Always Ask Yourself, "What's The Motivation?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always Ask Yourself, "What's The Motivation?"

When I was young I was quite naive. I usually took things at face value. If I read an article, I'd assume it was accurate or correct. If I watched the news, I'd be impressed by what they showed us, and told us. When I took courses, and was asked to critique something, I'd have difficulty.

I guess maturing and being involved with business as a career can alter your take on life......not to mention having to deal with many unforeseen experiences, and just as many questionable individuals. At some point it clicked in, "what's their motivation?" Often it revolved around money or status. And also at some juncture it became harder to distinguish, whether many folks were doing things for the right reason. Fortunately my pendulum has swung back, and it is quite clear who the majority of good folks are. On the other hand, I am still skeptical when dealing with various matters. I can't help but try to understand the "why" of things. Maybe that's from being burnt one too many times. But I do know that it (the challenge process) has been an invaluable approach when making decisions. It also keeps us alert to some degree.

And not to force this on anyone, I do hope my kids and those I care about try to dig a little before signing on the dotted line. Same goes for when people are trying to push their views, or product on others. Try to peel the proverbial onion, to seek what is motivating them. If it's for the good of others (who are deserving), that's great! But if it's for themselves, as in money, or power or other selfish reasons.....try to regroup and prepare yourself. Just do your best to at least challenge what may appear to be ill-conceived.

There have been times in which I took on those who appeared to be trustworthy and honourable....but they weren't. In those situations I was later commended for my actions/leadership. However, it is not easy going up against "city hall" (so to speak) without support. It can be heavy work, and one has to have confidence and faith before they proceed. If proven wrong, the consequences can be steep, and one must appreciate that they can lose some face as a result.

Hopefully you see through things better than most. Hopefully you will not have to deal with too many culprits along the way. But possibly even more important, I hope you do not become too much of a cynic or skeptic in life. I have a friend who has become a little too skeptical. It doesn't come across so well, and I am getting used to a degree of "negativity" when we talk certain topics. That's just too cumbersome, given there is so much good in this world. It's still better to be positive, in the overall scheme of things.

So.....what's my motivation for this thread??? Just trying to help, and what the heck, I just felt like writing today.

Thanks for listening!

What's the motivation???

.....to read this thread.

(hmmm.......this coffee is delicious, but not so the thread)

Comment

I'm bored and reviving old threads lol.. sorry Can
      Adopted Poster
      AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
        I'm bored and reviving old threads lol.. sorry Can
        As you can see, this one was a real winner.....

Comment

So the post count dictates whether it's a successful thread or not? I disagree.

I consider it a monologue.
          Adopted Poster
          AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
            So the post count dictates whether it's a successful thread or not? I disagree.

I consider it a monologue.
            Thx Kasper! But check out mid section of the word, and that's what I think some thought after reading it.

Comment

I got motivated to roast some green chile yesterday.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                Yummmy, I miss that stuff.
                sigpic
                2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  You make me dream of New Mexico!
                  sigpic
                  Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                  Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                  Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                  Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

On CanDB's original post…. I think a lot goes into how skeptical people are. I am always wondering now what did you go and do that for…
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                    Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                        You make me dream of New Mexico!
                        How's the green chile in Arizona?
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                        X