Moving Out To an Apartment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Out To an Apartment!

Hiya guys! I don't post often as I use to but I wanted to share since this forum and you guys are like my long distant family that I've never met or talked to in real life...

I'm going to be moving in the next couple of months with my buddy to an apartment where I will be still going to school full time but also be working part time. The apartment is pretty dang cheap ( $560 a month) with the only utilities we have to pay being electricity.

I figured with the price being so low the place would be a dump or in the ghettos, but that's sort of not the case because while it's still in the middle of the city it has a very welcoming setting to the entire apartment complex.

I'm wondering what other hidden expenses I should be worried about at this point? I'm trying to think that of course I will need money for doing laundry, dish soap, and other misc. stuff but I'm thinking there's some other things I should be looking out for?

Food I'm not too worried about because I plan on eating as frugally as possible (me getting meals from the restaurant I work at, along with other stuff) so I'm thinking like around $100 a month as long as I'm not spending my money on restaurants all the time. I realize that may sound really low but I think I can make it work.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

You might look into buying a washer and dryer off craigslist. It might take a while to pay for itself, but you will be glad you can do it at home rather than lugging it out to your car and taking it wherever. They should be easy to find.

A toaster oven and microwave can both be had inexpensively and will do the cooking for most of what you may want and not take up much room.

If you have upstairs neighbors, check out how much they weigh before you sign the lease. No joke, I once lived under some heffers and it sounded like a cattle stampede overhead.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
      You might look into buying a washer and dryer off craigslist. It might take a while to pay for itself, but you will be glad you can do it at home rather than lugging it out to your car and taking it wherever. They should be easy to find.

A toaster oven and microwave can both be had inexpensively and will do the cooking for most of what you may want and not take up much room.

If you have upstairs neighbors, check out how much they weigh before you sign the lease. No joke, I once lived under some heffers and it sounded like a cattle stampede overhead.
      I'm pretty sure every building has a community washer and dryer included with it. I think the biggest issue with this would just be keeping watch so no one steals my clothes.

The microwave is actually something we will definitely need to get. And the fat neighbors is something I never thought of. I'll actually be living in the second floor so noise could possibly be an issue from both top and bottom but I could sleep through a tornado so who knows.

Thanks for the ideas! Heating up the food should have definitely been an obvious one I didn't think of.

Comment

This is a list that probably only partially applies to you (and some of what you have already mentioned):
        - Electricity (may include heating, cooling, all appliances, lighting, etc.)
        - Gas (if that's what they have for heating)
        - Water
        - Insurance
        - Food (including all groceries and when eating out)
        - School
        - Parking
        - Transportation (if you have a car, include gas, insurance, maintenance)
        - Entertainment (including alcohol, concerts, movies, and anything that can take from your pocket.....this adds up)
        - Memberships
        - Cable
        - Phone(s)
        - Internet
        - Gifts - Christmas/Bdays/etc.
        - Clothing
        - Meds
        - Glasses
        - Hair Cuts
        - Trips
        - Coffee, snacks and other small stuff (they also add up)
        - Dental and healthcare
        - Charity
        - Investments
        - Maintenance in general
        - Larger purchases (ie. appliances)

(I left out rent/mortgage....I think you got that covered!)

Again, most of these may not apply. Even so, budget a little extra for entertainment and miscellaneous....there are a lot of things we spend on that we often forget about. For example, buying lottery tickets, or having a beer with a bud. They are small but can become big.

One simple approach is to check your monthly financials and see how you trend. If in tight, think back at money you've spent that isn't a priority.

Sorry for the long list. It's more applicable to someone older and more settled. You will be ready for all of that when the time comes.
        Last edited by CanDB; 08-19-2014, 04:49 AM.

Comment

I wish I could pay that little for my place.. (jealous)

Given my jobsI(bartending) I eat out almost every day. Single biggest expense except my mortgage... and maybe the girls I date.. but that's something else completely. Buy groceries. haha

Comment

My son just moved out into his own apartment.

HIs biggest challenge is keeping it clean.

Along with everything you've already gotten here, I suggest a vacuum cleaner, some cleaning supplies, like a Toilet brush, and some rags, or old towels work great.

Try to keep the place somewhat clean. Even a little bit goes a long way.

Get trash bags in bulk, and use them frequently. That day old pizza is only a dozen feet or so from your bed. Trash gotta go, and daily.

