• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    cats

10 characters

Reminds me of...

Mice --> Cats --> Dogs --> Lions --> Elephants --> and then back to mice again.
    Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
      You should get a 5 gallon pvc bucket, something straight that won't flex that's wide enough to fit across (I usually use one of my arrows or a piece of copper or something. Then get a bottle or a plastic jar, stick the straight thing through it so the bottle or jar spins freely on it, put some peanut butter on the middle of it, and then set it on the bucket (notch the bucket or something so it stays). Fill it with about 6 inches of water and stick it between the shed and the garden, and you'll have a lot of dead mice. Idk why, but I hate hate hate sticky traps... not that drowning them is more humane or anything. I think i'd rather drown than starve to death though.
      This is interesting ... I just searched You Tube and found the setup ... I think I might give this a try to be honest!

Thanks a million!!!

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      cats

10 characters
      Ugggh I HATE cats ... honestly I don't know which I'd rather NOT have ... cats or mice!

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
      Oh, just wanted to add that the Ketch All trap is for mice. If you have rats then it won't work. I'm not sure if they make a similar one for rats.

Also, no bait needed for the Ketch All.
      That is part of our problem ... we're not sure what we actually have to be honest, we know something is eating the wifes plants that are nearest the fence and shed so we assume they are Rats/Mice because we've read they like to stay along side of something so they can "feel" where they are going with their limited sight.

So if we bought the trap for mice and we had rats it wouldn't work and vice versa ... I couldn't care less if the trap maims them or not ... I'm all about animal cruelty when it comes to nasty varmints!
      Last edited by Jermz79; 10-03-2013, 04:22 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

OK, I LOVE the fire idea.....but you took it off the table.

Poison is no good for the dog...can't hurt the dog.

You don't like cats, I get that.

Shooting is not practical.

I got this:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
          OK, I LOVE the fire idea.....but you took it off the table.

Poison is no good for the dog...can't hurt the dog.

You don't like cats, I get that.

Shooting is not practical.

I got this:

Personally I love this idea, get a few local snake species and just turn them lose under the shed ... BUT the wife's feelings to snakes are my feeling towards cats ... no way it happens ... well I guess I shouldn't say no way because technically I could do it without her knowing!!!!
          Hmmmmmmm!?!!?
          sigpic

Comment

Most of these ideas posted ive seen done and they didnt work on Tom and Jerry. So I think you need to be original and try something new.......................................... Did you try asking them to stop? You never know....

Comment

Originally posted by McNasty89 View Post
              Most of these ideas posted ive seen done and they didnt work on Tom and Jerry. So I think you need to be original and try something new.......................................... Did you try asking them to stop? You never know....
              Honestly, they don't really bother me at this point .. BUT if I have to hear one more time how they are eating my wife's garden .... then I may just snap and resort to Gasoline and Fire

or Napalm!!!!
              :devil:
              sigpic

Comment

I have an easy solution that works.

Get an Owl statue from a store and set it up nearby. You can spend as much or little as you want. You can order them online or at a Farm store. Obviously the critters will be spooked by the presence of a predator and will rapidly vacate. No worries about the dog, poisons or shooting things.

This concept works great on windows as well. If you hang up a picture of an owl, or even a silhouette of an owl (cut out from black construction paper) birds will not fly into your windows and it will scare away the critters.

Try it. It is a cheap fix and if it does not work for you it will not set you back much; but some in my family have done it and it works like a champ.
                sigpic

Comment

or there is good old fire:

Keep coming back to that one....
                  sigpic

Comment

I used to be an exterminator and the best way to get rid of them is poison and lots of snap traps. If your setting snap traps make sure you stick them against the shed walls as mice like to run along structures. Sticky boards I would not recommend because usually adult mice can feel a sticky trap with there long wiskers and you usually only catch babies due to short wiskers.

My recomendation would be to find rat/mouse poison that you can buy in bulk online along with locking bait stations. One pack of this stuff can kill up to 30 mice. Set the holes of the station against the structure as well so the mice run into them. Also remember to get locking ones cause if some kid got into poision on your property and they aren't locked then you are responsible.

As far as pets go, plenty have eaten a dead mouse after it's been poisoned. The amount of poison they would have to injest would have to be alot. If your worried about pets getting into anything then I would go out and buy some cheap chicken fencing and put it around the shed to keep pets out until they are eliminated.

Hope this helps and good luck
                    Last edited by martz11; 10-04-2013, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by martz11 View Post
                      I used to be an exterminator and the best way to get rid of them is poison and lots of snap traps. If your setting snap traps make sure you stick them against the shed walls as mice like to run along structures. Sticky boards I would not recommend because usually adult mice can feel a sticky trap with there long wiskers and you usually only catch babies due to short wiskers.

