Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those Minutes Before Leaving Are Really Seconds......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DenverBlood
    replied
    The clock sure is dragging at work today. Feels like I've been here 72 hours. But in reality it's only been 7 1/2.

I think I have about 10 hours left to go.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I dread the day my son can drive and asks for the car keys along with spending money and the insurance payment.

He is 13 months old and it will probably be next week.
    I hope time goes very slow for you, with that wonderful young child to take care of. I have often wished that I could go back, just for one day, to be back when our kids were young......and to feel that feeling.

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
    Is this like when I wake up in the morning and don't want to go. I mean unless it's something that is exciting or I want to do I really can't stand waking up. Weird thing is I hate going to sleep.

So in conclusion never want to sleep but when I do I never want to stop sleeping!
    Jake.....I wish your time slows down when you are in sleep / relax mode, and speeds right by when you have to do something not so appealing. But also remember this my friend, for all those days I hated getting up for, I sure had a lot of good ones!!!

:thumb:

Leave a comment:

• JakeNbake
    replied
    Is this like when I wake up in the morning and don't want to go. I mean unless it's something that is exciting or I want to do I really can't stand waking up. Weird thing is I hate going to sleep.

So in conclusion never want to sleep but when I do I never want to stop sleeping!

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Geez DB......you and I are very much the same! It's sort of like those so called scary movies (can't remember the name) when one thing after another happens to cause a very unlikely accident. I can see it now, next time we go somewhere for a vacation, I'll be worrying that I left on a tap, that I rechecked 5 times before I left.....or that a pillow falls on the floor, and while falling, creates so much friction with some furniture that a spark arises, and turns into a big fire!!!!

When my kids were getting their licenses time took on a new standard.......when they passed their test, the time between that moment and when they asked for the car went by like the speed of light, whereas when they took the car out, the time almost stopped as I waited for them return home! The joys of parenthood!!!
    I dread the day my son can drive and asks for the car keys along with spending money and the insurance payment.

He is 13 months old and it will probably be next week.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I hear you Can. When I go out of town I suddenly freak about everything in the house.

Like if I turn the AC up so it doesn't run will all my electronics suddenly fuse and blow up?