Pretty much a requirement if your planning on entertaining girls. Girls like it clean. :thumb:

Comment

Also a plunger... Buy one BEFORE you need one.

Sage life advice right there.

Comment

Cleaning supplies... Check check check.

The trash bags, vacuum cleaner, plunger and everything sound like sound advices.

Must keep place clean for the ladies...

Comment

I'm also trying to figure out how the food situation is going to go. I would personally like to keep the food purchases as every man for himself, with him buying food for what he eats and I'll buy my own also. But is that realistic? I have no problems sharing certain stuff with him but my bud eats a lot and I'd rather not have to pay half and half for everything if he's going to be eating most of it.

I had the same idea for toiletries like toothpaste, shampoo, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    This is a list that probably only partially applies to you (and some of what you have already mentioned):
                    - Electricity (may include heating, cooling, all appliances, lighting, etc.)
                    - Gas (if that's what they have for heating)
                    - Water
                    - Insurance
                    - Food (including all groceries and when eating out)
                    - School
                    - Parking
                    - Transportation (if you have a car, include gas, insurance, maintenance)
                    - Entertainment (including alcohol, concerts, movies, and anything that can take from your pocket.....this adds up)
                    - Memberships
                    - Cable
                    - Phone(s)
                    - Internet
                    - Gifts - Christmas/Bdays/etc.
                    - Clothing
                    - Meds
                    - Glasses
                    - Hair Cuts
                    - Trips
                    - Coffee, snacks and other small stuff (they also add up)
                    - Dental and healthcare
                    - Charity
                    - Investments
                    - Maintenance in general
                    - Larger purchases (ie. appliances)

(I left out rent/mortgage....I think you got that covered!)

Again, most of these may not apply. Even so, budget a little extra for entertainment and miscellaneous....there are a lot of things we spend on that we often forget about. For example, buying lottery tickets, or having a beer with a bud. They are small but can become big.

One simple approach is to check your monthly financials and see how you trend. If in tight, think back at money you've spent that isn't a priority.

Sorry for the long list. It's more applicable to someone older and more settled. You will be ready for all of that when the time comes.
                    I've been trying to keep to the rule of only using a third of my monthly income for surviving expenses but realistically for a college kid it's not going to always work out that way.

This list sort of shows a lot of the hidden costs I didn't think of like hair cuts, gifts, trips, etc.

Just more stuff to add to my spreadsheet that has a lot of expenses listed.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                      I've been trying to keep to the rule of only using a third of my monthly income for surviving expenses but realistically for a college kid it's not going to always work out that way.

This list sort of shows a lot of the hidden costs I didn't think of like hair cuts, gifts, trips, etc.

Just more stuff to add to my spreadsheet that has a lot of expenses listed.
                      I think the most important thing you can budget for is for you. Being strapped under any circumstances is not fun. With your new place you are still going to want to do things you enjoy, so make sure you save some to spend on you-- frivolously. Also, put a little away. I always pay myself first-- you should too.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm also trying to figure out how the food situation is going to go. I would personally like to keep the food purchases as every man for himself, with him buying food for what he eats and I'll buy my own also. But is that realistic? I have no problems sharing certain stuff with him but my bud eats a lot and I'd rather not have to pay half and half for everything if he's going to be eating most of it.

If he's the bigger eater, you might stay away from sharing costs. HOWEVER, it costs less when folks share food, so in some cases you might want to split those type of expenses. I'd think that one through a bit. But the bottom line is that buying in bulk is cheaper in the long run. Same goes for other things (like toothpaste, shampoo)......as long as one doesn't use much more, you are better off splitting costs.

Comment

pay for renters insurance....... its not much but when ... not if...you need it you will post a thank you thread.
                          sigpic

Comment

That's what I have done with my roommates. Buy your own, eat your own. Split the fridge and squeeze anything you can in there.

I would also set boundaries or rules. Don't be the one to always take the trash down, cleaning the kitchen, or scrubbing the bathroom.

If there is a dishwasher, put the dirty dishes into it....not into the sink next to it.

Comment

Don't be afraid to tell the guy if you have a problem with what he's doing. The longer you wait the more awkward it will get and the more you will begin to resent him. Just be honest and talk. Life costs a lot. Toilet paper may not seem like much but when you've already spent all your money for the month and you don't have any left it can be.

Money is something that causes strains in the best of relationships let alone a friend.

Try not to be too messy. But honestly just enjoy your freedom.
                              sigpic
                              2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Working...
                              X