The older I get, the more I like..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The older I get, the more I like..

I've realized over the years that my tastes are changing. Not only my actual tastebuds but my tastes in general (though this first post will focus only on tastebuds). I figured I'd start a thread to see how others have noticed changes as well.

So...the older I get, the more I like:

1. Dark, strong coffee
    2. Darker, bolder beers
    3. Wine (red mostly and especially with meals)
    4. Dark chocolate

*I see a trend here, haha!

Now share yours!
    My other love...
    sigpic
    305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Days off
    Quiet time ie alone time
    Wine with meals ( weird eh)

I see a trend here too....
    sigpic

Comment

I'll agree with the four you posted.

I also noticed my taste in woman has broadened as well. Maybe it's because I'm maturing and they are too? When I was 18 I'd never have entertained the thought of dating a 35 year old woman. Now that I'm staring 35 in the face I could never imagine dating an 18 year old.
      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I find my taste has got to complement a certain style of diet that I need to maintain, otherwise I will pay for it. As I get older I have reduced the usual culprits from my diet - sugar, salt, alcohol, red meat (oh, those last 2 really hurt!!). Yes, I have also gotten more into the "digestive" goods, you know, bran, veggies and fruit. The great news is that you can still eat a lot of very tasty food, some even not so healthy.....in the end your body tends to gauge what you are taking in much better than the mind.

So I notice more the change due to diet, rather than strictly about taste "preference".

As for specific taste, it does amaze me how a cup of coffee with barely a teaspoon of sugar tastes nice and sweet to me now. And definitely, there are other spices out there, other than salt. Having said that, I still love desserts and I still crave potato chips!!

Further to.....it's interesting how some foods I didn't like that much when I was young are now higher up the list, due to the way they are prepared. Take asparagus for example. I hated it when I was young. But these days, my wife has learned to bake it, with some cheese and spice and whatever, and now it is a very tasty commodity!
        Last edited by CanDB; 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post

I also noticed my taste in woman has broadened as well. Maybe it's because I'm maturing and they are too? When I was 18 I'd never have entertained the thought of dating a 35 year old woman. Now that I'm staring 35 in the face I could never imagine dating an 18 year old.
          The most painful part of getting older......
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
            The most painful part of getting older......
            Not painful at all.
            *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
            *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
            *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post

I agree, with you are saying that you can date a wider range...although you seem to be declining from the young edge of the band. That becomes more and more evident when a person considers dating someone the same age or even older than their own kids. It can put a good perspective on things.

But it's true.......when you are young you typically date those within a year or so of your age. That might last til you hit late teens or beyond. BUT, age is less and less relevant as you get older. One never knows how we will age, both physically and mentally. Some of us are a "mature" type, and some of us are a little less mature, and sometimes very different ages work very well together. And as you age, there is less peer pressure than one experiences in their youth. That doesn't mean folks don't talk or disapprove, but essentially there is a very good thing about growing up......it's your call "most" of the time.

Comment

Funny how reading some of your posts has made me think of others...

EddieMac - I definitely agree with the alone time. Now that I have a child that seems to be rare, but when it does happen (and I don't have anything on my 'to do' list) it's so nice! On the other hand I also love my daddy/daughter time.

ebsorbia - I was laughing in my head thinking you were gonna take that another direction..."when I was 18 I liked 18 year olds but now that I'm 35 I LOVE 18 year olds". Haha! I definitely agree though. Heck, just seeing the college girls around here makes me feel so old because they look so young. I can't even imagine how far apart they are mentally.

CanDB - couldn't agree more on the asparagus! I suspect it's also due to the way it's prepared though. I used to hate it as a kid b/c it was usually out of a can, but throw fresh asparagus on the grill with some olive oil and garlic salt and I love it! The same goes for spinach...used to be out of a can as a kid and I couldn't stand it. Now I saute it along with a litle olive oil and I'm a big fan! I've actually been changing up my (and my family's) diet lately...beginning a transition. I've eliminated the hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup from our diets. There are many more improvements that could stand to be made but it's a step in the right direction.
                My other love...
                sigpic
                305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Comment

Cake and Ice Cream
                  "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

As I grow older, I find myself much more intrigued with finances and personal investments towards the future.

I'm eager to learn how to make my money work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                      As I grow older, I find myself much more intrigued with finances and personal investments towards the future.

I'm eager to learn how to make my money work for me.
                      Hey Brent....here's tip #1:

Don't invest too much the day before a recession!!! Holy cow, that last one was a killer.....however, and here's the way to make money work, those who kept their investments in many of the good stocks, have rebounded big time. For example, if someone had bought good US Stock when the market hit bottom (and who really knows when that happens??) they probably would have doubled their investment or better, over the course of a few years. Oh yah, one other investment consideration:

No one really knows when stocks will hit bottom, or top!

Good luck and GOOD FORTUNE!!!!!

Comment

I'm a rookie with investing. Have been reading a ton lately, but I've only gone as far as CDs and high yield savings.

I do know to go big, you need to have some risks.

Comment

The older i get, the more pampered I expect to be. I will not attend any sporting events, concerts unless I have primo seats. Would have sat anywhere at Mile High 20 years ago, now, unless I am in the expensive seats, the TV is just fine.

Comment

I'd agree with Chronic toker's first post as to my taste change on 2 of the 4. I liked darker beers when I was younger, now it's only light domestic if I drink a beer. I've developed a taste for dark black coffee over the years… not something I liked when I was younger. Never enjoyed red wine til my mid thirties, now it's the only wine I buy. I've always been a chocoholic… no changes there.

One other for me, as I've grown older I like classic literature more. More and more, I find myself purchasing novels or shorts from early to mid 1900's such as F. Scott Fitzgerald, Dickens, ect. I love the stories/novels from that period I'm finding…. and they were never author's I read as a kid even though I was familiar with the names.
                            sigpic
                            Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                            Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                            Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                            Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

I've been trying to think of ways that I've changed and couldn't think of anything. I know I have. Maybe just not in the taste bud area?

I know I watch my words more. What I say is what I mean. Think before you speak kind of thing.

I used to be such an extreme loner. Now, I make sure I give and get lots of hugs.

How about a renewed love? Kefir. I used to drink it when I lived in CA. I've recently found it here, so I'm happy.
                              Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Working...
                              X