Folks Who Love Sports Are Lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folks Who Love Sports Are Lucky

I love sports, always have. I don't love every sport, but I my range is quite wide. Loving sports is a pretty special interest. I could write pages about why, but I'll try to keep things fairly brief, as follows:

1) Sports keep folks from getting bored

I feel sorry for people with few interests. But being a sports fan pretty much keeps a person busy, whether it be playing, watching, discussing, strategizing, managing, etc. There are so many sports going on pretty much year round, and time flies when you are "sports engaged".

2) Playing Sports Is Healthy

Pretty much self-explanatory, but folks who exercise are helping themselves, and playing sports can be a real boost to one's health. OK.....injuries can occur, but lets do the half full thing.

3) Sports Is A Good Socializing Medium

Just the fact you like sports can enhance the conversation you will have with another sports fan, and there are many of those. In fact, even if you do not share the same sports beliefs, there is pretty much an unlimited pool of discussion that can take place, once started. Heck, look at all the sports shows, and the endless chatter about what's happening, what might happen, and one's take on anything relative to.

4) Sports Are So Dang Exciting!

Few things in life match the heartbeat levels of sports, especially in tight games when something important is on the line! Sometimes it feels like my heart is outside my body, and loud enough for anyone to hear!

And how about activities that we look forward to, like drafts, or free agency, or trades, or rumours in general. They always get my blood flowing.

5) Sports And Stats Can Make For Good Analytical Skills

I can't get enough stats. And I love to assess them, and compare them, and to wonder about them. And because I lean to the mathematical side, I find the numbers so interesting and fun to delve into. Sports and stats are a matchmaker's dream!

6) Sports People Can Be Very Interesting

We have our favourites, who we really to get to know in some depth. But we also like to follow certain types of sports people, even if we aren't big fans. Some are stars in their own right, just based on how they can make stories happen. They are bigger than life at times. And truth is, I've met a few stars in my days, and even the ones I didn't follow seemed special when I got to see them up close, and perhaps even say a few words with.

7) Winning Is So Special, But....

Every sports day I win a bunch and I lose my share as well. Winning is so cool! But sometimes the losses rebound into special times, when a win changes everything. And lets face it, life isn't about winning all the time. Lessons can be learned. (But I still love winning!!!)

I got more, but I'll stop here.

Nice thread. There's so many good things sports can do. Professional and collegiate teams can provide an economic boost for surrounding economies, bring communities and people together (even different countries / nationalities) and distract you from all the bad / tough things in life. They can teach you lessons, make you cry tears of joy and sadness, feel pride, give mathematicians and statistics enthusiasts a fun job and improve your quality of life. I've had 6 orthopedic surgeries in the last 6 years due to sports, but I'd still choose them over the alternative and still have healthy habits due to them.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Comment

And sports bring instant friends or "foes." Living in Boston I love to walk around in my Broncos gear and I ALWAYS get stopped by people who want to engage me in a friendly dialogue about the two best QB's and debate each side, or who want to rag on me about my team. It makes my day out so that much more fun.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I like sports with cheerleaders. Think how much better baseball would be with cheerleaders!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
          I like sports with cheerleaders. Think how much better baseball would be with cheerleaders!
          I was thinking NHL, on the ice, but too many of them might get hurt wiping out....

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            I was thinking NHL, on the ice, but too many of them might get hurt wiping out....
            Man that would be like ice capades. My wife would like it and then it wouldn't really be like a sport with cheerleaders anymore. It would be like Lifetime Movie Network hockey. Unless it could be set up so that opposing team's cheerleaders could do some full contact cheerleading? That would be kinda cool.
            sigpic

Comment

The Tampa Bay Rays have "cheer leaders" (girls who cheer on the team but are not really designated as Cheerleaders). And look how good the Rays are this year.

Comment

Originally posted by thundercty View Post
                The Tampa Bay Rays have "cheer leaders" (girls who cheer on the team but are not really designated as Cheerleaders). And look how good the Rays are this year.

