How Important Is Financial Stability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Important Is Financial Stability?

Is it worth losing your integrity, if it means financial security for you and your loved ones?
    Yes
    44.44%
    No
    55.56%
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

I can't say that I'm proud of my answer, but I voted yes because you said "and your loved ones". I would sacrifice my integrity in a heartbeat to ensure the financial security of my wife and daughter. I would love for my wife to be able to stay home (as would she), and for my daughter's college to be paid for (even though she's only 18 months old) while maintaining our current lifestyle.
    My other love...
    sigpic
    305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Comment

It's a pretty broadly phrased question, but I voted yes. Clearly I wouldn't do anything ridiculous, but since it's broad enough I'll say yeah.
      Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Money isn't worth another's life or my values.
        sigpic
        2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
          Money isn't worth another's life or my values.
          Then why didn't you vote no?
          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
              Then why didn't you vote no?
              Because he didn't want to vote?
              Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
                Would I become the biggest meth kingpin in America in order to secure my family's financial problems for the rest of their lives?

Hmmm maybe.....

If only I had that talent.

Comment

I almost don't see the point in having financial stability if you give up integrity in the process. I know personally that if I sacrificed my integrity that would be the same as losing my self-respect (and presumably the respect that the people I care about have for me).

I think the big question is what kind of act would result in you giving up your integrity. For example, say you're a baseball player and you use some kind of PED. The result of that is you get a big contract because you produced big numbers. While I detest the use of PEDs in sports, I really have no problem with the baseball player doing that to acquire that big pay day (yet I still will despise that player). At the end of the day, baseball (and all sports) is only just a game, it doesn't matter (in regard specifically to play on the field, obviously there are meaningful effects of sports off the field). If that player cheated and took PEDs so he could be financially secure for his family for a long time, I have no problem with that. But I think intent is important. If he took the PEDs just so he could break records and not really with the sole focus of providing a great life for his family, then I'd have a problem with that. I have a problem with the fact that he's messing up his body by taking PEDs.

I don't think you should ever do something that you personally believe is seriously wrong (and by wrong I mean something you think is either immoral or something you would never want someone you really care about doing themselves), regardless of your reason (here, financial stability). To me, having integrity involves not doing all the stuff I personally hold to be seriously wrong as well as not doing stuff that may be wrong but really is not that important (or maybe a better term is sacred) in the grand scheme of things. It's that last part of my definition of integrity that I think is okay to be violated under the right circumstances.

My Edit:
                  So after writing my whole long opinion and realizing I initially voted No in the poll, I realize that I'm really a "Yes." As long as I'm only losing my integrity because I gave up that second part of my integrity definition for what I perceived as a greater good, I'm okay with it. If I lost my integrity because I did something I find to be morally reprehensible, then no, it's not okay.
                  Last edited by TheSheriff; 09-26-2013, 05:14 PM. Reason: Changed my Opinion

Comment

I guess it's hard for me to say I would risk losing my integrity for any reason. With that said, as a business owner you make decisions that are based on treating customers fairly while maintaining a good profit margin. I want to feel good about the guy in the mirror every morning so I try to treat others as I would expect myself or one of my family members to be treated in a similar situation.

I don't think politicians go around mirrors much.
                    [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                      I don't think politicians go around mirrors much.
                      Of course they do. They have to look at a mirror so they can admire themselves

Comment

Working...
                      X