iPhone 4s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 4s

In case anyone was wondering, it's possible for the iPhone 4s to survive two Colorado winters outside half buried in the mud. Found one at work in a field the other day, and was able to charge it, turn it on, looked for the owner's phone number, called him, and he told me he lost the phone over a year and a half ago. It had literally been sitting in a field in the dirt and mud through two winters. Guy told me he didn't need or want it since he had moved out of state and I could have it if I wanted

Just thought I would share. Thought it was pretty cool.
    sigpic

That is pretty awesome. iPhones are pretty durable. Like the guy that dropped it sky diving and he glass was shattered but it still came on and he made a call.

Also pretty cool you got to keep it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
      That is pretty awesome. iPhones are pretty durable. Like the guy that dropped it sky diving and he glass was shattered but it still came on and he made a call.

Also pretty cool you got to keep it.
      Yeah, I loaded it up with music and have just been using it as an MP3 player since I don't need it as a phone lol

Never had an iPhone before. May consider it now lol
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
        In case anyone was wondering, it's possible for the iPhone 4s to survive two Colorado winters outside half buried in the mud. Found one at work in a field the other day, and was able to charge it, turn it on, looked for the owner's phone number, called him, and he told me he lost the phone over a year and a half ago. It had literally been sitting in a field in the dirt and mud through two winters. Guy told me he didn't need or want it since he had moved out of state and I could have it if I wanted

Just thought I would share. Thought it was pretty cool.
        Maybe Apple would even pay you to use that story......what a great advertisement.

Comment

haha.. Only Kish could be diggin in the dirt and come out smelling like roses.....er....apples?
          sigpic

Comment

Apple products are the best and they back them.

had an iPhone 4 after they first came out had to switch from Version to ATT to get it.

it died and I took it to att to see what was wrong. the first thing out of their mouth was waterr damage.

at best in a bathroom during a steamy shower.

wanted 300 to replace it.

on the way out of the mall I noticed that apple had a store in it.

stopped in and I asked them to look at it.

they did a couple of tests and said it would be tomorrow as they did not have any in stock,(think they were looking to get me to upgrade to a 5) .

told them I could wait, got home and settled in and then received a call on my wifes unit, they had a new phone for me come get it.

went in picked it up NO charge and I've really been a fan since.

when it was time to replace them they were almost 4 years old My wifes was dropping info so took them in for a check up and it cost me 39 per phone and no new contract we both have the 5S and still on the same old plan..

Except she now gets a discount with her company, We went from 700 minute and 2 gigs per phone to unlimited everything and the bill dropped by $80.

But apple products and service are teh best IMO.

we now have 2 ipads, iMac and a mac book pro.

all the old Dells desktops and HP notebooks are in storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
              Maybe Apple would even pay you to use that story......what a great advertisement.
              Yeah, thought of that already

Sent them the story. Probably wont go anywhere but if you see some dude on TV slinging iPhones with the same story it might just be me lol
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                haha.. Only Kish could be diggin in the dirt and come out smelling like roses.....er....apples?
                I walked up on it and I thought it was a wallet at first. It was in a case that was all cracked and beat up from the sun baking it. kicked it with my foot and it flipped over and I saw it was a phone.

I had to get out a toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol and scrub out the dirt in the charging port to even get the charger in it, and the same on all the speaker vent/mesh things so the sound would come out. I don't even know what possessed me to even try. I thought for sure it would have been toast.

The only thing I can think of is that it got lost and the battery died, and all the power was drained out of it before it saw any rain or water so the electronics never shorted out. But even then you would think the board would have corroded or something. Pretty crazy. Same day I also found a fifty cent piece and a fake rubber foot

I brought it all back to the truck and showed it to my instrument person and he thought I was a damned crazy person

Crazy like a fox! Free iPhone sucka!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                  Apple products are the best and they back them.
                  In my dealings with their products they have been sleek and felt nice, and their user interfaces were easy to understand and maneuver, I just could never get over the price tag, the and the hipster doofuses that I had associated them with lol That and the fanboy apple snobs. I had sort of become anti-apple as a counterpoise

Maybe it was a bit unfounded...

Meh, I still like PC stuff. But I've definitely softened my stance on Apple's stuff lol
                  sigpic

Comment

In my dealings with their products they have been sleek and felt nice, and their user interfaces were easy to understand and maneuver, I just could never get over the price tag, the and the hipster doofuses that I had associated them with lol That and the fanboy apple snobs. I had sort of become anti-apple as a counterpoise

Maybe it was a bit unfounded...

Meh, I still like PC stuff. But I've definitely softened my stance on Apple's stuff lol
                    Initially I hated the units. Looked like toys but the owners loved them.

I saw a demo on one when my daughter went to college. The only real options we had was the current Dell lap tops which I had my mind made up on as all of my office stuff were the Latest Dells.

But then the college admission guy showe us that he had 12 windows open and cheating on 8 of them at the same time while accounting and another couple of apps were running in the other windows.

I mean they were all open on one screen. That flat blew me away and I spent 800 more for the Mac book pro over the dells I loved.

Then later that year my son came home for Christmas and got me an IMac for home and I never looked back.

Forget the Anti virus programs and the speed is beyond what my best dell did. The router is also my backup device every hour it backups the Mac auto magically. Even if I'm working on something.

