Strong California quake causes injuries, damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong California quake causes injuries, damage

A 6.0-magnitude quake struck early Sunday about 6 miles from the city of Napa.

That's not far from where we went on vacation.

I hope all our Nor Cal people are okay (eb and Jake?).

Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

I used to live in American Canyon/Vallejo which is only 8 miles south of Napa Valley. Some scary stuff
    sigpic

Comment

Best Wishes to all out there. I saw one child in critical condition after chimney fell on her/him
      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Prayers to all those affected.
        Thanks for the Sig "rjent"sigpic

Comment

I guess you could feel it here last night, but I slept through it.
          sigpic
          2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
            A 6.0-magnitude quake struck early Sunday about 6 miles from the city of Napa.

That's not far from where we went on vacation.

I hope all our Nor Cal people are okay (eb and Jake?).

Okay here. That's where I grew up, so I still have a lot of friends there who took a lot of damamge. They're all okay, just working on putting it all back together.

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
            I guess you could feel it here last night, but I slept through it.
            Yeah... "slept" through it... me too! Eddie and I went a little hard in the paint and at some point(after we cleaned out the ice chest) we fell asleep.
            *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
            *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
            *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

In case anyone is curious how we roll out here......

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                In case anyone is curious how we roll out here......

I had that posted on facebook and got yelled at so I took it off lol
                sigpic
                2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                  I had that posted on facebook and got yelled at so I took it off lol
                  Are you yelling at me?

Comment

In the early 2000s (can't remember the exact year), in spring, I was on business in San Francisco, and a 5.0 or 5.1 hit the area. My colleague was in another room, and felt it, whereas I did not. It was on the news just as he called me to see what was happening. It did some damage, but I don't recall it being too bad overall. The thing I remember however is that I did worry a bit about the possibility of some impactful aftershocks.

Years later, while on vacation in Huatulco, Mexico, my wife and I felt an earthquake. This is an area familiar with "bumps". It was minor, but apparently there have been some of much larger impact. A guy I know was there when there were tsunami warnings.

My wife and I were quite interested in trying to get in a trip to San Franciso just a few weeks back. We had a week in mind (that fit just right), and because we thought about it with not a lot of time to spare, we planned on arriving there on Saturday. But in the end we did not have a good feeling for tour availability (after trying to book), so we decided to defer our trip for another time, when we have more planning time.

Had we gone, I guess we would have felt this earthquake, while sleeping. An earthquake of this magnitude is pretty intense. I am no expert but when you get around 6 or more, it seems pretty significant.

Clearly there is some serious damage this time. I believe no one lost their life over it, but still, a lot of injuries. That's too bad. I hope they're all ok.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      In the early 2000s (can't remember the exact year), in spring, I was on business in San Francisco, and a 5.0 or 5.1 hit the area. My colleague was in another room, and felt it, whereas I did not. It was on the news just as he called me to see what was happening. It did some damage, but I don't recall it being too bad overall. The thing I remember however is that I did worry a bit about the possibility of some impactful aftershocks.

Years later, while on vacation in Huatulco, Mexico, my wife and I felt an earthquake. This is an area familiar with "bumps". It was minor, but apparently there have been some of much larger impact. A guy I know was there when there were tsunami warnings.

My wife and I were quite interested in trying to get in a trip to San Franciso just a few weeks back. We had a week in mind (that fit just right), and because we thought about it with not a lot of time to spare, we planned on arriving there on Saturday. But in the end we did not have a good feeling for tour availability (after trying to book), so we decided to defer our trip for another time, when we have more planning time.

Had we gone, I guess we would have felt this earthquake, while sleeping. An earthquake of this magnitude is pretty intense. I am no expert but when you get around 6 or more, it seems pretty significant.

Clearly there is some serious damage this time. I believe no one lost their life over it, but still, a lot of injuries. That's too bad. I hope they're all ok.
                      If you were going to stay in San Fran you might not have felt it.

Comment

I agree, probably wouldn't have felt it in San Fran

Comment

Originally posted by TheMoth View Post
                          I agree, probably wouldn't have felt it in San Fran
                          A guy who writes for the newspaper here said his son is in San Fran and left a message that it was a little shaky and weird overnight. I took that too mean he felt it.

Comment

And the aftershocks are rolling in now.

Comment

Working...
                            X