Clear All

• ebsoria
    replied
    And the aftershocks are rolling in now.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
    If you were going to stay in San Fran you might not have felt it.
    Originally posted by TheMoth View Post
    I agree, probably wouldn't have felt it in San Fran
    A guy who writes for the newspaper here said his son is in San Fran and left a message that it was a little shaky and weird overnight. I took that too mean he felt it.

Leave a comment:

• TheMoth
    replied
    I agree, probably wouldn't have felt it in San Fran

Leave a comment:

• ebsoria
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    In the early 2000s (can't remember the exact year), in spring, I was on business in San Francisco, and a 5.0 or 5.1 hit the area. My colleague was in another room, and felt it, whereas I did not. It was on the news just as he called me to see what was happening. It did some damage, but I don't recall it being too bad overall. The thing I remember however is that I did worry a bit about the possibility of some impactful aftershocks.

Years later, while on vacation in Huatulco, Mexico, my wife and I felt an earthquake. This is an area familiar with "bumps". It was minor, but apparently there have been some of much larger impact. A guy I know was there when there were tsunami warnings.

My wife and I were quite interested in trying to get in a trip to San Franciso just a few weeks back. We had a week in mind (that fit just right), and because we thought about it with not a lot of time to spare, we planned on arriving there on Saturday. But in the end we did not have a good feeling for tour availability (after trying to book), so we decided to defer our trip for another time, when we have more planning time.

Had we gone, I guess we would have felt this earthquake, while sleeping. An earthquake of this magnitude is pretty intense. I am no expert but when you get around 6 or more, it seems pretty significant.

Clearly there is some serious damage this time. I believe no one lost their life over it, but still, a lot of injuries. That's too bad. I hope they're all ok.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    In the early 2000s (can't remember the exact year), in spring, I was on business in San Francisco, and a 5.0 or 5.1 hit the area. My colleague was in another room, and felt it, whereas I did not. It was on the news just as he called me to see what was happening. It did some damage, but I don't recall it being too bad overall. The thing I remember however is that I did worry a bit about the possibility of some impactful aftershocks.

Years later, while on vacation in Huatulco, Mexico, my wife and I felt an earthquake. This is an area familiar with "bumps". It was minor, but apparently there have been some of much larger impact. A guy I know was there when there were tsunami warnings.

My wife and I were quite interested in trying to get in a trip to San Franciso just a few weeks back. We had a week in mind (that fit just right), and because we thought about it with not a lot of time to spare, we planned on arriving there on Saturday. But in the end we did not have a good feeling for tour availability (after trying to book), so we decided to defer our trip for another time, when we have more planning time.

Had we gone, I guess we would have felt this earthquake, while sleeping. An earthquake of this magnitude is pretty intense. I am no expert but when you get around 6 or more, it seems pretty significant.

Clearly there is some serious damage this time. I believe no one lost their life over it, but still, a lot of injuries. That's too bad. I hope they're all ok.

Leave a comment:

• ebsoria
    replied
    Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
    I had that posted on facebook and got yelled at so I took it off lol
    Are you yelling at me?

Leave a comment:

• JakeNbake
    replied
    In case anyone is curious how we roll out here......

I had that posted on facebook and got yelled at so I took it off lol

Leave a comment:

• ebsoria
    replied
    In case anyone is curious how we roll out here......

Leave a comment:

• ebsoria
    replied
    Originally posted by Peanut View Post
    A 6.0-magnitude quake struck early Sunday about 6 miles from the city of Napa.

That's not far from where we went on vacation.

I hope all our Nor Cal people are okay (eb and Jake?).

Strong California quake causes injuries, damage
    Okay here. That's where I grew up, so I still have a lot of friends there who took a lot of damamge. They're all okay, just working on putting it all back together.

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
    I guess you could feel it here last night, but I slept through it.
    Yeah... "slept" through it... me too! Eddie and I went a little hard in the paint and at some point(after we cleaned out the ice chest) we fell asleep.

Leave a comment:

• JakeNbake
    replied
    I guess you could feel it here last night, but I slept through it.

Leave a comment:

• 16milehigh87
    replied
    Prayers to all those affected.

Leave a comment:

• dizzolve
    replied
    Best Wishes to all out there. I saw one child in critical condition after chimney fell on her/him

Leave a comment:

• 58_VONDOOM_92
    replied
    I used to live in American Canyon/Vallejo which is only 8 miles south of Napa Valley. Some scary stuff

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    started a topic Strong California quake causes injuries, damage

A 6.0-magnitude quake struck early Sunday about 6 miles from the city of Napa.

That's not far from where we went on vacation.

I hope all our Nor Cal people are okay (eb and Jake?).

Working...
X