Any Poets here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Poets here?

Just curious if anyone does poetry or interested in poetry, and who everyone's favorite poets are.
    I really like poetry, mostly write Arhymmatic poetry.

My favorite poets though are Edgar Allan Poe, Dante Alighieri, and Shakespeare.
    Also like Walt Whitman and Alfred Tennyson but wouldn't call them favorites.
    Last edited by InsaneBlaze23; 12-05-2013, 01:35 AM.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

There was a poetry thread ages ago. She wrote some good stuff. It didn't get much response, though.

I write freestyle. I never rhyme. Some would say that it wasn't poetry. Prose?

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...ghlight=poetry
    Administrator
    sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I like Poe… I also enjoy reading Neil Gaiman's poems… I can't say I'm very familiar with famous poets, but occasionally I'll read some online if I find one that I enjoy. It kind of blows my mind how talented some folks are with the perfect rhythm.

Most of mine don't rhyme either … do you write poetry InsaneBlaze23?
      sigpic
      Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
      Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
      Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
      Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

I went to some cynghanedd classes earlier this year. I competed in our local Eisteddfod (literature and music fesitval) and won on my 1st attempt for the Englyn although there were only two competing lol!

Unfortunately I've pretty much forgotten what I've learned already which is a shame really as "cynghanedd" has such a history to it. This form of Welsh poetry was used by the bards to write about going to battles and to pay tribute to the Welsh Princes back in the sixth century.

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
          There was a poetry thread ages ago. She wrote some good stuff. It didn't get much response, though.

I write freestyle. I never rhyme. Some would say that it wasn't poetry. Prose?

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...ghlight=poetry
          Didn't know, can merge the 2 if you want. Poetry to me is a good way to blow off steam or get something off your chest without giving unneeded information to strangers. While also seeing if you connect with others who are in the same boat.

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
          I like Poe… I also enjoy reading Neil Gaiman's poems… I can't say I'm very familiar with famous poets, but occasionally I'll read some online if I find one that I enjoy. It kind of blows my mind how talented some folks are with the perfect rhythm.

Most of mine don't rhyme either … do you write poetry InsaneBlaze23?
          I do a little, at least Arhymmatic poetry. Which is poetry that doesn't necessarily rhyme, kind of a hopeless romantic so it's always romance related poetry.
          sigpic
          Adopted Broncos:
          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
            I went to some cynghanedd classes earlier this year. I competed in our local Eisteddfod (literature and music fesitval) and won on my 1st attempt for the Englyn although there were only two competing lol!

Unfortunately I've pretty much forgotten what I've learned already which is a shame really as "cynghanedd" has such a history to it. This form of Welsh poetry was used by the bards to write about going to battles and to pay tribute to the Welsh Princes back in the sixth century.
            Sounds fun! I'm one of those who forgets what I've learned as well, even when it's something I like, unless I'm doing it on a regular basis.

There is conference coming up near me in Feb., I've kind of been looking at. It offers all kinds of poetry and various writing classes where you can pick and choose which ones you want to attend. How'd you enjoy the classes you attended?

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
            Didn't know, can merge the 2 if you want. Poetry to me is a good way to blow off steam or get something off your chest without giving unneeded information to strangers. While also seeing if you connect with others who are in the same boat.

I do a little, at least Arhymmatic poetry. Which is poetry that doesn't necessarily rhyme, kind of a hopeless romantic so it's always romance related poetry.
            Nice....
            sigpic
            Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
            Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
            Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
            Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

The closest I get to poetry is...

I'm a poet and I didn't even know it....

Yeah I'm not very good

Adopted Broncos:
              (2011-2013) Eric Decker
              (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
              (2019-Current) Drew Lock
              Adopted posters:
              Everyone

Comment

I read this sage like poem once while I was in my one of my university's bathroom stalls:

Here I sit brokenhearted
                Came to poop but only farted.

Friggin tragic.

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

I though about it but it's from 2009. I'd rather keep them separate. Unless another mod disagrees.
                  Administrator
                  sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Well it's late night and insomnia is keeping me up. Here is a recent free verse/Arhymmatic poem is wrote, on the romance side after a break up.

A hopeless romantic with no one to point it towards...Ain't that bout A... Like Shakespeare or Alighieri without pencil and paper....
                    Like The Sun without Flames...
                    Like The Ocean without Waves...
                    Cupids Chokehold...But he has no Arrows..
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Broncos:
                    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I've published my own poetry collection on Amazon. Published author here!
                      Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
                      sigpic

Comment

Poe is great. I like a lot of the English Romantic period writers. Blake, Keats, Byron. I do write a lot. Short stories and songs.

I have no problem posting a verse or two from a song:

I remember sitting there all alone with images of you burnt on me
                        Out the window everything seems on freeze frame
                        And the sun sets low in your eyes,
                        Like a candle’s flame or a short descent,
                        You’re here one second and you’re gone the next
                        Sounds seem hollow as they float around me, they echo and burst over this canopy
                        And still I watch the sun sink in my eyes

The desert sheds no rain on me, but you, like an oasis, seem to move towards me
                        And like a drug I just can’t break free, you’ve broken and you’ve shattered me
                        Your heart races, your cut and bleeding
                        Illusions speed around you now there quickly fading
                        From the blue, from the blue into the black

Comment

and yes, that is a niel young reference in that last line.

Comment

Back in the day I used to write a lot.

I'll have to dig a few up and share.
                            *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                            *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                            *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by Vhailor View Post
                              I've published my own poetry collection on Amazon. Published author here!
                              You don't mind sharing one or two with us, do you?

For those who haven't seen the HBO documentary on Stephen Sondheim, I highly recommend it. He was a famous writer on Broadway. He composed some famous works, but got his start as a lyricist. Though not a poet, he does discuss the differences between the two. He explained how poetry is allowed to be an ominous/symbolic expression which provokes thought, while lyricism is restrained to the parameters of meters. As such, lyricism must be a concise effort that requires a selective utilization of words. A laborious endeavor to make your point clear, but artistically complimentary to the music or theme. He goes on to explain how poetry, not limited by these parameters, can be a more liberal form of expression. He says that poetry does not, and probably should not require such concision.

I've written a good amount of lyrics over the years, and very little poetry for this exact reason. I guess I need the parameters of music to give me direction. There's just so much chaos to make sense of in free form, and I guess there is some self doubt there. I don't think my poetry is very good at all. My favorite poem is T.S. Eliot's Journey of the Magi. There is so much going on in every stanza. People have been trying to analyze it for decades. It's actually quite dark, which I think is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X