Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Loyalty Ever Made You Do The Wrong Thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Loyalty Ever Made You Do The Wrong Thing?

Loyalty is a wonderful thing. We seek it in all facets of our lives. We pride ourselves in having family and friends, who are truly on our side. We love loyal employees (if we are managing them). We want our athletes to be loyal to our team. We expect it from our partners.

But sometimes folks mess up loyalty by doing what is wrong, just to show support for someone they care about. And to an extreme (and lets not expand on this, because this is meant to be a lighter topic), sometimes people follow the wrong lead, possibly even in war. Their intentions are good, but they shield the truth from their path, because they want to believe in the one(s) they are following. (Again....lets not discuss war/other heavy topics....this is just an extreme example of the message here).

I will admit, I've been in error in this regard, because of loyalty that won out over the situation. I may have even done that here a few times. There's something so right with being loyal that we sometimes can't see details and the facts, all the while putting more energy into the battle than the discussion.

So many times I've been in business meetings and other group type settings, and some folks appear not even to be listening as they bluntly say "no" to a proposal or an idea that clearly has merit. They are on one side and one side only. Too bad. They are short changing themselves in so doing. They are also presenting themselves in the wrong light, and someday might wish they had been more open-minded. Possibly we should forgive their mistake because they may in fact be in a "cloud" of poor thinking, lost in the place they have slid to.

Again, loyalty is a great thing. It is a bond of steel, and what else could you want from another person? It is a special factor within a relationship. It is also a real driver of energy and enthusiasm, when one is in support of another.

I hope you are loyal to those who matter to you. I hope others are loyal to you. And I hope we all know the difference between support and "the right thing to do".

Geez.....a lot of my topics suck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      Geez.....a lot of my topics suck!!!
      Out fo the mouths of babes........

... no, just joking with you, Can.

Yes, loyalty has caused me to do some things that I didn't feel was right. And I got burned and hurt quite a few times by being loyal. But.. such is life. And hindsight is 20/20.

It won't stop me from being loyal to those I care for. That's just how I am. They say it's the "Cancer" in me.
      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
        Out fo the mouths of babes........

... no, just joking with you, Can.

Yes, loyalty has caused me to do some things that I didn't feel was right. And I got burned and hurt quite a few times by being loyal. But.. such is life. And hindsight is 20/20.

It won't stop me from being loyal to those I care for. That's just how I am. They say it's the "Cancer" in me.
        As the song goes eb....

"don't go changing"

Thx for the honesty....I've made my own loyalty mistakes in life, and I am sure most people have. Exposing oneself in such a way makes a strong statement about those we are loyal to, but unfortunately, sometimes we can lose proper focus when we give our allegiance to a person / group.

I see a parallel with anything we do with passion. Passion drives some really great behaviour, but on occasion, can misguide us a little. But overall, I believe loyalty is a very, very good thing!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          As the song goes eb....

"don't go changing"

Thx for the honesty....I've made my own loyalty mistakes in life, and I am sure most people have. Exposing oneself in such a way makes a strong statement about those we are loyal to, but unfortunately, sometimes we can lose proper focus when we give our allegiance to a person / group.

I see a parallel with anything we do with passion. Passion drives some really great behaviour, but on occasion, can misguide us a little. But overall, I believe loyalty is a very, very good thing!:thumb:
          Yes it is a very good thing. That's what I like in my friends, loyalty. Those who didn't have it or don't have it aren't around long or often.

Comment

My loyalty is a curse.
            Quite a few times has my loyalty do things that probably wasn't right or my loyalty would cause me to look the other way. But like Eb said, this is life.

I don't look at the as maybe I should be less loyal, but as a life lesson to be smarter in said situations. Maybe the loyal thing to do would be doing the right thing and explaining why it's the right thing. If you know what I mean.
            sigpic
            Adopted Broncos:
            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Loyalty has been an ally and an enemy to me.
              sigpic
              2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                Loyalty has been an ally and an enemy to me.
                Add some love to the loyalty and some people get married.........

Comment

Actually, yes. I've been looking at this thread and thinking no. Tonight I flashed on one moment that I'm shameful about. When I was in the 5th grade, I knew this kid who was cool. He would draw these awesome photos of tanks, helicopters, etc. for me. Then on the last day of school, he was picking on a girl that I knew. She and I had classes for as long as I could remember, but we weren't friends. He asked me to call her a name, and I felt that my loyalty to him should overshadow my loyalty to her, and to my everlasting shame I succumbed. To this day I feel guilty, and unfortunately I can't remember her name
                  "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                    Actually, yes. I've been looking at this thread and thinking no. Tonight I flashed on one moment that I'm shameful about. When I was in the 5th grade, I knew this kid who was cool. He would draw these awesome photos of tanks, helicopters, etc. for me. Then on the last day of school, he was picking on a girl that I knew. She and I had classes for as long as I could remember, but we weren't friends. He asked me to call her a name, and I felt that my loyalty to him should overshadow my loyalty to her, and to my everlasting shame I succumbed. To this day I feel guilty, and unfortunately I can't remember her name
                    I've done this also.

Completely regret it because it turns out the person was one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

Peer pressure and loyalty can be a bad thing sometimes.

Comment

I think it is human nature to side with loyalty. Unfortunately we often regret our choices once the clouds clear and we actually take that loyalty side out of the equation and think logically about the subject.

The older I get the less likely I am to side with loyalty without giving the subject some good thought first.
                      sigpic
                      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

I understand what you folks are saying. Being loyal was a thing I remember from my earliest days. It just seemed natural to me, to back those who mattered. But at some point one learns that loyalty is good, but absolute loyalty can throw off your moral compass. It's not that you are intentionally doing the wrong thing, but at the same time, we need to balance loyalty with intelligence and fairness. And the more loyal you become to the wrong people, the better the odds that you too are wrong.

Again, I am big on loyalty, but it can dull your senses when it comes to doing the right thing.

Then again, if you have a partner that deserves your loyalty.......be there for them. They need that from you, and if you do not fulfill that part of the relationship, you may someday lose them. Many have learned that the hard way.

Comment

General George S. Patton, Jr. said, "There is a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and much less prevalent." :2cents:
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                          X