Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Cool When Folks Communicate Kindly To Those Unknown

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So Cool When Folks Communicate Kindly To Those Unknown

    I believe in people. Sure, there are some who aren't kind or supportive or even worse, but all in all, I am still impressed by how many people have that "human" touch.

    I see it pretty much every day, where I live. We are apparently a friendly place, and that comes from many, many visitor accounts. Based on my travels, I agree that my home turf is an above average place for friendliness. But I can also say that I have witnessed a good share of kindness in many places I've been (especially when a tip is involved!!).

    But on an average day here, I can count on:
    - someone having a good chat with me in a store or restaurant or where I work out (at the University) or other places.....who I don't even know.
    - someone waving and/or smiling at me with gratitude for letting them in, while driving, or in any type of lineup. Conversely, someone letting me in, particularly on a busy day.
    - someone holding the door for me.

    These as I say, are typical of any day. But there's more, when going beyond the average day. The list is long, but may even include returning a lost item, perhaps even a wallet.

    Now.....lets keep this to a positive discussion please. I am sure you can expand on the darker side of life. But that's another thread......thanks!

    Further, it is so interesting to share a great conversation with folks you meet on trips, some who come from very far away, and totally different backgrounds. In the end, we often share one important thing in common....the appreciation that many of us are similar in various ways, no matter our roots.

    Hopefully you come from a kind and friendly place. I believe I am fortunate that way. But whether or not we can define the levels of friendliness that come with a place, is not the object of this thread. It's the fact that positive human interaction abounds......and when it does between strangers, it is such an invigorating experience.

    Yes......I believe in people.

  • #2
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I believe in people.

    Yes......I believe in people.
    There are times I doubt, but at the end of the day, I believe too.

    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*


    Comment


    • #3
      Wave:&gt

      You know me....I'm always waving at the truck drivers. Was the thing to do *back in the day, Trying to bring it back, I get a wave back once in awhile,a lot of time I don't think they expected it, or have time to respond.

      Then there is me...... ..... if someone waves at me ..say (in a regular 4 wheel vehicle) I spend so much time wondering *who is that?...time is up and they are out of sight.
      *******
      Lots of Pet conversations spring up when grocery shopping, either in the pet food aisle or check out, when they see pet food, treats toys.

      And of course there is always the weather....

      And of course so many people on cell phones and such these days.....
      Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 04-28-2014, 04:33 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
        There are times I doubt, but at the end of the day, I believe too.

        I have no doubt.........you do!!!

        :thumb:

        Originally posted by 2 Minute Warning View Post
        You know me....I'm always waving at the truck drivers. Was the thing to do *back in the day, Trying to bring it back, I get a wave back once in awhile,a lot of time I don't think they expected it, or have time to respond.

        Then there is me...... ..... if someone waves at me ..say (in a regular 4 wheel vehicle) I spend so much time wondering *who is that?...time is up and they are out of sight.
        *******
        Lots of Pet conversations spring up when grocery shopping, either in the pet food aisle or check out, when they see pet food, treats toys.

        And of course there is always the weather....

        And of course so many people on cell phones and such these days.....
        I forgot the famous "ice-breaker" (hmmmmm.....ironic description).....

        THE WEATHER

        I have had countless weather discussions with people I know and don't know. It's so nice to have an escape route when not comfortable with a situation. But nothing easier than......"nice out now, but I hear it's going to get cloudy later", which is the beginning of a potential never-ending commentary. And let's not forget the weather forecaster bashing that most of us take a shot at!!!:hammer:

        Comment


        • #5
          The "Appreciation" Thread

          As a preface.....no negativity here please. And thank you!:thumb:


          My Wife once told me that she likes to get up each day and express appreciation for the good things in her life. She is not one to talk too much, unlike her "partner", so she typically internalizes her thoughts on this subject. And she seems happy most of the time. Now, she was given a tough road, given who she married. But lets get past that for a moment....

          I've followed her lead, and it does work....for me as well. You see, far too often folks wake up a little grouchy or not necessarily in the right mindset, and some days it does not take much for a negative thought or some issue(s) to prevent one from being happy. I understand. Not always easy.

          Then again, I am aware of a number of folks who seem to manage life in such an appreciative way, even when they are experiencing pain and problems. Personally, there are times in my life when I was doing perfectly fine but not as happy as I could have been, whereas other times I was dealing with unknown pains, and various issues...but remained happy and positive.

          So yes, I think being "appreciative" for those who matter, and for what we have, is the smartest and maybe even most effective way to carry on this journey. It's very easy to assume these folks/these things will always be there, but conversely.....why not celebrate them every day, even if just to yourself, and even if just for a moment or two.

          Again, negativity not welcome in this thread. There are plenty of opportunities elsewhere. I'd rather you take the time to "appreciate"...….instead of.

          Oh and while I am on the topic....I appreciate this board!

          Comment


          • #6
            Hey CanDB!

            I have one to contribute. It was something someone said to me when I was really young that blew me away and has always stuck with me. I think about it often.

            When I was in Middle School, my friends and I were at a bowling alley. One of the friends with us was a couple years older and already in High School (we thought he was SO cool). We always tried to act our "coolest" around him. He was a good looking guy and girls were always fawning over him. This night was no different. Girls kept coming over and talking to him.