Did they actually have tryouts or just hand out shirts and shorts to the first 25 girls that arrived to the park on a school bus?
                sigpic

Comment

Did they actually have tryouts or just hand out shirts and shorts to the first 25 girls that arrived to the park on a school bus?
                  Yup, that's about right. (The school bus, not the tryouts.)

I've been to Tropicana Field and they are just sweet, silly girls.

Comment

OK.....lets hear from the sports nuts out there. How do you get your "fix" each day? Does it begin with a dose of a "Mike and Mike" type show? Do you stay tight online, to catch whatever is happening out there? And do you line up what you are going to watch when you get home (if you're out that is)......like tonight, maybe some NBA draft?

I listen to local radio shows when I can, and have my sights on the NBA tonight along with our local CFL team (first game). Tomorrow I'll be all over the NHL draft. Can't wait for that event!! And yes, a little Blue Jays here or there, and continued FIFA.....especially as the tournament moves forward. Some tennis (especially if our canucks do well). Hey, maybe some golf (what's up Tiger) and of course.....whatever is being talked about in the sports world.

What say you?
                    Last edited by CanDB; 06-26-2014, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Well I'll just continue then.....

- Soccer is going to be hot and heavy for a while, with the matches getting more and more meaningful.

- Hockey begins Free Agency tomorrow!

- The NBA is also approaching Free Agency

- Wimbledon is moving along, and for us canucks, with lovely Genie Bouchard moving into the Quarter Finals, and powerful Raonic still in the hunt. Much to cheer about

- The CFL is into week 2, and our Bombers are looking good in spite of early season predictions

- Then there's baseball, where the Blue Jays are clinging to first place. BUT, the fact they are in first place is a big positive!

- Plenty more

Thank you sports!
                      Last edited by CanDB; 06-30-2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I use to get my fix via my daughter who played on a Gold Fastpitch tournament team. Now, I keep one eye on the Braves and one on the Broncos along with watching fastpitch on TV.
                        sigpic

Comment

If sports fans are so lucky then how do I feel so unlucky? Seems like my teams are always losing the big game.

Honestly I'm a huge sports fan but me and my best friend always complain about them. They get us so hyped every year. But it seems like every year ends in heartache with a team we hate winning the big game/event.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                            If sports fans are so lucky then how do I feel so unlucky? Seems like my teams are always losing the big game.

Honestly I'm a huge sports fan but me and my best friend always complain about them. They get us so hyped every year. But it seems like every year ends in heartache with a team we hate winning the big game/event.
                            I believe that, over time, if you pull for a variety of teams / players, you will end up winning your fair share. Of course, if you just pull for winners you enhance your chances. But I don't choose that way. I follow a variety of teams / players, with an assortment of talent, and I know I'm going to have to be let down occasionally, especially in leagues with 30 or more teams! But that's also the beauty of sports.....the reward for being loyal and to some degree, patient. And if that's the way you manage things, when you win big, the high is so very high!

There is also a part of sports that is so continuously positive.....watching a team / player progress. And even though they do not end up on top one year, there's always the next, and with the knowledge that things are going in the right direction. I guess "hope" and "optimism" help the cause as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

I know exactly how you feel. The only sporting personality/team I follow faithfully, who is doing well this year, is Dale Jr. and many people don't even consider NASCAR a sport.

Going back to the beginning of the year, my losers are (in no particular order):

NFL - Denver Broncos, lost SB 48
                              NBA - Denver Nuggets - bad year
                              NHL - Colorado Avalanche - almost!
                              NHL - NY Rangers - sooo close.
                              NCAAM Basketball - Gators, Big Blue (Michigan Wolverines for those uninitiated) the Mich. St. Spartans, and CU Buffs.
                              Horse Racing - California Chrome lost the Belmont. I cried.
                              2014 FIFA World Cup - take a wild guess. USMNT
                              MLB - Colorado Rockies, Tampa Bay Rays

Comment

Working...
                              X