I Think Most Of Us Are Patriotic, Loyal and Yes, "Homers"...And That's Cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Think Most Of Us Are Patriotic, Loyal and Yes, "Homers"...And That's Cool

Some of you know that I am Canadian. To be sure, I am "fiercely" Canadian. I also believe I am a very loyal person, and sure, I have been called a homer more than once. And you know what, I am sure that many of you are extremely patriotic, loyal to those who matter to you, and homers as well. And I get that. In fact, I would be surprised if otherwise.

I can't imagine folks being more patriotic than I. Then again, when you read this, you might believe in your heart that you are more patriotic. Why? Because these feelings run so deep. How's this then.....if you are extremely patriotic, picture me feeling the same way as you.....and I'll do the same.

I don't think we can measure patriotism, although far too many have lost their lives defending our countries. That's the ultimate sacrifice. But even still, I am not here to try to compare, or value, or judge. Being patriotic in democratic countries, no matter which one, should not be hard to comprehend. We are lucky to be citizens of such wonderful nations.

So please, this is not about "my country is better than yours", this is about understanding the importance of mutual feelings of respect, between us. After all, the majority of us are neighbours, allies, or keepers of peace.

Loyalty is a similar feeling from my perspective. In its basic form, it says something like, "I look out for those who have looked out for me." I dig that. Sometimes we are loyal to folks who are not the best of people, but if they've been good to us, it is totally understandable that we pay respect to them with loyalty. On the other hand, it also becomes our role to try to help better them. Loyalty brings responsibility, and in this case, for the good of everyone, we must not close our eyes to the wrongdoing of those we believe in. There's an element of tough love involved. There has to be.

Being a homer, at least in my books, is a very normal state of mind. I don't think more has to be said about it. But there's more than one common thread that weaves between homer-ism, patriotism and loyalty. And the thread that I want to bring light to simply this, that our commitment should always keep us open to what goes on beyond our borders and the people we are closest to. That we should learn from others, and respect those who are trying to make this world a better place. And that we should be patriotic and loyal and yes, homers.....but always aware of right vs wrong, even if that means speaking out when things need to be said.

MHS to you.

Just wish most Americans felt that way.

Comment

My country is better than yours :usa:

"'Murica"
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
        My country is better than yours :usa:

"'Murica"
        My Broncos are better than your........Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          My Broncos are better than your........Broncos.

I almost said the same thing.

Really at the end of the day I just want all these voices in my head to stop.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X