So It's Time To Employ A More Cholesterol Friendly Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So It's Time To Employ A More Cholesterol Friendly Diet

And when I read over the diet sheet, seems like many of the foods I like are on the wrong side of the dang page!!! Maybe they got it backwards when they printed the sheet.

Come on, what's wrong with cheese, potato chips, milkshakes, ice cream, doughnuts, pies, bacon, chocolate, smokies and pretty much fried anything??

*I think I know the answer*

But hey, lots of good stuff left......I'm just a whiner sometimes.

It is backwards... at least, my sheet is too.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Just be sure that you are cutting only the "bad cholesterol" (LDL Cholesterol) as there is some of it that is good for you too! (HDL Cholesterol) Good sources of HDL Cholesterol: Fish/Fish oils, nuts/seeds, olive oil...in general things high in unsaturated fats rather than those pesky ones with Saturated fats. Oh also as we have talked about in another thread...Alcohol in moderation has shown a propensity to increase your levels of HDL Cholesterol hence its link to reduction in heart disease...again in Moderation Can
      sigpic

Comment

What if you put those things on lettuce and called it a 'salad'? I mean c'mon, its a salad, right?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
          Just be sure that you are cutting only the "bad cholesterol" (LDL Cholesterol) as there is some of it that is good for you too! (HDL Cholesterol) Good sources of HDL Cholesterol: Fish/Fish oils, nuts/seeds, olive oil...in general things high in unsaturated fats rather than those pesky ones with Saturated fats. Oh also as we have talked about in another thread...Alcohol in moderation has shown a propensity to increase your levels of HDL Cholesterol hence its link to reduction in heart disease...again in Moderation Can
          Yes, apparently my good cholesterol is quite good! I kinda like fish these days. And yes, alcohol has its benefits. And you know what, I can handle some of that "moderation" stuff.

Comment

It's not helping, watching some of those food shows where they make huge, juicy layers of burger with cheese and bacon, and a bunch of fries, and other tasty/unhealthy things. Just saw one where they have this breakfast sandwich that includes sausage, egg, cheese etc., placed in an apple fritter, topped with a special frosting. Say whaaaaat!

But you know what....whenever I get sensible about food, I realize how good fruit taste. I tend not to eat enough of it, but never understand why, given how delicious it is!

Comment

You can still have a juicy triple bacon cheeseburger with fries once a week.

My total cholesterol 2 years ago was 236. I was trying all kinds of meds with not much luck and a lot of side effects. I got fed-up and started my own little experiment. Oatmeal (3 servings) for breakfast, some sort of granola bar for a mid morning snack, lunch was usually tuna with fat free cottage cheese (sounds nasty-taste good) and wheat thins. Afternoon snack was another healthy bar, dinner was almost always grilled chicken or fish with rice/mushrooms/black eyed peas ect... Water all day with the occasional diet cranberry or low sugar grapefruit juice. Fish oil pills in between meals to help raise my good cholesterol.

I didn't really give up beer, can't sacrifice everything Once a week I would eat whatever I wanted, just one meal though, usually pizza (the whole dam thing) or pasta and let me tell you first hand that I looked forward to that meal with excitement. So in about 9 months I lowered my total cholesterol to 170 WITHOUT MEDS! The diet alone did it for me, now I did exercise quite a bit, biking and weights.

The diet got boring as you can imagine but I stuck with it, and that's the key!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                And when I read over the diet sheet, seems like many of the foods I like are on the wrong side of the dang page!!! Maybe they got it backwards when they printed the sheet.

Come on, what's wrong with cheese, potato chips, milkshakes, ice cream, doughnuts, pies, bacon, chocolate, smokies and pretty much fried anything??

Why do they always have to take the fun out of everything? Those bums!
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by Raiderfan76 View Post
                  You can still have a juicy triple bacon cheeseburger with fries once a week.

My total cholesterol 2 years ago was 236. I was trying all kinds of meds with not much luck and a lot of side effects. I got fed-up and started my own little experiment. Oatmeal (3 servings) for breakfast, some sort of granola bar for a mid morning snack, lunch was usually tuna with fat free cottage cheese (sounds nasty-taste good) and wheat thins. Afternoon snack was another healthy bar, dinner was almost always grilled chicken or fish with rice/mushrooms/black eyed peas ect... Water all day with the occasional diet cranberry or low sugar grapefruit juice. Fish oil pills in between meals to help raise my good cholesterol.

I didn't really give up beer, can't sacrifice everything Once a week I would eat whatever I wanted, just one meal though, usually pizza (the whole dam thing) or pasta and let me tell you first hand that I looked forward to that meal with excitement. So in about 9 months I lowered my total cholesterol to 170 WITHOUT MEDS! The diet alone did it for me, now I did exercise quite a bit, biking and weights.

The diet got boring as you can imagine but I stuck with it, and that's the key!
                  Good job!

A triple cheeseburger with bacon and fries once per week eh? Maybe we can create a "leap week" calendar, which makes a week about 2 or 3 days max.....and preferably mostly weekends!!

Comment

Good job!

A triple cheeseburger with bacon and fries once per week eh? Maybe we can create a "leap week" calendar, which makes a week about 2 or 3 days max.....and preferably mostly weekends!!
                    I like your proposed leap week. I find it to be very conducive to the work schedule i would like to have
                    sigpic

Comment

Remember not all cholesterol is bad for you.

Since I don't eat gluten or dairy I have a high protein diet that I rely on and am in very good shape.

Most meat is high in cholesterol, but the proteins in the meat give you strength and energy (also help to build amino acids in your body etc.)

So don't buy the hype that all cholesterol is bad.
                      sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
                        Remember not all cholesterol is bad for you.

Since I don't eat gluten or dairy I have a high protein diet that I rely on and am in very good shape.

Most meat is high in cholesterol, but the proteins in the meat give you strength and energy (also help to build amino acids in your body etc.)

So don't buy the hype that all cholesterol is bad.
                        Agreed.......I am a meat lover, and will continue to eat a lot of it, but with some focus on "leaner". I dig protein!

Comment

I should not have come in here until I finished my mint chocolate chip ice cream. Now it suddenly doesn't taste quite as good.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                            I should not have come in here until I finished my mint chocolate chip ice cream. Now it suddenly doesn't taste quite as good.

10 char
                            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Mine is not, either Zocor or Lipitor levels the field.

Eat what you like in moderation and the C will be coming down.

I tried the nuts, twigs and fiber for a year and did not come down far enough to be healthy.

No meat, a egg a week bacon forget it.

So the doc said it is hereditary put me on the blockers and I eat what I want in moderation and my C is in the mid 180s.

No more SOY flavored bacon bits.

Comment

Working...
                              X