Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Come Visit Winnipeg and The Canadian Museum For Human Rights

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Come Visit Winnipeg and The Canadian Museum For Human Rights

    The Canadian Museum For Human Rights just celebrated its opening ceremonies here in Winnipeg, Manitoba (regular hours beginning the 27th). The museum is located at The Forks, the historic meeting place at the junction of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers. The purpose of the museum is to "explore the subject of human rights with a special but not exclusive reference to Canada, in order to enhance the public's understanding of human rights, to promote respect for others and to encourage reflection and dialogue."

    In the end it cost approx. $350M, and is quite an amazing structure. I can't wait to visit it.

    Winnipeg is worth a visit, although I will admit that winter here isn't for everyone. Kinda cold. But come summer and you can see the museum (while visiting The Forks marketplace), the polar bears swimming overhead at our zoo, catch a CFL game or maybe head out to some great beaches and lake country. Come fall, winter or spring, and see our NHL team, in one of the "loudest" buildings in the league. But yes, see the museum. I can't describe it yet, because we are not going for a couple of weeks, but it will be inspirational, thought provoking, and aimed at making us all more aware of the future and what we can do to truly appreciate the term, "human rights."

    Thanks for listening.....and yes, there is much more to Winnipeg than my brief description.

  • #2
    I love the concept of a museum for Human Rights and just googled it. Spectacular building.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jaws View Post
      I love the concept of a museum for Human Rights and just googled it. Spectacular building.
      Thanks for taking the time my friend. This took 14 years to get built, because funding was a difficult task, and of course, costs keep rising. But this is a powerful initiative, stemming from a dream of one of our best business folks ever - Izzy Asper. Izzy died a long time ago, but his family, led by his daughter made this happen. Izzy was the kind of entrepreneur that every city wants. When I bumped into him downtown, while still in my career, I walked for a brief moment (beside him) and basically told him to never leave this city, and that we needed him.

      Too bad he couldn't have realized his dream, but I also believe he knew it would get done.

      Comment


      • #4
        I will come to visit winnipeg...

        and get the mini doughnuts at the forks.

        those should be a human right.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Remedy View Post
          I will come to visit winnipeg...

          and get the mini doughnuts at the forks.

          those should be a human right.
          I was expecting a response from the guy wearing the green jersey.......








          (btw...another selling point, mini doughnuts at The Forks...thx bud!!!)

          Comment


          • #6
            How soon are you planning on going to visit it Can?

            Comment


            • #7


              I love it. The lighting at night is spectacular!

              Looked over some of Antoine Predock's projects (an unknown to me, I will admit) and I couldn't help but notice the resemblance between some of famous Daniel Libeskind's work. Trust me, that's not a bad thing.

              Do you happen to know how many floors The Canadian Museum For Human Rights will have? If you have a floorplan, I'd love to see it. I spend a lot of time over at skyscrapercity and I haven't stumbled across this gem yet.


              Amazing work really, I hope it receives praise and becomes a landmark alongside Esplanade Riel.
              Adopted Poster
              AZ Snake Fan

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                How soon are you planning on going to visit it Can?
                We figured we'd wait for a few weeks, when the initial rush declines a bit, and when everything is 100% finished. I hear they are still tinkering with the details. I'll report back when we do.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post


                  I love it. The lighting at night is spectacular!

                  Looked over some of Antoine Predock's projects (an unknown to me, I will admit) and I couldn't help but notice the resemblance between some of famous Daniel Libeskind's work. Trust me, that's not a bad thing.

                  Do you happen to know how many floors The Canadian Museum For Human Rights will have? If you have a floorplan, I'd love to see it. I spend a lot of time over at skyscrapercity and I haven't stumbled across this gem yet.


                  Amazing work really, I hope it receives praise and becomes a landmark alongside Esplanade Riel.
                  Off to work.....will get back to you on the number of floors/floorplan. The building is huge and transcends upwards.

                  Your knowledge is amazing!!! The Esplanade Riel!!! You might know more about this city than some of us residents!:thumb:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    Your knowledge is amazing!!! The Esplanade Riel!!! You might know more about this city than some of us residents!:thumb:
                    Haha, hardly Dave but I do know my landmarks and that sort.

                    Anyways, lemme know if you find something (you don't have to). I wonder if there's a skybar? that would be awesome
                    Adopted Poster
                    AZ Snake Fan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      No skybar but it will have a bistro.

                      https://humanrights.ca/visit/bistro

                      Says here it has 12 floors

                      http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=83861

                      Floor Count 12

                      pics...with layout.

                      http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=127

                      Lots of open space and ramps, looks interesting.
                      Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 09-24-2014, 08:39 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Looked over the pictures and yeah, there's no room for a skybar unfortunately. At 330 ft, I think it would have been great!

                        You cannot go wrong with steel and glass. The open space around the steel tower in the foyer is a stroke of genius. I would have gone with a different exterior cladding though. But props for using local materials. I reckon it'll look great in wet conditions.

                        Love the grass-covered hills. It's a trend we're seeing all over the world, looks great imo.

                        Very bold design for a museum, exactly what any city needs. We have enough bland, boring public projects as it is. A+ from me.

                        Thanks for the links, 2MW.
                        Adopted Poster
                        AZ Snake Fan

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          As a Canadian I am very proud of the city of Winnipeg and the Canadian Museum of Human Rights. Well done Winnipeg!!

                          And BTW if you intend on visiting Winnipeg try and make it a weekend that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are playing th Saskatchewan Roughriders.....it is some of the most fun football you can ever watch.
                          Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Larryh View Post
                            As a Canadian I am very proud of the city of Winnipeg and the Canadian Museum of Human Rights. Well done Winnipeg!!

                            And BTW if you intend on visiting Winnipeg try and make it a weekend that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are playing th Saskatchewan Roughriders.....it is some of the most fun football you can ever watch.
                            Riders win obviously

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                              Riders win obviously
                              Truly a person of great intelligence and acumen
                              Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X