X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SecondsAway131
    replied
    The older I get, the more I like:

Beer. Every time I go out to a bar, or to the store, I strive to get something I haven't tried before. I want to try all the interesting flavors. I'm not sure how long we have until the craft beer bubble bursts, but I might as well try all I can before it does. Hopefully it never will.

Burgers. I am on a never-ending mission to find the perfect burger. I don't think I've found the perfect one yet, especially since I haven't searched far outside of the DC area. So far, my vote goes to the Peanut Butter Bacon Burger at Ted's Bulletin in D.C. I know what you're thinking... "Peanut Butter?" Don't knock it until you try it. The flavors are extremely interesting, but they really work together. Just take a look at this beauty:

Wine. Having a wife that loves wine, it leads me to drink wine much more than I would if she weren't around (hint: none). But I've really developed a taste for red wine. I've really come to appreciate Spanish and Argentinian wines more than others.

Scotch, Whiskey, Bourbon. The good stuff. Yes please. I think I'm starting to see a trend here. A very unhealthy trend. Oh boy.

Waking up early on weekends. Nothing feels better than being up at 7AM on a Saturday, heading out to run some errands, and to be home by 9:30 with a whole day ahead of you. I used to sleep in until noon or 1PM most weekends, but man what a waste that was. All I need now is a cup of coffee and I'm good to go.

My wife. Being a newlywed (Jan 25th of this year for whoever is wondering), I certainly haven't had enough of the beauty I get to come home to each day. But one thing I do notice is that I'd rather stay in and watch a few awful movies on Netflix with her than have a wild night out with the guys. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the occasional letting loose with my best buds. However, 95% of the time I could care less how I spend my time, as long as I get to spend it with her.

Leave a comment:

• ebsoria
    replied
    Originally posted by Broncoholic MS View Post
    Two words:

Taking naps
    I LOVE naps!!!!!!!! Sadly, my kids don't understand it. They will.. as their tastes change.

Leave a comment:

• Louich
    replied
    The older I get the more I like:

-taking my time to do stuff, everything was always how fast can I do it and start something else before, now not so much
    -enjoying being alone, I used to live to be with friends and hang out with the gang. As time passes I realise most of the guys I use to hang out with have not grown up and are still locked in places I was years ago (you know when you a young adult and know everything, your always right and it is my way or no way?). Now I just prefer to be with people I enjoy the company and that is it

Now the easy stuff:

-I use to love the easy drinkable beer (bud and the rest) now I prefer Newcastle and Guiness (and other type of beer in that alley).

-I use to love mixed drinks and anything that got me a buz in a party now I just like to lay back with a cigar and have a scotch

-I liked wines but as I get older I tend to gravitate toward more lighter wines (In protugal vs France). is it just a trend ? maybe... We'll see when I start my next reno projet: a wine cellar !

Leave a comment:

• Broncoholic MS
    replied
    Two words:

Taking naps

Leave a comment:

• 100%Broncoholic
    replied
    Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
    You have a lawn tractor?!?! Man! I need to upgrade my rascal!!!
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    hahah. Riding mowers rock!!! ( and the two beer holders are nice too )
    The older I get I realized I don't need to cut this way.

to this way... with a cup holder for a good beer.

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    hahah. Riding mowers rock!!! ( and the two beer holders are nice too )

Leave a comment:

• ebsoria
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    A week later I should clarify. Not painful that we don't look at 18 year oldS anymore as part of the dating pool, it that when I noted my tastes adjusted it was the sure sign I was growing up. Then I was sad.

Then I grabbed a beer, still in my underwear, and took my lawn tractor for a ride down the road to the mailboxes.....all better

Some great lists here. Can, totally agree that I care what other people think less and less. In my grumpy old age I think everyone else is stupid until they prove otherwise.
    You have a lawn tractor?!?! Man! I need to upgrade my rascal!!!

