Laptop help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop help

When I try to use my laptop I can here it power up but the screen stays blank. Can someone help me fix this?
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Just saw this Southie.
    Can't believe that no one has tried to help yet.

I'm no IT guy by any means but I would suggest try starting it in Safe Mode.
    Start her up and immediately start repeatedly pressing the F8 key.

Hopefully, a screen will come up giving you options.
    You want an option that says start Safe Mode with the internet.
    You can scroll up and down the options by using your arrow keys.
    Choose one that says repair or trouble shoot and run it.

First I'm thinking graphics. Driver might not be starting.

If you do get into Safe Mode, check in your Device Manager, Display Adapters.
    Under Display Adapters should be your graphics driver.
    Click on it and it will give you some options to repair or update your graphics driver.

If you can't get your laptop screen to boot up in Safe Mode, now I'm thinking RAM.

Here are a few steps if you want to try to do troubleshoot it yourself:

There are more black monitor tips on that YouTube page.

Southie, remember when this message board was having problems running real slow because of the member list ?
    Computer experts were coming out of the woodwork with mega-solutions for this website back then.
    I'm sure some of them must still be around and they are much brighter than this old man lol

COULD SOME OF YOU SUPER-SAVVY TECHNO WHIZZES GIVE SOUTHIE SOME ADVICE PLEASE ?

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
    The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
    http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
    My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Bad time to have a problem, so few people online this weekend!

Comment

The screen broke. I turned it one to try one more time with my light on and I could barley make anything out. It was shades of black, dark gold and dark silver. I think the screen is busted. Any ideas on a cheap fix?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
          The screen broke. I turned it one to try one more time with my light on and I could barley make anything out. It was shades of black, dark gold and dark silver. I think the screen is busted. Any ideas on a cheap fix?
          You might be able to find a cheap used one on EBay. search under your computer model for a screen. I had some problems with my wifi card in my laptop and found a cheap one on EBay.

One thing you might try first is plugging an external monitor into it to make sure it is not possibly a power problem or video card/chip problem. If it runs fine with an external monitor it is probably your LCD screen.
          sigpic
          Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
          2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
          2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
            You might be able to find a cheap used one on EBay. search under your computer model for a screen. I had some problems with my wifi card in my laptop and found a cheap one on EBay.

One thing you might try first is plugging an external monitor into it to make sure it is not possibly a power problem or video card/chip problem. If it runs fine with an external monitor it is probably your LCD screen.

I will have to try the ebay route or is their a way link it to a different laptop?

sigpic

Comment

Good advice FiveFive ! :thumb:

Southie, in the Youtube vid above, it suggests trying an external monitor at about the 2:00 mark.
              If you can't read the instructions, hit the pause on the vid; that's what I did lol.

The instructions in the vid say to use a VGA cable.
              My old laptop had a female VGA port but my new one has HDMI.
              You may be able to use whatever you are using to write your post.

My flatscreen monitor for my old desktop PC has a male VGA cable that plugs into my tower.
              If you have a desktop PC, you might be able to use its monitor for an external monitor.
              Just unplug the monitor's VGA cable from your tower.
              Connect the cable to your laptop.
              Power on.
              Make sure the external monitor is turned on.
              Then (on mine) hit FN and F3 at the same time to add the external monitor.
              (Should be symbols on your F keys, probably F1 or F3)

You could also use a flatscreen TV. I connect my laptop to my TV screen with a HDMI cable.
              If your laptop is VGA and your flatscreen TV is HDMI, you can get an adapter cable at Staples.

At Staples, they do a "PC Tune-up" for $9.99, a fraction of the cost of a VGA/HDMI cable, $30-$60.
              They would probably troubleshoot your laptop and hook her up to another monitor right there at the repair desk.
              I have taken laptops in there before and those kids love to figure out whats wrong with them lol.
              All you pay is for the $9.99 tune up and they tell you everything that's wrong.
              Then you can fix it yourself.
              Last edited by AZ Snake Fan; 05-27-2014, 09:28 AM.

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
              The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
              http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
              My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Working...
              X