Folks Who Love Sports Are Lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thundercty View Post
    I know exactly how you feel. The only sporting personality/team I follow faithfully, who is doing well this year, is Dale Jr. and many people don't even consider NASCAR a sport.

Going back to the beginning of the year, my losers are (in no particular order):

NFL - Denver Broncos, lost SB 48
    NBA - Denver Nuggets - bad year
    NHL - Colorado Avalanche - almost!
    NHL - NY Rangers - sooo close.
    NCAAM Basketball - Gators, Big Blue (Michigan Wolverines for those uninitiated) the Mich. St. Spartans, and CU Buffs.
    Horse Racing - California Chrome lost the Belmont. I cried.
    2014 FIFA World Cup - take a wild guess. USMNT
    MLB - Colorado Rockies, Tampa Bay Rays
    I feel lucky for being a sports nut, not because of the wins, although I do love to win, but because of the endless entertainment it provides, as well as the never-ending discussion I can have with others who also enjoy sports. If I woke up tomorrow and was not into sports, I'd sure have a void on my hands!

Sure, I have felt some pains over the years, especially in big games that went the other way, but even in those cases it seemed like, within a few days, something positive would take hold, and I could move on quickly quite well. Unless you choose to follow only the best teams/players your odds of winning all the time are obviously not that good. Heck, in some sports it may only be 50% or even less, particularly if you are loyal to team/player who is struggling. In those cases, wins are extra special.

So many times I've had experiences where a team or player I follow had a serious setback and then rebounded....which is an amazing feeling. It makes up for the losses. It is even better when those things happen, and they will, as long as you don't keep jumping around who you follow.

Everyday I expect my teams/players to lose some. But every day I tend to win a lot too, and I choose to linger on those results, as well as anything positive that comes out of the losses. For example, our young canuck tennis star - Genie Bouchard, got soundly beaten in the Wimbledon final, but she has such a bright future, and is so confident and ready to do what it takes to succeed. Therefore the loss was not too hard to accept.

So, even though I understand the downside of sports, try to imagine a world without them, including playing/watching/managing/discussing...for me it would be a huge loss!
    Last edited by CanDB; 07-06-2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Can that is blasphemy.

A world without sports? Well that would be the hunger games.

And we all know we don't want any of that.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
        Can that is blasphemy.

A world without sports? Well that would be the hunger games.

And we all know we don't want any of that.
        Other than some Jennifer Lawrence........cha ching!

Comment

Can! Nice to talk to you again it's been a while. Great thread, and your completely right...without sports who knows what would've happened to me. I was in sports my whole life which kept me out of A LOT of trouble and I wouldn't give it up for the world. I'm not the only one like that my mom loves all different sports and when I went to visit my 90 year old grandfather a couple years back, my aunts, uncles, and mom were all trading stories about growing up and what not, and my grandfather and I were sitting to ourselves talking about basketball and baseball lol. It was great! Anyone with kids I recommend to them to get the kids in as many sports as they can because you can learn a lot about life, stay out of trouble, and it's fun.
          sigpic
          Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
          You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
          You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
          Have It All - Blu3
          Conceited - Blu3
          Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
          All On You - Blu3

Comment

Originally posted by Foez View Post
            Can! Nice to talk to you again it's been a while. Great thread, and your completely right...without sports who knows what would've happened to me. I was in sports my whole life which kept me out of A LOT of trouble and I wouldn't give it up for the world. I'm not the only one like that my mom loves all different sports and when I went to visit my 90 year old grandfather a couple years back, my aunts, uncles, and mom were all trading stories about growing up and what not, and my grandfather and I were sitting to ourselves talking about basketball and baseball lol. It was great! Anyone with kids I recommend to them to get the kids in as many sports as they can because you can learn a lot about life, stay out of trouble, and it's fun.
            Excellent post my friend!
            :thumb:

Comment

Working...
            X