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
    Not painful at all.
    A week later I should clarify. Not painful that we don't look at 18 year oldS anymore as part of the dating pool, it that when I noted my tastes adjusted it was the sure sign I was growing up. Then I was sad.

Then I grabbed a beer, still in my underwear, and took my lawn tractor for a ride down the road to the mailboxes.....all better

Some great lists here. Can, totally agree that I care what other people think less and less. In my grumpy old age I think everyone else is stupid until they prove otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• HUMCALC
    replied
    Originally posted by Chronic_Toker View Post
    Wow, that's terrible. My wife's step father's family experienced a similar situation. His mom and brother never got along and he died of a heart attack a couple of years ago. She was devastated but unfortunately didn't learn from her mistakes because she now fights all the time with the other one.

I definitely could stand to do some changing in that regard. I don't ever take it to the level of wishing someone was dead (or at least saying it) but I do say hurtful things that I don't really mean. Unfortunately it's partially due to the way I was raised (I get it from my dad), but that's no excuse.

Maybe you just weren't eating the right flavors My wife's dad always bought her Publix cakes growing up and she couldn't stand them. Now that I'm the one buying her bday cakes it's either double chocoloate or ice cream cake and she loves them.
    Nope, the only treats that I liked were: cookie dough, brownies, and almond joys

Leave a comment:

• Chronic_Toker
    replied
    Originally posted by Peanut View Post
    We know this family. Mother and grown son argued a lot. She kept telling him, "I wish you were dead" and "I wish you were never born". Last year, his daughter found him dead on her 12th birthday. He drank himself to death.
    Wow, that's terrible. My wife's step father's family experienced a similar situation. His mom and brother never got along and he died of a heart attack a couple of years ago. She was devastated but unfortunately didn't learn from her mistakes because she now fights all the time with the other one.

I definitely could stand to do some changing in that regard. I don't ever take it to the level of wishing someone was dead (or at least saying it) but I do say hurtful things that I don't really mean. Unfortunately it's partially due to the way I was raised (I get it from my dad), but that's no excuse.

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
    When I was young, I hated cake and only tolerated ice cream
    Maybe you just weren't eating the right flavors My wife's dad always bought her Publix cakes growing up and she couldn't stand them. Now that I'm the one buying her bday cakes it's either double chocoloate or ice cream cake and she loves them.

Leave a comment:

• HUMCALC
    replied
    Definitely some great replies so far!

HUMCALC - I'd agree with yours but I don't think I could like cake and ice cream any more than when I was a kid I strongly prefer chocolate cake with chocolate icing though and chocolate moose tracks is my favorite ice cream.

Peerless - I wish I was more into investing. I kinda just sit back and let someone else do it for me via my 401k. I do keep an eye on it though and change investments from time to time.

Bronco51 - I've never been much into live sporting events as I feel like I miss too much (doesn't help that I'm usually several beers deep). I used to like going to bars but now I strongly prefer to watch them from my couch.

Sophia23 - I'm surprised you went from darker beers to light domestics...definitely the opposite of most people I know. Of course I could probably stand to drink beer with a few less calories

Peanut - I could stand to watch my words more. Unfortunately I tend to say things in the heat of the moment without thinking of the potential consequences. I've also changed in my social preferences (albeit in the other direction), in that I have become more of loaner and don't get with friends very often. By the time I'm done with my "chores" I just want to relax and hang out with my family.

Broncoholic - I tend to buy 6 packs of a good beer rather than a case of the cheap stuff too (i.e. Busch Light and Natural Light...two of my college favorites), and I am just about as analytical as you can get when it comes to purchases. I generally have an Excel spreadsheet set up with pros, cons, prices, reviews, etc. I haven't had buyer's remorse in quite some time though, haha! Congrats on your 12 year marriage! I'm about to celebrate my 6 year anniversary, with one child and we are currently planning for another.

