Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on ADHD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice on ADHD

    Hi everyone, I have a 6 year old son with severe ADHD I was looking for advice from anyone that has or knows someone with ADHD. Any strategy or tips you have found with managing and controlling it. Thanks any and all help is appreciated.
    sigpic

    2015 Adopted Bronco Von MIller
    UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!!

  • #2
    Originally posted by 58 broncomaniac View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a 6 year old son with severe ADHD I was looking for advice from anyone that has or knows someone with ADHD. Any strategy or tips you have found with managing and controlling it. Thanks any and all help is appreciated.
    I don't know if you have the Oprah's OWN channel but Lisa Ling just did a terrific documentary on it and it followed different families and ways they chose to handle it. Some used medication, and one family found this amazing school that taught the kids how to self regulate using meditation, yoga, imagery and relaxation techniques. It was an eye opener.

    What was even more surprising was that Lisa Ling herself actually went through testing and was diagnosed herself as having it. She felt she always had symptoms but never quite knew what her problem was, and sure enough.

    Lisa Ling is one of my favorite reporters because she always remains open and non-judgmental in her search for answers to her topics. It was a fantastic show.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 06-25-2014, 12:19 PM.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a buddy that has suffered from ADHD his whole life and he has told me that the best thing for him was learning something that took his concentration to not only learn but continue to do. He now plays 5 different instruments because of it. (Kind of hard to play the piano without putting your attention to it.) Music may not be the answer for your kiddo but something like that may be a start.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
        I have a buddy that has suffered from ADHD his whole life and he has told me that the best thing for him was learning something that took his concentration to not only learn but continue to do. He now plays 5 different instruments because of it. (Kind of hard to play the piano without putting your attention to it.) Music may not be the answer for your kiddo but something like that may be a start.
        This is great advice.

        One of the gifts of having ADHD is that you are able to hyper focus on one activity and if you can find something that is productive your son could thrive in it.

        So make sure you make time to connect to your son and find a hobby or something that will be enriching for him and possibly his future. Just make sure he gets hooked on something good though... You wouldn't want him getting completely immersed in video games or anything that really doesn't provide that much value.

        The best example would be someone like Michael Phelps. Dude has ADHD, hyper focused on swimming and now he's known as one of the greatest swimmers/Olympians of all time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 58 broncomaniac View Post
          Hi everyone, I have a 6 year old son with severe ADHD I was looking for advice from anyone that has or knows someone with ADHD. Any strategy or tips you have found with managing and controlling it. Thanks any and all help is appreciated.
          My son was having trouble in school and seemed to be having a hard time focusing. He always seemed slow to learn and struggled. Reading was difficult and certain other things were very difficult for him like catching a ball. We enrolled him in a summer reading program and because of that we came across his issue. He'd always worn glasses but one of the tutors noticed that he was having issues tracking what he was reading. He'd skip lines, read the same line over, miss words. He would start guessing at words rather than trying to read them. The tests revealed that his eyes, while looking normal, don't work together. It's a muscle issue. At some point in his development his eyes didn't coordinate the way the should. In some instances he was basically shutting down one eye and using just the other, like a mental block, not actually closing the eye. This meant he had no depth perception and a myriad of other issues. The fix is quite simple, it's just techniques to get his eyes to work together, exercise. He's almost through the therapy and school is becoming much easier and he's taking an interest in sports. The only reason I mention all of this is often times kids that have what my son has get diagnosed with ADHD. Their classroom or even behavioral issues are a result of the frustration. My son is naturally very mellow so he didn't act out like some ADHD kids do. If he had maybe the diagnosis would have been ADHD.

