If You Don't Know What To Buy Me, Gift Coupons Will Do Just Fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Don't Know What To Buy Me, Gift Coupons Will Do Just Fine

The longer you live, the more likely you become a hard person to buy for, whether it be Christmas, Birthday, Mothers'/Fathers' day.....and so on.

Lately I've been pushing gift coupons, when in doubt. I have several types that suit me just fine, including Sears, Tim Horton's (the great canuck coffee and donut place) and even a nice Apple gift card. Sears isn't the best shopping destination for me, but I can always find socks, tshirts, shorts and underwear, and plenty more stuff....usually already at a discount. And when my old buds gather for our regular "meetings" we have a habit of going to Tim H's. (I can taste an apple fritter as I write this!!). As for another Apple, I am gradually building a decent ipod collection!

There was one day a while back that I think I used more than two coupons....believe me, even though I don't consider myself a cheapo, I did like the experience of purchasing repeatedly and never having to shell out from my wallet!:thumb:

Sometimes the kids will buy my wife and I a coupon for a quality restaurant, and it sure feels good to have a special meal on their dime.....make that $50 plus "dime".

And though not a coupon, with the accrued savings program at a local grocery store, tonight I paid next to nothing for a number of items. Sure feels sweet to get things for free, or just a bit more!

Now, this little love affair is limited to a certain number of cards, as there are some purchases I just won't make. There are coupons and such that I really don't want. But of course, it's the thought that counts.

So......next time you want to buy me something (as if), and just aren't sure what to get.....well now, there are some nice little cards out there that will make my day.

Amazon. A gift card to Amazon is basically giving you money to buy anything you want for yourself. Why limit it to just technology/clothing/house stuff. If I'm getting a gift card, I want it to Amazon
    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
      Amazon. A gift card to Amazon is basically giving you money to buy anything you want for yourself. Why limit it to just technology/clothing/house stuff. If I'm getting a gift card, I want it to Amazon
      Sorry RYO.....I am even old fashioned when it comes to coupon shopping!!!

Comment

Interesting subject.

Within 21-23 days, I have hubby's birthday, Father's Day and our anniversary. I've resisted giving gift cards, but it might be time.
        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
          Interesting subject.

Within 21-23 days, I have hubby's birthday, Father's Day and our anniversary. I've resisted giving gift cards, but it might be time.
          When I was young, I wouldn't have been too excited about coupons. But now, after many years of gift receiving, I really understand their value, given what I like. For example, the Tim Horton's coupon is so useful (and nice to have) because my group of old buds gather almost every month for our "world changing" discussions. And as for Sears, I tend to go there whenever I am looking for some cheaper clothes for summer, or the usual must haves (underwear, socks, yadda yadda). Sometimes they even have better things on sale that I like.

And clearly RYO digs Amazon.

So, from what I can gather, you've probably bought your husband plenty of gifts over the years, and maybe this is the time to try the cards.

(And if he's like me, it's so cool buying things and not spending a penny!!!)

Comment

Bleh... personally I hate gift cards. To me its like "hey, I know you are an adult and have money, so here is some more money because I cant think of anything to give you". Personally I would rather have a card with a nice note in it. Or take me to lunch at a place I have never been. I had about $600 in gift cards from years of holidays that I never remembered to use. Pain in the rear actually.

That being said, if you are going to get/give GCs give the Visa kind. They can be spent anywhere instead of forcing people to go to places they may or may not want to go.
            Kyle: Dude! I almost thought those Afghani kids talked you into not liking America.
            Stan: No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.
            Kyle: Yeah.
            Stan:<salutes the American flag> Go America.
            Kyle:<salutes> Go America...

Kyle: Go Broncos.
            Stan: Yeah, go Broncos.
            Cartman: Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by LordOfChaos View Post
              Bleh... personally I hate gift cards. To me its like "hey, I know you are an adult and have money, so here is some more money because I cant think of anything to give you". Personally I would rather have a card with a nice note in it. Or take me to lunch at a place I have never been. I had about $600 in gift cards from years of holidays that I never remembered to use. Pain in the rear actually.

