Do you give money to the Homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you give money to the Homeless?

So a couple weeks ago I was out on the town with some freinds and stopped at a gas station to grab a drink, as I was walking in I noticed a homeless man sitting in a wheelchair, he was an amputee missing one leg and he also had a dog with him ... as I walked by he didn't ask me for any money or for that matter didn't even talk to me.

As I walked into the gas station for whatever reason my heart sank and I started to feel really bad for him. I know there are thousands and thousands of homeless people out there (some based on their own choice) but it's not often that I have an opportunity to "Help". So in the gas station there was a sandwhich shop, I grabbed a large sub, bag of chips and a drink ..... and I also grabbed a can of cheap dog food.

As I was paying the cashier said "god bless you", I kinda looked at her odd and she said "well I assume you're buying this for the man outside?" .... I said I was and she proceeded to tell me that the man comes in and begs for food for his dog more than he begs for food for himself and that he will probably be super grateful.

So I walked out of the store and around the corner and handed this man everything, he literally broke down in tears. The look on his face was one of relief. He immediately opened the can of dog food and dumped it out on the ground for the dog which started eating as if he hadn't eaten in days ..... I stood and talked to him for a minute and he was telling me that there are so many people that walk by and look at him as if he was a monster, he doesn't like to sit out on the street and panhandle because he is an amputee and cannot move very fast so if something were to happen he wouldn't be able to move out of harms way quickly. I asked him about his dog, he said he feels horrible that the dog has to suffer along with him but he keeps her around for protection, someone will be less likely to attack him if he has the dog with him and he told me the same thing that the cashier told me that he begs for food for the dog before himself, whatever little money he does get sometimes goes to the dog before him.

NOW ... with all that said, do you ever give money or other things such as food etc. to the homeless?
    sigpic

Great story bro!! Personally, I don't give money anymore, but I will give them food in a heartbeat. Some are so grateful that I'd want to do whatever I can for them!
    sigpic

Comment

Nope, not one cent. I'll put money in the boot for "fill the boot" or other known causes, but not into the hands of those who are unfortunate to be standing on the corner begging. There are too many stories of people watching them go around the corner to get into their nice car, or check their texts on their high priced cell phone.

Granted, there are many who need the help, which is why I'll offer food. Their reaction will usually tell me if they are sincere or not.

I had, one time, a guy ask me for money because he was SO HUNGRY. I said- "wait here a second" and reached into my truck for a new bag of pretzels. I handed it to him saying I had no money on me, but he could have those. His face pinched up and he sneered at me a nasty "(bad word), I ain't taking that!!". Made it obvious he wasn't really that hungry.
      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
        I had, one time, a guy ask me for money because he was SO HUNGRY. I said- "wait here a second" and reached into my truck for a new bag of pretzels. I handed it to him saying I had no money on me, but he could have those. His face pinched up and he sneered at me a nasty "(bad word), I ain't taking that!!". Made it obvious he wasn't really that hungry.
        If you happen to spot one of those guys again, here's what you do: Whenever they ask for money to buy some food, simply respond "I'd help you out, but all I have are these cigarettes and some booze." and walk away.

In all seriousness, I don't give to homeless people. However, Jermz, the situation with the man and the dog, I commend you for that. That would be a situation where I would rethink my usual actions.

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
          Nope, not one cent. I'll put money in the boot for "fill the boot" or other known causes, but not into the hands of those who are unfortunate to be standing on the corner begging. There are too many stories of people watching them go around the corner to get into their nice car, or check their texts on their high priced cell phone.

Granted, there are many who need the help, which is why I'll offer food. Their reaction will usually tell me if they are sincere or not.

This is exactly what I do as well...the ones that really need it are grateful and the ones that don't, don't get to take away from those that actually need the help.
          sigpic

Comment

Never....most of them are out there looking for money for anything but food. By now I look so angry when I see one they pick up the....stay away from me......vibe. I find begging to be offensive actually. You are sitting there, asking for people to give up what they have earned just because you asked. Most re so lazy they use a sign too.

Go earn it somehow.

OK there ends my rant so I don't have to move this to P&R because of me.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I really think it depends on the "feel" of the situation ya know .... there are times where you can just feel that the person is in need and is grateful and then there are those like Ebsoria ran into that just want to make a quick buck!

I NEVER would give money to anyone though regardless of situation. I'd rather buy something or give something that I know is of use to the person ... I always feel that if I give them money it's going to be spent on crap they don't need such as booze and cigarettes.
              sigpic

Comment

I've given food to people numerous times, but I quit giving cash to homeless people a long time ago. I'll even put gas in somebody's car, etc. Here in Boise it's pretty easy for someone to get shelter and two free meals a day, so I'm really cautious of people asking for cash. The spokesperson for the mission has actually asked people here in the valley not to give cash to homeless people because too often it goes to aiding an addiction.
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I did the same thing before kudos to you. I told the person to wait and I'd be back. I went in and bought a small bag of dogfood and a rawhide for the dog, then purchased a large bag of beef jerkey and some granola bars for the guy.

He said thank you, and I was on my way. Happened in your city SA131, by the Starbucks off 95. The guy must track back and forth, because I saw him again with his old pup in the Fall.

I'd rather give them something other than money, which more than likely goes to something undesirable.
                  sigpic
                  The Bronco fan pledge;
                  I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
                  I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
                  I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
                  I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
                  Bronco's Country.

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Comment

I did this a few weeks ago I didn't buy the guy any food, but I did buy his dog a bag of food.
                    I will buy homeless people food, won't give them money.
                    I really like Cheese.

Comment

Working...
                    X