Will my wife's unplugged hair straightener somehow get heat and fall on the floor and catch fire?

~~~~~~~
    Geez DB......you and I are very much the same! It's sort of like those so called scary movies (can't remember the name) when one thing after another happens to cause a very unlikely accident. I can see it now, next time we go somewhere for a vacation, I'll be worrying that I left on a tap, that I rechecked 5 times before I left.....or that a pillow falls on the floor, and while falling, creates so much friction with some furniture that a spark arises, and turns into a big fire!!!!

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
    The clock slows down when it is 11:00 on a Sunday and the Broncos kickoff is at 2:30.

The clock speeds up every time I have a birthday or when one of my children reach a major milestone such as a driver's license or High School graduation or when one of my remaining older relatives pass.
    When my kids were getting their licenses time took on a new standard.......when they passed their test, the time between that moment and when they asked for the car went by like the speed of light, whereas when they took the car out, the time almost stopped as I waited for them return home! The joys of parenthood!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rancid
    replied
    The clock slows down when it is 11:00 on a Sunday and the Broncos kickoff is at 2:30.

The clock speeds up every time I have a birthday or when one of my children reach a major milestone such as a driver's license or High School graduation or when one of my remaining older relatives pass.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    I hear you Can. When I go out of town I suddenly freak about everything in the house.

Like if I turn the AC up so it doesn't run will all my electronics suddenly fuse and blow up?

Will my wife's unplugged hair straightener somehow get heat and fall on the floor and catch fire?

Stuff that has 0 chance of happening yet I have to check everything before I leave.

Also as far as leaving for work. I used to always get up at 625 shower, shave, let the dogs out, make my work lunch, eat breakfast, feed the dogs, brush, get dressed and floss on the ride. Was out the door by 707 and arriving on time at 730. Maybe briefly before.

Somewhere in the last year along the lines of having our first child and turning 30 I suddenly was leaving and getting to work late. Same routine because the baby isn't even up yet. So he doesn't require attention.

So I started getting up 3/5 minutes earlier on a non shave day and 10 minutes earlier on a shave day at 615. That worked for awhile yet recently I seem to again sometimes not get out the door till 710 or later.

Same routine but the minutes seem to go faster. It's gotta be underestimating that leisurely down time during breakfast where I check news, scores, social networks on my phone. Some days take longer than others. But it doesn't feel like it.

I swear that clock speeds up on me some days.

Leave a comment:

• JWinn
    replied
    Sorry.

I guess I just don't have problems before leaving. Usually, I am waiting for someone else to:

A. Find her shoes
    B. Get her hair just right
    C. Finish her makeup
    D. Find something that she needs.

I often spend the time playing some nonsense on the Ipad while waiting. Or cranking up the stereo while waiting in the car.

Got PLENTY of time to make sure everything is right before I go.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by JWinn View Post
    My trouble starts after I leave.

About 20 minutes later when I realize my fishing license is in my other gear set up. When I pull up at the pump, and realize my wallet is back at home. Whatever it was I needed, it's sitting on the counter while I speed away, lol.

Have not forgotten my tickets yet though so far. :thumb:

There's always next game! haha

Tell you one thing. At a Bronco game, the 6 hours fly by in a heartbeat, and at a Rockies game, I can get in a nice nap.

Yah......I only posted the "before I leave" issues.

I also forget what I meant to take.......so many times

Leave a comment:

• JWinn
    replied
    My trouble starts after I leave.

About 20 minutes later when I realize my fishing license is in my other gear set up. When I pull up at the pump, and realize my wallet is back at home. Whatever it was I needed, it's sitting on the counter while I speed away, lol.

Have not forgotten my tickets yet though so far. :thumb:

There's always next game! haha

Tell you one thing. At a Bronco game, the 6 hours fly by in a heartbeat, and at a Rockies game, I can get in a nice nap.

Leave a comment:

• Those Minutes Before Leaving Are Really Seconds......

I've written in the past how time does not always seem to go by at the same speed. For example, a dull work day can take forever, a baseball game seems to lag at times, and a special event takes waaaaay too long to arrive........whereas when you need to go somewhere, time flies faster than ever (throw in some bad traffic, and we are now in "racing" time mode!)

Today's segment (of the never-ending lectures from this old dude) is geared towards those final minutes before you have to leave the house, when you think you can do a number of things before you go, and still be on time. My sense is this......we are very poor at estimating how long it takes to do a number of little things! Say I have to leave at 10:00 am sharp, and it's 9:30 am, and I have few small items to attend to. Maybe I need to shave, brush my teeth, choose what to wear, check my email, and maybe one or two other little things. FOR SOME REASON those handful of tasks tend to take twice as long as I expected. Of course, I tend to also throw in a couple of other goodies, thinking that I can fatten the old schedule and still leave on time. Sort of like, "hey, I can eat a few more things and not gain any weight". (FTR......any time I go on the computer it takes longer than I expected!)

So there may be the culprit......I suck at estimating the "task time", and I also suck at trying to fit in extra stuff in the process. Even worse than the 10:00 am deadline example is any time we go on a trip, and have to leave for the airport at a set time. Not only do I struggle with calculating effort, but I also start to freak out about things that may cause us trouble when we are away......that, by the way, have never caused us trouble before! Can a plugged in device suddenly start by itself, heat up and possibly burn down the neighbourhood, while we are away??? Shoot, next thing you know I am double-checking everything, imagining some 1 in a billion outcome.

I have a solution, and sometimes I follow it......leave 10 minutes earlier, and only do those last minute things, well, not at the last minute!

Hope time treats you well.....and if you are loving what you are doing, I hope time slows waaaay down for you. (same goes the other way)
    :thumb:
Working...
X