Keep the replies coming!
    When I was young, I hated cake and only tolerated ice cream

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    Peanut - I could stand to watch my words more. Unfortunately I tend to say things in the heat of the moment without thinking of the potential consequences. I've also changed in my social preferences (albeit in the other direction), in that I have become more of loaner and don't get with friends very often. By the time I'm done with my "chores" I just want to relax and hang out with my family.
    We know this family. Mother and grown son argued a lot. She kept telling him, "I wish you were dead" and "I wish you were never born". Last year, his daughter found him dead on her 12th birthday. He drank himself to death.

That made a big impact on me. I'm sure she didn't mean it, but it was hard to feel sympathy for her at his funeral. I do feel for her though because she must carry a lot of guilt.

Being a loner. I've gone from extreme loner, to extreme socialite, to being in that comfortable place. I need my alone time (I think that's why I'm a night person), but I'm happy when I have the family around. Socializing has gone down for me, too.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    The more I like......

not wasting much time on being self conscious. It did bother me when I was young, and to some degree, I think it is a fairly normal feeling for most folks. But as I grow older, I worry less about the clothes I wear,and the image I present. I certainly enjoy being comfortable more versus fashionable, although I also see value in decent grooming and respect for oneself. In other words, it's cool to care about one's image, because it keeps you aware of your surroundings and gives you a little flair......but there should be little pain in living up to something you may not really care to be. I realize that the vast majority of the time, I am not that important that I need the pressure of imagining others watching my every move. It is liberating to understand that whole concept.

I am only touching the surface of this whole self conscious discussion. There are many factors behind it. In my case, maybe it's just the fact that aging toughens you in ways that help to some extent.

On the other hand, put on tv camera on me, and the feeling may return in a flash!
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-06-2014, 08:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chronic_Toker
    replied
    Definitely some great replies so far!

HUMCALC - I'd agree with yours but I don't think I could like cake and ice cream any more than when I was a kid I strongly prefer chocolate cake with chocolate icing though and chocolate moose tracks is my favorite ice cream.

Peerless - I wish I was more into investing. I kinda just sit back and let someone else do it for me via my 401k. I do keep an eye on it though and change investments from time to time.

Bronco51 - I've never been much into live sporting events as I feel like I miss too much (doesn't help that I'm usually several beers deep). I used to like going to bars but now I strongly prefer to watch them from my couch.

Sophia23 - I'm surprised you went from darker beers to light domestics...definitely the opposite of most people I know. Of course I could probably stand to drink beer with a few less calories

Broncoholic - I tend to buy 6 packs of a good beer rather than a case of the cheap stuff too (i.e. Busch Light and Natural Light...two of my college favorites), and I am just about as analytical as you can get when it comes to purchases. I generally have an Excel spreadsheet set up with pros, cons, prices, reviews, etc. I haven't had buyer's remorse in quite some time though, haha! Congrats on your 12 year marriage! I'm about to celebrate my 6 year anniversary, with one child and we are currently planning for another.

Keep the replies coming!

Leave a comment:

• 100%Broncoholic
    replied
    My taste and ways have definitely changed.

Sundays used to be about wings and beer with friends, now I prefer a few beers or bourbon while watching the Broncos.

I like to buy 6 packs of good beers vs a case of cheap beer.

I like some alone time to read in the evening instead of watching tv.

I like alone time, and my family often leaves for vacation and I still have work. The first day or two of playing video games and eating junk food is fun, but then I realize how much I miss them.

My taste in food is growing. Having to eat healthier as I age and also set a good example for my children.

My bourbons are now only certain brands so I enjoy the taste instead of a cheap bottle to get that buzz on.

My taste in friends have changed. I still like to "let my hair down" maybe once or twice a year, but the days of every weekend getting crazy are far gone.

My taste in purchases have changed. I was an impulse buyer, now I'm looking into things, thinking before I jump into them.

Good thread, it's funny how our taste change, but thankfully, my taste in the same woman has not changed in 12 years. 2 beautiful children later, some downs, and lots of ups, that's a change I hope never happens.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X