          Do web search for Vision Therapy if you want to learn more.
          Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

          Comment


          • #6
            Here are some other threads that might help you. I'm not merging them because people might have some new things to say.

            http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...highlight=ADHD

            Very old:
            http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...highlight=ADHD

            http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...highlight=ADHD

            There was one where a mom was asking about alternatives to medications. Diet change was mentioned as being very helpful. I can't find it, though. She might have deleted it.
            Administrator

            Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

            Lupus Awareness

            "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

            Comment


            • #7
              As an educator, I strongly suggest a strong working relationship with the school. Bare in the mind that if your child has a case manager that they will have other children on their load, but take time to communicate with them on things you see, what works at home, and what doesn't work. That will give them some tools for consistency at school, and then vice versa they may see things as well. It's going to be frustrating on all parties accounts, but know that the right case manager will definitely be in it to help you. You may not get an answer right away, but just know they haven't forgotten. Also, it may be tough here certain things, but be open, advocate for your child, but really develop a partnership with the school on what is best for your child.

              Have there been discussions on accommodations? I know this is open and you're asking for help, but please PM if you want to discuss anything via PM. I'm a school administrator now, but my classroom time and my focus now is still on helping students.

              Assistive technology wise- I strongly urge against an iPad and suggest a Chrome book. They have all the gadgets (for free) that will be similar to some accommodations your child may receive as well depending on the school system you are in.

              As others have said you may see atypical things, but working with the school will be huge. Best of luck and let us know if there's anything we can do.
              sigpic
              The Bronco fan pledge;
              I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
              I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
              I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
              I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
              Bronco's Country.


              Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                This is great advice.

                One of the gifts of having ADHD is that you are able to hyper focus on one activity and if you can find something that is productive your son could thrive in it.

                So make sure you make time to connect to your son and find a hobby or something that will be enriching for him and possibly his future. Just make sure he gets hooked on something good though... You wouldn't want him getting completely immersed in video games or anything that really doesn't provide that much value.

                The best example would be someone like Michael Phelps. Dude has ADHD, hyper focused on swimming and now he's known as one of the greatest swimmers/Olympians of all time.
                Yea that is one of the problems we have with him is he becomes hyper focused on my Ipad. The good thing is I downloaded a bunch of educational apps that way he is not only playing junk games.
                sigpic

                2015 Adopted Bronco Von MIller
                UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 100%Broncoholic View Post
                  As an educator, I strongly suggest a strong working relationship with the school. Bare in the mind that if your child has a case manager that they will have other children on their load, but take time to communicate with them on things you see, what works at home, and what doesn't work. That will give them some tools for consistency at school, and then vice versa they may see things as well. It's going to be frustrating on all parties accounts, but know that the right case manager will definitely be in it to help you. You may not get an answer right away, but just know they haven't forgotten. Also, it may be tough here certain things, but be open, advocate for your child, but really develop a partnership with the school on what is best for your child.

                  Have there been discussions on accommodations? I know this is open and you're asking for help, but please PM if you want to discuss anything via PM. I'm a school administrator now, but my classroom time and my focus now is still on helping students.

                  Assistive technology wise- I strongly urge against an iPad and suggest a Chrome book. They have all the gadgets (for free) that will be similar to some accommodations your child may receive as well depending on the school system you are in.

                  As others have said you may see atypical things, but working with the school will be huge. Best of luck and let us know if there's anything we can do.
                  We are actually working on trying to find a school that is better equipped to handle a kid with ADHD. His kindergarten year was real bad with the principle not understanding and saying he just needed to get discipline at home. The past year has been an experimentation of meds with Adderall working really well for a couple of months before losing all effectiveness.
                  sigpic

                  2015 Adopted Bronco Von MIller
                  UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm not qualified to just jump into this conversation so understand that what I'm saying is merely just my opinion - or my apprehension really

                    I think it's good that you're looking for help. It probably means you've done research of your own. All what I'd like to say is this; whatever prescription might be involved - research THAT before he really get's going on it. We all know there are some Dr's out there who think the solution to every problem begins with a pen and his script pad. If this is your solution so be it, but try to learn all the side effects and studies on the med before any damage is done. We're talking about changing the chemical balance in the brain. Needless to say, you want to be right the first time when it comes to something like this.

                    A second opinion isn't an option for a lot of people due to cost. If that's not an inhibiting factor, it might be worth your while to get a 2nd opinion ~just to be sure. ..if not the diagnosis - the type of meds.

                    Good Luck!

                    The advice for picking up a musical instrument sounds like a GREAT idea
                    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X