Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US woman arrested over nine-year overdue rental video

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • US woman arrested over nine-year overdue rental video

    A woman in South Carolina was arrested and jailed overnight over a nine-year overdue video rental.

    Kayla Finley, 27, had visited a police station to report a crime, only to find a warrant for her arrest had been issued in 2005, when she was 18.

    Ms Finley had rented a VHS copy of romantic comedy Monster In Law, starring Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda.

    According to local television station Fox Carolina, Ms Finley was "shocked and disgusted" at the arrest.

    On the channel's Facebook page, Ms Finley wrote: "I went to the police station to press charges of harassment and stalking. Not once did I ever receive anything regarding this [video]. If I had, it would have been taken care of immediately.

    "This is a bogus charge and everyone knows it."

    Her comment drew support from other online commenters.

    "Kayla, this is absolutely ridiculous!" wrote Latisha Hensley, also from South Carolina.

    "What a waste of everyone's time and money."

    Monster In Law
    Police said several warning letters about the overdue video were sent to Ms Finley, but she had since changed address.

    Monster In Law, released in 2005 and directed by Robert Luketic, was mostly panned by critics.

    A spokesperson for the Pickens County Sheriff's Office was unavailable to speak to the BBC.

    However, prison records confirmed that Ms Finley was arrested last Thursday and kept overnight.

    She was charged with "failure to return rented video cassette" and will appear in court at a later date.

    "I fully intend on fighting this," she told Fox Carolina.


    Seems kinda harsh

  • #2
    When I was in my early twenties I got arrested for not getting an emissions test done. It was a similar situation where I moved and didn't have my address updated with the county. So, when I didn't get my emissions test done it actually turned into a warrant for my arrest because they revoked my registration.

    Morale of the story: "Always forward your mail."
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

    Comment


    • #3
      Seems a bit absurd over a $5 video rental.

      But I guess technically it's considered petty theft.

      That's what I like about redbox these days though. You have to provide a credit card on file to rent anything. You miss your deadlines past a month and you've paid $30 outright for the video and they consider it yours.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Absolutely ridiculous!
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
          Seems a bit absurd over a $5 video rental.

          But I guess technically it's considered petty theft.

          That's what I like about redbox these days though. You have to provide a credit card on file to rent anything. You miss your deadlines past a month and you've paid $30 outright for the video and they consider it yours.
          I thought that was the same for all rental places? Maybe she used a local company?

          I'm kind of confused on why she's fighting it. Did she return the video or not? Can't fight it if the charges are true. Being put in jail for it? Yeah, that's a little harsh.

          Oh, and $5.00 rental plus 9 years of over-due fees would add up. Kind of curious to see how much that is.
          Administrator

          #Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

          #LupusAwarenessMonth

          "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

          Comment


          • #6
            One question, did they tack on an extra 50¢ fine for not rewinding?
            sigpic

            Adopted Posters:
            Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
            Adopted By:
            Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
            Broncbeat

            Comment


            • #7
              Can you even rewind anymore? haha.

              Hey she kept the video and clearly didn't deal with it for 9 years. Ooops to her as its been said its a theft.

              be kind, please rewind!!
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                I thought that was the same for all rental places? Maybe she used a local company?

                I'm kind of confused on why she's fighting it. Did she return the video or not? Can't fight it if the charges are true. Being put in jail for it? Yeah, that's a little harsh.

                Oh, and $5.00 rental plus 9 years of over-due fees would add up. Kind of curious to see how much that is.
                I can't remember for sure. Seems so long ago that we had to get movies that way. I'm kind of thinking you didn't have to put a card on file. Just a proper ID. 10 years ago that would still cut out a huge population of potential renters that only carried cash.

                My son is going to laugh one day and say what the heck was a movie/VHS rental place? So this story makes me feel old.

                As for the overdue late fees that reiterates why I love Redbox. Late fees quit accumulating after 29 days and the movie is yours. So you can't be on the hook for 9 years overdue fees if you lost a DVD or your child/dog broke the disc.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  wow...VHS seems like a million years ago...man i miss block buster

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by captainbronco View Post
                    wow...VHS seems like a million years ago...man i miss block buster
                    Growing up we had a place called JP Video. It was such a HUGE treat to go there and spend about 30 minutes trying to pick out a movie or game. It was a place where you left the box at the display and took a "fake" box that had a number on it to the counter. The clerk there was so good he'd see that number and say the movie title or game name. It was impressive. Rarely was he wrong!!!
                    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                      Growing up we had a place called JP Video. It was such a HUGE treat to go there and spend about 30 minutes trying to pick out a movie or game. It was a place where you left the box at the display and took a "fake" box that had a number on it to the counter. The clerk there was so good he'd see that number and say the movie title or game name. It was impressive. Rarely was he wrong!!!
                      haha thats awesome i just remember as a kid i couldnt wait for friday nights cause my mom would order pizza and she would take my 2 older brothers and i to the Blockbuster down the street and she would let us each rent a movie
                      it would either be 3 ninjas,homeward bound 1 or 2 annnnd TMNT haha man i miss those days

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I remember when I was younger too and we didn't have crap like renting movies. We had 3 channels of nothing to watch unlike today where we have 500 channels of nothing to watch.

                        Watch TV, heck we weren't allowed in the house unless it was dark outside and then if we wanted to watch TV it was whatever our parents were watching. This is because it was the only TV in the house, unlike today where you have a TV in every room of the house. No Internet, No TV, oh my, how could we possibly grow up to be good contributing citizens if the computer or TV didn't show us how.

                        Pay for the darn movie if the place is even still in business. It was probably her fault they went out of business because she didn't pay her $2,578.00 late fees.
                        sigpic
                        Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                        2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                        2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X