Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What About Those Folks Who Always Have a Better Story.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What About Those Folks Who Always Have a Better Story.......

I'm sure you all know them, those individuals who seem to always have a bigger, better story than you......make that, anyone!! It almost becomes comical (more likely annoying) waiting those few seconds between your story and the one they no doubt will offer. The better one!

These folks, who may be decent people, need some sort of buffer. They really need a lesson in "listening / learning from others." To be sure, what they are doing is rude. And little do they know, or appreciate, but other folks aren't impressed. That's the funny part......the ones who need to be first to tell a story, or in the case of this thread, need to outdo others, are just hurting their own image, and often completely turning off others in the process. It's clear that happens, because most of us know of people like this!

I think we all want to offer our experiences to others, once someone has opened up a familiar topic. That's normal. And when we have a good, complementary experience to share, it adds to the dialogue. And if done without taking over the conversation, these stories often make for a fantastic time together, and may give others the impression (and rightfully so) that you are a warm, fun person to be around. BUT, those who always have a "that's nothing, ____________" response, or, "wait till you hear this" preface, are sadly misguided when it comes to healthy social interaction. I think they have an attention issue of some sort.

So......just my view, but I think it's pretty basic stuff that you need to be "attentive" to your peers. And if you really think they want to listen to your "bigger, better" stuff.....hmmmm, maybe it's worse than I thought. Sometimes we all need to step back and measure the value of our next statements. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and let others be "bigger and better".

So let me tell you a stroy that is even better than this first post. These people are better because of the experiences and they just accomplish more in their life, or know someone that has.... J/K I have met plenty of people like this *cough*CanDB*cough*

But yeah you see it a lot in the military since you may never see the person you are talking to again, and you may only be around them for a couple weeks. I knew one guy who's grandmother did probably more things in her life than any in the United states combine. I'm guessing she achieve it all by the age of 5 or something

But you need to find the bright side in these people by actually listening so that you can poke at the holes that are bound to pop up when they have someone do something that contradicts what they said in another story and just enjoy the show as they try to find a way out lol.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Comment

The infamous 1 uppers. I have one at work we all know does this constantly. I know it's petty but sometimes some co workers and I make up some pretty ridiculous (false) stories just to see how she will 1 up it. And she almost always does. I often ask her if she drinks Dos Equis because she is the most interesting person alive. Stay thirsty my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
        The infamous 1 uppers. I have one at work we all know does this constantly. I know it's petty but sometimes some co workers and I make up some pretty ridiculous (false) stories just to see how she will 1 up it. And she almost always does. I often ask her if she drinks Dos Equis because she is the most interesting person alive. Stay thirsty my friends.
        Reminds me of the song...

"Anything you can do, I can do better"

And also makes me think about The SNL skits with Kristen Wiig, as Penelope.......funny stuff!
        Last edited by CanDB; 04-23-2014, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          Reminds me of the song...

"Anything you can do, I can do better"

And also makes me think about The SNL skits with Kristen Wiig, as Penelope.......funny stuff!
          How about I 1 up you with SNL's Jon Lovitz as Tommy Flanagan......yeah that's the ticket.

Comment

My dad.

That's where I get it from.

Hard to argue with someone who was there when Moses parted the Red Sea….

Comment

Yeah we had a co worker like that. He was 300+ pounds but used to be a bounty hunter before he went back to school. He chased down tons of bad guys and witnessed prisoners make alcohol in jail out of fruit they stole from the cafeteria.

Oh and did I mentioned he was hit by a semi and survived but his back is eternally messed up from it so he needs constant time off from work.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                Yeah we had a co worker like that. He was 300+ pounds but used to be a bounty hunter before he went back to school. He chased down tons of bad guys and witnessed prisoners make alcohol in jail out of fruit they stole from the cafeteria.

Oh and did I mentioned he was hit by a semi and survived but his back is eternally messed up from it so he needs constant time off from work.
                Hope the semi is ok.

Seems like the one upper always steps his game up when there is a woman involved. I've seen some try hards over the years. Idk if they are even aware of how obvious it is. I've seen it work once or twice, and all that probably does is give them the green light to do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                  How about I 1 up you with SNL's Jon Lovitz as Tommy Flanagan......yeah that's the ticket.
                  I loved those ones!!!

Comment

You folks are coming up with some good stories.

BUT that's nothing.........wait till you hear this.........

Comment

You folks are coming up with some good stories.

BUT that's nothing.........wait till you hear this.........

:nono:

I got a better one!
                      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                        :nono:

I got a better one!
                        OK....you go first then.

Comment

OK....you go first then.

Okay, but when you're done, I got another!!

Comment

Pfft. I have the best story ever that blows both of yours out of the water. It is so great you probably won't even believe it.

But I am a king and I rule with a hammer that is more powerful than Thor's puny hammer, and it takes more stregth to weild than even the Hulk possesses. But that is just the begining the rest is even better than that but that is a story for a different time.

Adopted Broncos:
                            (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                            (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                            (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                            Adopted posters:
                            Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
                              Pfft. I have the best story ever that blows both of yours out of the water. It is so great you probably won't even believe it.

But I am a king and I rule with a hammer that is more powerful than Thor's puny hammer, and it takes more stregth to weild than even the Hulk possesses. But that is just the begining the rest is even better than that but that is a story for a different time.
                              It's already been shown that Hulk cannot pick up Thor's hammer, so that's really no too impressive.

Comment

Working...
                              X