Ambidexterity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambidexterity

It can be an incredibly useful thing to have. Around 1 in 100 are born equally proficient with each hand, and others choose to try and develop their weaker side. Anyone on here ambidextrous? I'm curious mainly because recently I broke my right hand (the main reason I've rarely posted the past month or so), and in my line of work, which involves paperwork and the like, I felt pretty useless, so decided to start learning ways to develop my left hand. Now I wouldn't say I'm quite ambidextrous yet but I'm well on my way, I think years of playing drums may have helped me learn but nevertheless, in the 2 weeks since I returned to work post-injury and started practicing left handed I've noticed a great deal of improvement, in that what I write is, at the very least, legible. If not already, I'd recommend you to at least try using your weak hand every so often, even if it's something like brushing your teeth, you never know when it may come in handy (pardon the pun)! :thumb:
    Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

I'm left handed.

I tried improving my writing skills with my right hand.

I use to be able to write like a 4 year old with my right.

Now.

I write like a 5 year old.

Moving up in the world.

Comment

I am a mixed bag......I'm more right handed than left, but I write and play guitar left. In some situations, I am not 100% sure what I am, like if I was going to be a hockey goalie, because I would prefer to catch and hold the stick with my left hand......guess that's why I played forward. Same with tennis and even ping pong.....I play with my left hand, but my power arm is the right one.

Sorry for the "book".....I agree, ambidexterity is a cool thing. I remember when I was a youngin, when I was a huge Mickey Mantle fan, and being amazed how he could hit so good from either side of the plate. Back then, there weren't many switch hitters, and he not only had the skill to do it, but he did it soooo very well.

Funny, as I read this thread I think of other things I do, and wonder what I am - left or right or (wrong perhaps!)

(here's me, using both arms equally.....)

Comment

I'm right handed. I play cards left handed. Never realized it until I noticed others playing right handed. I do a few other things left handed. Writing? No. I'm like xX- on that one.
        Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I think it would be cool to be a true ambidextrious.

I do eating and writing with my left hand. And I do all sport activities with my right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
            I think it would be cool to be a true ambidextrious.

I do eating and writing with my left hand. And I do all sport activities with my right hand.
            I am kinda like this. I write with my left, but do almost everything else with my right.

But I eat with both. Can use a knife or fork or spoon with either hand. Although I cut a steak better with the knife in my right hand. I can DO IT with my left, but just not as well.

Unlike writing with my right hand. Not possible.

Can you guys snap your fingers on both hands? I can do both, but not so well on the left. Much louder on the right.

Throw right, bat right, (but actually performed better better batting left when I was a kid) and use most tools in my right hand, like a hammer. Can use a screwdriver in both, but prefer right.

Hold a rod in my right, and reel with the left. Cannot reel with my right hand. Well, not very good.

Comment

I'm a lefty; eat, write, throw left(although, because of playing water polo I'm not bad throwing with my right).

But I kick and swing righty.

When I was a few years younger(like, 10 years ago) I used being left handed as a pickup line one time. "Hi, I'm left handed, that means I'm dextrous". Not certain she knew what that meant... but it worked.
              *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
              *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
              *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I had a few girls notice me because I was writing left handed. Before I was married. :thumb:

My mother in law. She was left handed. She's right handed now. As a little girl in Utah they tied her left hand behind her back and made her write with her right hand until she got it.

Now, I was not there to see this myself, and to me, it seems impossible, but that's the story…..

Ever thought what it would be like to lose the arm or hand you write with, and be forced to switch?

Not sure I could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn View Post
                  I had a few girls notice me because I was writing left handed. Before I was married. :thumb:

My mother in law. She was left handed. She's right handed now. As a little girl in Utah they tied her left hand behind her back and made her write with her right hand until she got it.

Now, I was not there to see this myself, and to me, it seems impossible, but that's the story…..

Ever thought what it would be like to lose the arm or hand you write with, and be forced to switch?

Not sure I could do it.

My first thought is that's how Doctors write.......

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    My first thought is that's how Doctors write.......
                    It's GOLFING!

Golf ruins the handwriting.

Same thing with fishing!

Comment

I tell you what, being able to use both hands playing pool comes in extremely useful. I can't play a full game left handed but I have mastered certain shots that have improved my game.

Comment

Not sure I could do it.

I don't know about tying his left hand, but I know my step-father said that they tried to force him to use his right hand. Something about it would be easier in life for him. It didn't work.
                        Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                          I don't know about tying his left hand, but I know my step-father said that they tried to force him to use his right hand. Something about it would be easier in life for him. It didn't work.
                          Yup. Life is just easier if your "normal".

Whatever that is.

Glad they dropped that practice by the sixties. I've heard others tell me about the "good old days" as a leftie. Even worse than it was for me. School supplies like binders & notebooks are not made for left handed people. Not realistically, at Target.

I can't imagine being forced to use it like everyone else did. It was hard enough to write clearly with a spiral thing digging into my wrist. And teachers would not take it if you wrote on the other side of a page.

Again, that's not "normal".

It was odd what some people thought was HARD, like reading on the other side of a page (something we have no problem with in things like, say …… books), yet it was just be "easier" if I could just do it like everyone else. (don't think the roll eyes thingy works, but I'd use it here)

I had several teachers who encouraged me to write reports, etc, on the reverse side of sheets in a notebook, and were happy they could read it. But others demanded I not do that, and insisted I write on the "correct" side of the sheet, like everyone else, and I was expected not let things like spiral binders, or large notebook rings interfere with my penmanship. Some teachers were very frustrating for left handed students in my time.

Mr Houston (history - maybe 9th grade) would not even let me take paper out of a notebook to write, like most of them did. Insisted I leave the sheet IN the book and do my work like that.

Jeez, brings back memories I long forgotten.

Comment

Yup. Life is just easier if your "normal".
                            :
                            Yeah... like spiral notebooks??
                            *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                            *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                            *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                              Yeah... like spiral notebooks??

:thumb: Hate those things.

Growing up, we had a huge fireplace. I burned em all.

Comment

Working...
                              X