My wife carries her iPad everywhere never leaves home without it.

I was born on dos and thought I'd never go IOS but I'm hooked.

Yes the cost is more but it pays for itself in the long run.

If I have a problem with any of my units, make an appointment with the genius bar and they have never charged me a dime.

Pretty sure I'll have to replace batteries in the iPads some day, will cross that bridge with a new one or plain buy an new unit.

Comment

Initially I hated the units. Looked like toys but the owners loved them.

I saw a demo on one when my daughter went to college. The only real options we had was the current Dell lap tops which I had my mind made up on as all of my office stuff were the Latest Dells.

But then the college admission guy showe us that he had 12 windows open and cheating on 8 of them at the same time while accounting and another couple of apps were running in the other windows.

I mean they were all open on one screen. That flat blew me away and I spent 800 more for the Mac book pro over the dells I loved.

Then later that year my son came home for Christmas and got me an IMac for home and I never looked back.

Forget the Anti virus programs and the speed is beyond what my best dell did. The router is also my backup device every hour it backups the Mac auto magically. Even if I'm working on something.

My wife carries her iPad everywhere never leaves home without it.

I was born on dos and thought I'd never go IOS but I'm hooked.

Yes the cost is more but it pays for itself in the long run.

If I have a problem with any of my units, make an appointment with the genius bar and they have never charged me a dime.

Pretty sure I'll have to replace batteries in the iPads some day, will cross that bridge with a new one or plain buy an new unit.
                      I doubt I'll ever buy an Apple laptop. I can almost buy three laptops like the one that I have now for the price of one Macbook. I usually keep my laptops for around 3 years or so and upgrade anyway, and haven't had an issue with needing to replace one sooner due to hardware problems. Just cost prohibitive and unnecessary for me. I'm a lot more computer savvy than the average person, and I don't find myself needing help from my computer to keep me from hurting it, or to prevent anyone else from hurting it either. Apple's computers serve their purpose, and I understand their appeal, they just aren't for me.

But if I ever need a phone that I could bury under ground and stash for later, I may have found it lol
                      sigpic

Comment

I doubt I'll ever buy an Apple laptop. I can almost buy three laptops like the one that I have now for the price of one Macbook. I usually keep my laptops for around 3 years or so and upgrade anyway, and haven't had an issue with needing to replace one sooner due to hardware problems. Just cost prohibitive and unnecessary for me. I'm a lot more computer savvy than the average person, and I don't find myself needing help from my computer to keep me from hurting it, or to prevent anyone else from hurting it either. Apple's computers serve their purpose, and I understand their appeal, they just aren't for me.

But if I ever need a phone that I could bury under ground and stash for later, I may have found it lol
                        I understand the cost aspect.

I do know that during my daughters time in college she dropped the unit several times from an upper bunk, abused it horribly and when she had a problem she took it to the apple shop on campus and they fixed it each time for mostly no cost.

Four years after college now she still uses it for her work.

That is how advanced apple has been in the past. Plus she is now getting back to her minor in school art and for graphics there is none better than apple.

So I'll pay more up front of a unit knowing the long term cost is the same or less after everything is figured in.

I also am computer savvy and was the IT guy at my last job, I grew up on DOS and then windows. So learned how to figure out any issue I had. With the iMac it is so intuitive I've gotten lazy in retirement.
                        Plus how much are you paying for anti virus stuff and how worried are you about all the other issues today. Now in the 7th year of owning an iMac I've never had a virus. Something I had constantly with my high end dells in my network at work.

Anyway I'd buy apple stock if it,was not on the moon.

Comment

Plus how much are you paying for anti virus stuff
                          Nothing

and how worried are you about all the other issues today.
                          Minimally

Now in the 7th year of owning an iMac I've never had a virus. Something I had constantly with my high end dells in my network at work.
                          I promise I'm not trying to be an ass, but people who consistently get their machines infected are usually the ones at fault. Apple's OS is not as large of a target for most malware and viruses because they have a smaller comparable marketshare. There are nearly 10 PCs running windows for every Mac out there, and given that, most malicious and viral code that's written has Windows as their main target. That may not always be the case, and in the event that Macs gain a higher rise in popularity, I assure you, they will be and are just as susceptible to infection.

The best virus protection anyone has is themselves. It's like depending on a crash helmet when crossing the street vs just looking both ways.
                          Last edited by kishzilla; 05-18-2014, 12:30 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

What Kish says....thank You. I am an Apple fan but I also know the Apple cultists ( not calling you that Garfield) like to comment about the lack of virus's and totally disregard the market share and what hackers target.

Apple everything but laptop for me. ( Although I do hate Itunes )
                            sigpic

Comment

oh freaking GAG ME WITH A SPOON with your "apple is the best and all PC and ANDROID do is die and cause problems".

I only use android and PC and both that I have right now cost a third of what a comparable apple product costs and will blow them out of the water. I haven't had a virus in 10 years and haven't paid for antivirus EVER.

Also, I hate companies that create proprietary accessories and cables. It's dumb and it's ridiculous.

on topic

That's super cool that you got a free mp3 player kish! I agree with you on why it didnt short out. Probably totally dead.
                              Last edited by CoryWinget81; 05-18-2014, 08:27 PM.
                              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                              X