No announcement yet.

Moving Out To an Apartment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez....if I ever get kicked out, I'll be looking to move in with you guys. Lots of common sense here.....perhaps created by some lessons learned.

Comment

So, I gotta tell you this story about my first apartment....

My friend and I moved in and set up. Within a couple hours a few friends came over and we began to play quarters. There was a knock at the door and it was our nextdoor neighbor. She was 23, we were 19. She was very pretty. She began to play quarters with us. Not long after she said she just took a new job as a dancer-- one that loses clothing to music and dollar bills. She asked if we would do her a favor. She needed to get over her shyness of being undressed around strangers. Of course, we were nice guys and agreed to help out. It did not take her long to get over her shyness; but the funniest part was that once she did, she never redressed. She walked around our apartment looking at our pictures and decorations and kinda just casually looking at our place. Then more friends came over and it worked out great for her-- more strangers to help her get over her shyness. My room mate had an old beat up duncan-fife dining room table. She sat on it, carved her outline as she sat and etched her name inside her outline. She went back home not long after that. The next morning we woke up, rather hung over wondering if it had really happened, but the carved outline on the table memorialized our apartment's outstanding debut.

Hopefully, you have a great or similar experience with your first place.
      Last edited by Rancid; 08-20-2014, 06:40 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
        I've been trying to keep to the rule of only using a third of my monthly income for surviving expenses but realistically for a college kid it's not going to always work out that way.

This list sort of shows a lot of the hidden costs I didn't think of like hair cuts, gifts, trips, etc.

Just more stuff to add to my spreadsheet that has a lot of expenses listed.
        You will learn how to live within your means. It's a good life experience. Think big picture - the future, and you will realize that you are a better person for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
          So, I gotta tell you this story about my first apartment....

My friend and I moved in and set up. Within a couple hours a few friends came over and we began to play quarters. There was a knock at the door and it was our nextdoor neighbor. She was 23, we were 19. She was very pretty. She began to play quarters with us. Not long after she said she just took a new job as a dancer-- one that loses clothing to music and dollar bills. She asked if we would do her a favor. She needed to get over her shyness of being undressed around strangers. Of course, we were nice guys and agreed to help out. It did not take her long to get over her shyness; but the funniest part was that once she did, she never redressed. She walked around our apartment looking at our pictures and decorations and kinda just casually looking at our place. Then more friends came over and it worked out great for her-- more strangers to help her get over her shyness. My room mate had an old beat up duncan-fife dining room table. She sat on it, carved her outline as she sat and etched her name inside her outline. She went back home not long after that. The next morning we woke up, rather hung over wondering if it had really happened, but the carved outline on the table memorialized our apartment's outstanding debut.

Hopefully, you have a great or similar experience with your first place.
          What a memory........or at least what you can remember!

I have fond memories of moving out to my first pad. It was a good place. And I always remember how cool it was to buy furniture and some cool things....like a new stereo. I did meet some nice young ladies there, but I do not remember what you experienced. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            This is a list that probably only partially applies to you (and some of what you have already mentioned):
            - Electricity (may include heating, cooling, all appliances, lighting, etc.)
            - Gas (if that's what they have for heating)
            - Water
            - Insurance
            - Food (including all groceries and when eating out)
            - School
            - Parking
            - Transportation (if you have a car, include gas, insurance, maintenance)
            - Entertainment (including alcohol, concerts, movies, and anything that can take from your pocket.....this adds up)
            - Memberships
            - Cable
            - Phone(s)
            - Internet
            - Gifts - Christmas/Bdays/etc.
            - Clothing
            - Meds
            - Glasses
            - Hair Cuts
            - Trips
            - Coffee, snacks and other small stuff (they also add up)
            - Dental and healthcare
            - Charity
            - Investments
            - Maintenance in general
            - Larger purchases (ie. appliances)

(I left out rent/mortgage....I think you got that covered!)

Again, most of these may not apply. Even so, budget a little extra for entertainment and miscellaneous....there are a lot of things we spend on that we often forget about. For example, buying lottery tickets, or having a beer with a bud. They are small but can become big.

One simple approach is to check your monthly financials and see how you trend. If in tight, think back at money you've spent that isn't a priority.

Sorry for the long list. It's more applicable to someone older and more settled. You will be ready for all of that when the time comes.
            Thanks, CanDB, I am printing out this list and giving it to my daughter. She all of a sudden wants to leave the safe, warm nest and fly like a little birdie....all because she is in WUV WIF some DUDE.

But seriously, it's time for her to move on....she won't move in with him because he's in the Springs and it's an hour drive from work, so she's testing the "roommate" shark-infested waters to see if she can survive. I am happy yet apprehensive....I haven't been alone since I was 18...

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
              You might look into buying a washer and dryer off craigslist. It might take a while to pay for itself, but you will be glad you can do it at home rather than lugging it out to your car and taking it wherever. They should be easy to find.

A toaster oven and microwave can both be had inexpensively and will do the cooking for most of what you may want and not take up much room.

If you have upstairs neighbors, check out how much they weigh before you sign the lease. No joke, I once lived under some heffers and it sounded like a cattle stampede overhead
              Sound advice! My first apartment in Englewood had three stories and I was on the second floor right underneath a 300 lb tenant with a hyperactive dog that would chase a golf ball up and down the tile floor every morning at 5 am. Drove me INSANE.

Comment

Originally posted by thundercty View Post
                Thanks, CanDB, I am printing out this list and giving it to my daughter. She all of a sudden wants to leave the safe, warm nest and fly like a little birdie....all because she is in WUV WIF some DUDE.

But seriously, it's time for her to move on....she won't move in with him because he's in the Springs and it's an hour drive from work, so she's testing the "roommate" shark-infested waters to see if she can survive. I am happy yet apprehensive....I haven't been alone since I was 18...
                Glad I could be of some assistance. I hope all goes well for your daughter........and you!!! I don't know if things have changed but when I was growing up, the young ladies seemed more adept at moving out than the guys. I don't mean to generalize but I was still living at home after dating many girls who had already left the nest. Hmmmmm.....maybe it was just me.

Comment

I left out a few items from the list, which apply to those who move into their own residence. Obviously property taxes. Perhaps some sort of security (ie. alarms). Maybe even some landscaping expense (plants, soil, etc.)

I take the newspaper, which is not the way of the world these days, but regardless, it is wise to have another category that catches small things you may have missed......whether you call it miscellaneous or whatever. This category should never get too large though. If it does, you should fine tune it so that you split it into better defined items, while retaining a smaller miscellaneous category.

One last ownership consideration.....if you move to a condo, be very aware of the maintenance fees. They can be very large!

Sorry for digressing.
                  Last edited by CanDB; 08-21-2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X