That being said, if you are going to get/give GCs give the Visa kind. They can be spent anywhere instead of forcing people to go to places they may or may not want to go.
              You lost me at "Bleh".

Comment

I am happy to report that I have received a very nice restaurant coupon that my wife and I will take the liberty to "terminate" this coming weekend. I am not going to trouble you nice folks with all the coupons I receive, but I had to stay true to the topic, and in this case, it's a tasty one!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  I am happy to report that I have received a very nice restaurant coupon that my wife and I will take the liberty to "terminate" this coming weekend. I am not going to trouble you nice folks with all the coupons I receive, but I had to stay true to the topic, and in this case, it's a tasty one!
                  We received a couple of gift cards that we used today (our anniversary). It was really nice to have a great meal and not have to pay for it.

We shared a dessert. Chocolate cake, with chocolate filling, with chocolate frosting, with chocolate sauce. It was good, but we couldn't finish it.
                  Administrator

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

We received a couple of gift cards that we used today (our anniversary). It was really nice to have a great meal and not have to pay for it.

We shared a dessert. Chocolate cake, with chocolate filling, with chocolate frosting, with chocolate sauce. It was good, but we couldn't finish it.
                    Happy Anniversary J!!!:thumb:

Interesting......today is our anniversary as well, although we kind of rushed things by going out on the weekend, which is when I pulled out the ole Father's Day gift card. You might say I am generous to my wife in doing so, but truth is, I am still about 20 years behind in terms of keeping up my side of the ledger. But I'm trying!!!

BTW.....maybe you could send me a reminder each year, to make sure I remember the exact date. That would help me a great deal!!!
                    Last edited by CanDB; 06-18-2014, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      Happy Anniversary J!!!:thumb:

Interesting......today is our anniversary as well, although we kind of rushed things by going out on the weekend, which is when I pulled out the ole Father's Day gift card. You might say I am generous to my wife in doing so, but truth is, I am still about 20 years behind in terms of keeping up my side of the ledger. But I'm trying!!!

BTW.....maybe you could send me a reminder each year, to make sure I remember the exact date. That would help me a great deal!!!
                      Thank you!

Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs. Can!

I can be your personal assistant, although I don't come cheaply. Tell you what. When I remind hubby, I'll send you a reminder, too.

We were going to use gift cards that we each had gotten for our birthdays, but we received anniversary gift cards just as we were going out. These are pretty cool ones. It listed 4 different restaurants that accept them so we had a choice. We chose Maggianos. An Italian place. They have this deal. Buy a meal for now (in restaurant) and take a meal home. So we have dinner for tonight plus the leftovers. No cooking for me!
                      Administrator

Lupus Awareness

Comment

Thank you!

Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs. Can!

I can be your personal assistant, although I don't come cheaply. Tell you what. When I remind hubby, I'll send you a reminder, too.

We were going to use gift cards that we each had gotten for our birthdays, but we received anniversary gift cards just as we were going out. These are pretty cool ones. It listed 4 different restaurants that accept them so we had a choice. We chose Maggianos. An Italian place. They have this deal. Buy a meal for now (in restaurant) and take a meal home. So we have dinner for tonight plus the leftovers. No cooking for me!
                        This is too much coincidence for one day......same anniversary and the fact you like Italian ......well, the food that is. (maybe not all of us, of such descent).

Comment

I think some of my best presents were the $5 I got in birthday cards from Grandma with a note in her hand-writing I could barely read going on and on and eventually telling me to use the cash to buy a toy. I think they were the best presents because of all the presents I ever got; those are the ones I miss the most.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                            I think some of my best presents were the $5 I got in birthday cards from Grandma with a note in her hand-writing I could barely read going on and on and eventually telling me to use the cash to buy a toy. I think they were the best presents because of all the presents I ever got; those are the ones I miss the most.
                            Yah.....grandmas have a thing about taking care of their grandchildren.

Comment

Well was thinking of those Get out of jail free cards but you Canadians just use helicopters.
                              Did they ever find the last three that escaped/flew away,?

? Nothing in the news...

EDIT

Escapees in Canadian helicopter jailbreak captured

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/22/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1
                              Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 06-22-2014, 08:51 AM. Reason: breaking news.........

Comment

Working...
                              X