            Anyway, we're doing cosmic bowling at the local bowling alley and there is a group of girls in the lane next to us. One of the girls comes over to me and says, "I think you're really cute." She was the only girl out of the group that wouldn't be considered cute by my 12 year old boy "standards."

            They ran away giggling. I scoffed and turned to my older, cooler friend and said, "Can you believe THAT girl came over and talked to me. Ugh." (Yes, I was a little jerk). I was jealous and frustrated this was the only attention I was getting, while my friend was swimming in girls.

            My friend, who I had a ton of respect for, pulls me aside and absolutely lashed me. "What is wrong with you? Do you have any idea how much courage it takes to come up and tell someone that? A compliment is a compliment. Someone is going out of their way to tell you they appreciate you. It doesn't matter who it comes from, whether it's the prettiest girl in school or a girl you don't think is cute. It's a tremendous gift and you should always treat it as such."

            It was an incredibly sage piece of advice that came from a 15 year old boy that I still hold dear. It has shaped and significantly changed my life to not only openly accept love, compliments, etc., but also allowed me to understand how important it is to let people know you appreciate them.

            -Joshua
            Last edited by Joshua2585; 11-15-2018, 03:13 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              As my youngest daughter always says "Do not hate...appreciate!!!!"
              sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
              Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
              PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                Hey CanDB!

                I have one to contribute. It was something someone said to me when I was really young that blew me away and has always stuck with me. I think about it often.

                When I was in Middle School, my friends and I were at a bowling alley. One of the friends with us was a couple years older and already in High School (we thought he was SO cool). We always tried to act our "coolest" around him. He was a good looking guy and girls were always fawning over him. This night was no different. Girls kept coming over and talking to him.

                Anyway, we're doing cosmic bowling at the local bowling alley and there is a group of girls in the lane next to us. One of the girls comes over to me and says, "I think you're really cute." She was the only girl out of the group that wouldn't be considered cute by my 12 year old boy "standards."

                They ran away giggling. I scoffed and turned to my older, cooler friend and said, "Can you believe THAT girl came over and talked to me. Ugh." (Yes, I was a little jerk). I was jealous and frustrated this was the only attention I was getting, while my friend was swimming in girls.

                My friend, who I had a ton of respect for, pulls me aside and absolutely lashed me. "What is wrong with you? Do you have any idea how much courage it takes to come up and tell someone that? A compliment is a compliment. Someone is going out of their way to tell you they appreciate you. It doesn't matter who it comes from, whether it's the prettiest girl in school or a girl you don't think is cute. It's a tremendous gift and you should always treat it as such."

                It was an incredibly sage piece of advice that came from a 15 year old boy that I still hold dear. It has shaped and significantly changed my life to not only openly accept love, compliments, etc., but also allowed me to understand how important it is to let people know you appreciate them.

                -Joshua
                Hey Josh.....what a great story, and even better, what a great life lesson! The sad thing is, so many of us look/looked beyond the perfect partner who was right in front of us. And not to knock the good looking folks, because many, many of them are fantastic people, but I have learned a valuable lesson as well.....good looking folks do not look so good after you realize that they are not good people...and conversely, folks who are not perceived by some as being really good looking, will in time grow on you in so many ways, because they are genuinely good inside. In fact, it's the inner person that is anywhere from beautiful to unattractive.

                And last word...your "cool" friend, IS very, very "cool"!!!!

                Originally posted by Assassin27 View Post
                As my youngest daughter always says "Do not hate...appreciate!!!!"
                She's already got things in the right perspective my friend. Good for her!:thumb:

                Comment


                • #9
                  I won't bump (too much), but just trying to get some folks feeling the good stuff.....those who might want to try this approach. Think positive. There's a load of negativity out there, so stay away. Hang with positive people. And yes, look around. Appreciate the good things....most important, the people.:thumb:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Things I appreciate:
                    Being alive.
                    Caring family.
                    Fabulous friends.
                    Gorgeous granddaughters.
                    Community - online and face to face.
                    Faith and fun.
                    Sunshine through the window and ever changing skies.
                    Seeing my beautiful Poppy the Spaniel through the window and feeding her treats (I dare not go down the precarious step to the garage right now to give her any attention until I heal)
                    Good food, great coffee.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                      Things I appreciate:
                      Being alive.
                      Caring family.
                      Fabulous friends.
                      Gorgeous granddaughters.
                      Community - online and face to face.
                      Faith and fun.
                      Sunshine through the window and ever changing skies.
                      Seeing my beautiful Poppy the Spaniel through the window and feeding her treats (I dare not go down the precarious step to the garage right now to give her any attention until I heal)
                      Good food, great coffee.
                      Now we're cookin!:thumb:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        On days like this I appreciate those poor turkeys!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          On days like this I appreciate those poor turkeys!!!
                          I appreciate that I have the bountiful ability to prepare that turkey and enjoy it with my friends/family.

                          (ok...sounds corny, but it's true!)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                            I appreciate that I have the bountiful ability to prepare that turkey and enjoy it with my friends/family.

                            (ok...sounds corny, but it's true!)
                            I get it.....but others may not see it that way.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X