Problem - Mice or Rats under my shed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem - Mice or Rats under my shed!

Sooooo about a year ago I put up a little 10x10 metal shed in my backyard ... I built a platform out of pressure treated lumber, leveled everything out and attached the shed to the platform.

Now, the wife thinks we have a Mice/Rat problem under the shed because she has a garden near this shed and apparently she keeps coming up with plants nearest the shed being eaten.

So ... the question is - How do you get rid of them!?

I can't poison because I have a dog and I think he would eat a mouse/rat if he saw it run out after being poisoned. I've read on all these different traps etc. and some of them are hit and miss.

So I turn to you Bronco bretheren!! WWBND? <- What would Bronco Nation do?
    sigpic

Napalm....
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Comment

Gasoline and a lighter
      sigpic
      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Hahahahahaha!!

Both are great great proposals, but living in a populated neighborhood I don't think either of them would be well received by the neighbors!
        sigpic

Comment

The tesseract
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
            The tesseract
            The only problem with that is that the tesseract cannot be held by mortal hands or they would disintegrate!
            Last edited by Jermz79; 10-03-2013, 05:16 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jermz79 View Post
              Hahahahahaha!!

Both are great great proposals, but living in a populated neighborhood I don't think either of them would be well received by the neighbors!
              Some people would think they were joking. But knowing these guys, they're probably very serious.

Have you tried traps? There's all kinds of different ones out now. If you have an opening under the shed, you can put some in there. Just make sure you clean it out regularly.
              Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                Some people would think they were joking. But knowing these guys, they're probably very serious.

Have you tried traps? There's all kinds of different ones out now. If you have an opening under the shed, you can put some in there. Just make sure you clean it out regularly.
                If I wasn't afraid of burning my shed and 1/2 the Neighborhood down ... I would probably try Gasoline and Fire ... but don't want to wind up in Jail so that's a no go!

We just bought some "sticky Traps" so we'll see how those go .... if not I may have to call an exterminator and see what can be done.
                sigpic

Comment

I have this problem.

But I have mice, voles, and striped ground squirrels. All sorts of critters that live underground, all around my property. Must be thousands of them. Seriously. Holes everywhere.

I have tried a number of solutions, but nothing really works. I have even had them all gassed, and that was pretty expensive. Done it twice, yet still the targets remain, lol.

Try using some dried predator urine. It's a powder you spread and the critters will leave a space for a time. Once they are cleared out, maybe you can do something to mouse-proof under the shed. I think I got it at Home Depot. It only works for a while.

Be careful with those traps. Your dog can get to one stuck to one of those just as easily, and getting that sticky crap off a dogs face would not be fun.

I use those in my storage room. The work pretty good. Just gotta remember to change them.

Comment

Honestly, my best suggestion is a simple Daisy Red Rider.

Just powerful enough to drop a mouse, yet not powerful enough to do much damage to walls, floors, whatever.

That's what I use indoors, and when I can get close enough for it. It's not exactly a long range weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn View Post
                      I have this problem.

But I have mice, voles, and striped ground squirrels. All sorts of critters that live underground, all around my property. Must be thousands of them. Seriously. Holes everywhere.

I have tried a number of solutions, but nothing really works. I have even had them all gassed, and that was pretty expensive. Done it twice, yet still the targets remain, lol.

Try using some dried predator urine. It's a powder you spread and the critters will leave a space for a time. Once they are cleared out, maybe you can do something to mouse-proof under the shed. I think I got it at Home Depot. It only works for a while.

Be careful with those traps. Your dog can get to one stuck to one of those just as easily, and getting that sticky crap off a dogs face would not be fun.

I use those in my storage room. The work pretty good. Just gotta remember to change them.

I heard about that predator urine powder ... wasn't so sure it worked but may have to check it out! Maybe I can flush them out and then use the napalm!! LoL

Originally posted by JWinn View Post
                      Honestly, my best suggestion is a simple Daisy Red Rider.

Just powerful enough to drop a mouse, yet not powerful enough to do much damage to walls, floors, whatever.

That's what I use indoors, and when I can get close enough for it. It's not exactly a long range weapon.

A BB gun would be good if I didn't have to post up in my yard like I was hunting wabbits. I like sitting outside but it could be hours before a mouse/rat even comes out.
                      sigpic

Comment

You should get a 5 gallon pvc bucket, something straight that won't flex that's wide enough to fit across (I usually use one of my arrows or a piece of copper or something. Then get a bottle or a plastic jar, stick the straight thing through it so the bottle or jar spins freely on it, put some peanut butter on the middle of it, and then set it on the bucket (notch the bucket or something so it stays). Fill it with about 6 inches of water and stick it between the shed and the garden, and you'll have a lot of dead mice. Idk why, but I hate hate hate sticky traps... not that drowning them is more humane or anything. I think i'd rather drown than starve to death though.
                        Last edited by theMileHighGuy; 10-03-2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I had a very similar problem, but mine were in the chicken coop. Can't poison or set snap traps around the chickens, plus I have a dog and kids. On top of that I had some mice in the garage and the snap traps weren't getting them - even when they were set on the sensitive side.

I decided that a live trap was the way to go. Tried one that didn't work so I started to research it. People were raving about this trap:

http://www.amazon.com/Kness-101-0-00.../dp/B00004RA4D

I remembered that the store where I bought the first live trap also carried this one so I went back and exchanged it, paying the extra few bucks for the new one.

I'm SO glad I did. Mice count is at 27 and I've had it about a month. I rid my garage of two separate mouse families in about 3 days. Now it's working overtime out with the chickens.

The biggest complaint is that it sometimes maims the mouse (a horrible outcome for the more humane buyers that simply release the mice somewhere else once caught). But, for me... well, dropping the whole trap in a 5 gallon bucket of water for a few minutes does the trick. :thumb:

What's great about it is that once one mouse gets inside then others come to check out what's going on. They get scooped too. You will have to check it at least once a day as the winding mechanism only allows for about 5-6 mice to be caught. Once that spring is spent then they can easily get out again. At first, in the chicken coop, there were so many mice that I was finding the trap empty, but completely sprung.

So yeah, I HIGHLY recommend this trap.
                          Winter is Coming!

Comment

cats

10 characters
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Oh, just wanted to add that the Ketch All trap is for mice. If you have rats then it won't work. I'm not sure if they make a similar one for rats.

Also, no bait needed for the Ketch All.
                              Winter is Coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X