My recomendation would be to find rat/mouse poison that you can buy in bulk online along with locking bait stations. One pack of this stuff can kill up to 30 mice. Set the holes of the station against the structure as well so the mice run into them. Also remember to get locking ones cause if some kid got into poision on your property and they aren't locked then you are responsible.

As far as pets go, plenty have eaten a dead mouse after it's been poisoned. The amount of poison they would have to injest would have to be alot. If your worried about pets getting into anything then I would go out and buy some cheap chicken fencing and put it around the shed to keep pets out until they are eliminated.

Hope this helps and good luck
                      Thanks man, I think I'm going to try a few of the non poison methods first and then a last resort I will go to poison if needed. Apparently the 5 gallon bucket method that was posted works well according to some research I did last night so I will try that one first.

I'm still considering calling around to see if I can get a native specie of snake, and just turn it lose under the shed ... I'd much rather have a snake living there than mice/rats .... not sure where or how I will go about getting the snake but I'm sure there is options.
                      sigpic

Comment

Its a shame that it aint raccoons getting in the garden, I know a fix for that! I did read up a few posts and owls were mentioned. That sometines works for mice but I dont think rats worry about them too much. owls are the best way to get rid of woodpeckers if you ever need to. Good luck to ya. Also, as was mentioned, a dog would have to eat quite a bit of poison to kill them. Eating a dead rat/mouse prolly wouldnt faze em.
                        A few years ago, I worked on a hog farm. One pig got into a whole box of rat blocks and basically cleaned them up.
                        Put him in a seperate pen in case he died, didnt faze him either.

Comment

Update - Well .... we tried a few different things over the past week or so ... with no luck to this point

we tried the 5 gallon bucket method and the only thing we caught was a picture of a Squirell sitting on the edge of the bucket eating the Peanut Butter off of the spinning can!!!

We tried Sticky traps and caught nothing!

My neighbor had a fake owl so we set that out there and really haven't noticed a difference!

SOOOOO we went yesterday and bought some locking traps with poison!!!

At this point we will keep the dog away from the area where the posion is, and I will check the yard everyday for dead rodents!

At this point I'm not even sure IF we have mice/rats.
                          sigpic

Comment

bleach and ammonia. Take your dog somewhere else for a few hours. Get a mask. Have a friend come watch you from the house in case you are in need of rescue.

Bleach and ammonia down any holes you see (DONT MIX IT BEFORE HAND). Just drop some bleach down there, then the ammonia, and get away. Anywhere you can get it down under the shed, but you have to be extremely careful you wont get the fumes and can get away quick.

It is a pretty painful death, as anyone can attest to that may have accidentally caught a whiff of this mixture in their life. If you go this route, don't screw around with it. If it hits your eyes or lungs, you are going to be in a world of hurt. test it in small quantities first, but it takes care of the problem.

EDIT: This is maybe a last case scenario. I would just go with the traps first off if you aren't even sure you have mice. Until you actually know, I wouldn't go this route.

Also, it could be squirrels if its just your garden that's getting eaten. We have lots of squirrels where i live and even some rabbits. In that case, bigger traps.
                            Last edited by fightinglee; 10-18-2013, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fightinglee View Post
                              bleach and ammonia. Take your dog somewhere else for a few hours. Get a mask. Have a friend come watch you from the house in case you are in need of rescue.

Bleach and ammonia down any holes you see (DONT MIX IT BEFORE HAND). Just drop some bleach down there, then the ammonia, and get away. Anywhere you can get it down under the shed, but you have to be extremely careful you wont get the fumes and can get away quick.

It is a pretty painful death, as anyone can attest to that may have accidentally caught a whiff of this mixture in their life. If you go this route, don't screw around with it. If it hits your eyes or lungs, you are going to be in a world of hurt. test it in small quantities first, but it takes care of the problem.

EDIT: This is maybe a last case scenario. I would just go with the traps first off if you aren't even sure you have mice. Until you actually know, I wouldn't go this route.

Hmmmm that's interesting, I've actually never heard of this "mixture" but I just looked it up on Google and man ... it sounds like some Breaking Bad type stuff!!

maybe as a very last resort I'll try that out
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jermz79 View Post
                                Hmmmm that's interesting, I've actually never heard of this "mixture" but I just looked it up on Google and man ... it sounds like some Breaking Bad type stuff!!

maybe as a very last resort I'll try that out
                                You should go apply the mixture in your whitey tighties as a tribute to Heisenburg.

No, but really, if you go this route, research it well, and make sure the two don't mix until your ready to get the hell out of there. The fumes move quick and are overpowering.

Comment

Working...
                                X