1 or 2 Drinks A Day..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 or 2 Drinks A Day..........

I was watching a "60 Minutes" episode all about elderly folks (many over 100), and most of them were still doing really well......some amazingly well!! And just as I have heard/read a number of times, researchers behind this program say 1 - 2 alcoholic drinks per day is actually good for you. (Note: This is only recommended for adults, thanks!). And in this particular research, it wasn't narrowed down to wine, particularly red wine, which is usually the alcohol of choice in these studies. As it turns out, almost any alcohol will suffice.

I used to drink more than I do now, which is next to nothing. But every time I think I'm being smart, they tell me a glass or two is better than nothing. What the heck!!!!

So, I might just start up again, but purely for medicinal purposes.

Remember, doctor's orders.

Hey, if the Doctor says it, it must be true!!!

I remember my Grandfather used to have two fingers of whiskey every morning. Grandma would ask him- "Just two fingers, right??" And hed wink and say yes. The problem was.. his fingers were huge! So, to me two fingers is two fingers. To him, it was like a closed fist of mine!!!!
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

So does that mean 5-6 makes me extra healthy
      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
      I don't know and I don't care

Comment

I thought this was a poll?

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
          Hey, if the Doctor says it, it must be true!!!

I remember my Grandfather used to have two fingers of whiskey every morning. Grandma would ask him- "Just two fingers, right??" And hed wink and say yes. The problem was.. his fingers were huge! So, to me two fingers is two fingers. To him, it was like a closed fist of mine!!!!
          That's a good story! Then it comes down to whose fingers are we using to measure our drinks. I say Gandpa's!!!

Comment

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
            I thought this was a poll?
            Sorry......but if you want you can answer.

I was going for "1 or 2 drinks a day........ keeps the doctor away". Maybe you knew that already. Sometimes I can't tell around here.

Comment

I get drunk 3 nights a week on average.

but I also work for a brewery. I feel great!
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I guess I'm gonna have to start drinkin' more.

Normally have about 4 or 5 beers a week with a bloody mary or glass of wine thrown in there.
                :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                sigpic

Comment

Looks like I need to visit the drinks cabinet more than half a dozen times in the year then!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

Atta boy, Cory.

What's weird is I don't drink anywhere near as much as I used to. Nowadays I find that all I want is one or two every other night or so. Maybe my body is telling me something.

Comment

So i did a little google research on it and it seems to be a common thought in the scientific community that moderate or as you said Can 1-2 drinks a day show sign for improved cardio vascular health, and not only that but the health improvement seems to be more pronounced as you age. "any studies report a decline in risk of cardiovascular disease in the range of 25–30% [18]. Several plausible mechanisms for the apparently cardio-protective effect of a light to moderate intake of alcohol have been suggested [21]. The largest of the prospective studies have shown that the effect of alcohol and cardiovascular disease may be modified by age and gender. Hence, two large American studies have shown that the apparent cardio protective effect seems stronger amongst the elderly [11]."

Studies have shown that moderate intake can also decrease insulin resistance thereby decreasing a chance for diabetes. The link to decrease heart disease I guess is from the increase of HDL Cholesterol (good cholesterol) creation as well as lowering plasma fibrinogen (blood clotting). For the second piece of that you don't want your fibrinogen to be too low or too high and the thought is as you age moderate drinking helps monitor and control this.

Sorry to get all sciencey but I am an engineer it's what i do. At the end of the day the point is have a drink or two and it "could" help increase your life expectancy.
                      sigpic

Comment

I've seen you drunk. You get SUPER strength. No sealed window is safe from you. :thumb:
                        *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                        *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                        *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I see........you're a loyal employee.

Comment

Originally posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
                            So i did a little google research on it and it seems to be a common thought in the scientific community that moderate or as you said Can 1-2 drinks a day show sign for improved cardio vascular health, and not only that but the health improvement seems to be more pronounced as you age. "any studies report a decline in risk of cardiovascular disease in the range of 25–30% [18]. Several plausible mechanisms for the apparently cardio-protective effect of a light to moderate intake of alcohol have been suggested [21]. The largest of the prospective studies have shown that the effect of alcohol and cardiovascular disease may be modified by age and gender. Hence, two large American studies have shown that the apparent cardio protective effect seems stronger amongst the elderly [11]."

Studies have shown that moderate intake can also decrease insulin resistance thereby decreasing a chance for diabetes. The link to decrease heart disease I guess is from the increase of HDL Cholesterol (good cholesterol) creation as well as lowering plasma fibrinogen (blood clotting). For the second piece of that you don't want your fibrinogen to be too low or too high and the thought is as you age moderate drinking helps monitor and control this.

Sorry to get all sciencey but I am an engineer it's what i do. At the end of the day the point is have a drink or two and it "could" help increase your life expectancy.
                            You engineers sure like to stop a good party, with all the details!!!

So......better for the elderly?? I guess this works better for guys like me. Sorry to all you youngins!!

I can see it now, a nice bowl of bran cereal for breakfast along with my morning brandy (smell my coffee!!)......maybe a beer after a good supper. (Hmmmm.....maybe we can get this up to 3 drinks a day, one for each meal. I guess I could always have 2/3s a glass every meal).

Last edited by CanDB; 05-08-2014, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Morning brandy coffee?
                              You don't want to be starting your afternoon nap at 11 do you?

Comment

Working...
                              X