X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
    Sometimes people read what we write and just don't know how to respond. I read it a couple days ago, along with the other one on repetition, and just though hmmmm.

I find myself to be very original, and somewhat smart, but I always cite the sources where I develop my ideas from.
    "hmmmm" works for me!:thumb:

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
    Good idea CanDB. Tomorrow I am going to be 'original' and go commando.
    I am glad to inspire others to "do their thing"......but try not to mention the source when you put on your "command-o" performance.

Leave a comment:

• Rancid
    replied
    Good idea CanDB. Tomorrow I am going to be 'original' and go commando.

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied
    Sometimes people read what we write and just don't know how to respond. I read it a couple days ago, along with the other one on repetition, and just though hmmmm.

I find myself to be very original, and somewhat smart, but I always cite the sources where I develop my ideas from.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Ha ha.....sometimes when we write, nobody reads.....

Leave a comment:

• Sometimes When We're Being "Original".....We Really Aren't

I am just as guilty as the next person when it comes to "thinking" I'm original. Sometimes I watch something, or read something, and next thing you know......it's becomes entrenched in my opinion. Say you watch NFL Access, and the experts there give out their assessments of certain players. Next thing you know, that may become our point of view. In fact you will probably read comments within our football forums that are unoriginal, but the poster might think that they derived the assessment on their own.

Hey, that's reality. At least we're listening!

Or did you ever think you came up with a new tune for a song, and yet you were greatly influenced by a song you recently heard?

Same goes for political views, financial commentary, even the coffee you drink. We are walking targets. We screen out what we see and hear, and we make some of it our own.

Don't get me wrong. Most of it is innocent. Most of it is normal stuff. BUT, there are some folks I know who do this pretty much every day. It's either they like to act smart, or they truly have no clue on what they spout out, or they just don't realize that folks around them can see right through. One guy I work with fits the category of: listen to me, I have intellectual views on everything. The truth is, I know where he gets most of it....from elsewhere, including people like me. In fact he has repeated things to me that I explained to him previously. The trouble is, you can fool everybody some of the time.

Hey, I don't blame folks for repeating things they've heard or read. But if you do, try to mention the source. It doesn't weaken your stance, rather it lends credibility to it, especially if you build it into your own commentary. It's like using a quote from someone to support your theory.

So, try to be original, and if you don't always have the creative juices, don't feel weak for revealing the source for a good point made. Oh yah, and before you record a new song, make sure it's yours.....some dudes get a little grouchy when you steal their music!
Working...
X