bottom line, and it all fits, not too many "don'ts", because the positive road is a better one.....unless of course you can incorporate the word (yes Sam....."the word") in a good way per Rancid's perspective.

Comment

Say it.
                        Not sure what to say Sam, other than 2 words (and in fitting with the theme so far)......

do not be so picky.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          Not sure what to say Sam, other than 2 words (and in fitting with the theme so far)......

do not be so picky.
                          The emphatic form of the verb do.

Comment

I get told "don't" all the time. I don't give a damn though.

Adopted Poster
                            AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                              I get told "don't" all the time. I don't give a damn though.

"Dont put that there!"
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X