Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Many Folks Speak Language Variations....As In, Foul Mouth Vs Clean

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Many Folks Speak Language Variations....As In, Foul Mouth Vs Clean

    Not everyone swears, or talks with a foul mouth. But many do. And interestingly, it's amazing how they all can switch back and forth to "clean mouth", given the circumstance. Hey, I do admit that I swear a wee bit. I blame it on too many days in the locker room with a bunch of high octane dudes. Got to blame someone!

    Before I go on, speaking of clean.....we need to keep this a clean thread. I'm sure we can do so and still have a few laughs.

    Anyway, depending on the role we play, most of us know when to speak properly vs improperly. I'm sure most of us understand the need to be smart with our talk, in professional settings, with people we respect, most institutions, when in the company of the Queen (oh yah, happens to me all the time), and so on. Then again, some people always talk that way. That's just who they are. Good on them!

    But I slip when I'm in the company of certain folks......yes, same old story.....with the boys. For me I think it's us trying to act like we're still young or something, or definitely trying to be macho, or cool. Others will argue that none of these situations warrant that type of talk.

    I've seen this language show up in the boardrooms of this world as well, which are supposed to be professional places. Once certain leader types start with the "sharps" and such, it can become contagious. And this is with both genders in the room. I've always felt that this type of dialogue should be kept to a minimum in the workplace. Otherwise it can fester and grow. That's not professional.

    As I say, I drop a few "nasties" here and there. I was a late bloomer to it. Must have been my Catholic upbringing. I even remember my first real serious girlfriend telling me to let some of those words out (when in the heat of a sports battle).....but I wouldn't. And she was a really nice, respectable person! Anyway, time went on, and the influences got to me, and so on.

    Some folks should listen to themselves......they talk in a foul manner regularly. They seem to have difficulty putting a sentence together without incorporating the "usuals". Even recently where I work part time I've mentioned it to one of the young ladies that works there, because she swears as much as anyone I've ever met. I am trying to help her change, without being too abrupt about it. I know she can do better. Same goes for a lot of people.

    In the end, it is kind of amazing how people can switch the language on and off, depending on where. Some blow their cover though, by accidentally slipping one out. Too much practice and repetition I guess.

    Further, even though I do partake myself, though not too frequently, I would suggest to those of you out there that it's certainly not abnormal to swear, but keep in mind that you may turn off someone/some folks along the way, and they may be the very ones you want to be closest to. Maybe think that over given your true priorities.

  • #2
    Ill be the first to admit, I can easily flip the switch from Off to On and vice versa. Even when it is flipped on, I dont swear much.

    What I find interesting is that in America, specific swear words are like forbidden fruit to say. Where as that same swear word in a country like England, is used in everyday speak on the same level as the word "the"
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche


    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
      Ill be the first to admit, I can easily flip the switch from Off to On and vice versa. Even when it is flipped on, I dont swear much.

      What I find interesting is that in America, specific swear words are like forbidden fruit to say. Where as that same swear word in a country like England, is used in everyday speak on the same level as the word "the"
      Love those Brits!!!!!

      :thumb:

      They would probably say......"that's the proper way to swear"........
      Last edited by CanDB; 10-01-2014, 06:49 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I learned to cuss from Chief Boatswain's Mates in the US Coast Guard. Unfortunately, my daughters learned my vocabulary. However, in thirty-eight years in the classroom (15 middle school, 23 high school), I don't think I used any of that vocabulary; maybe once or twice, but that's about it. The older I get, the more seldom I utilize it. If I'm hanging out with old cronies, the language might get salty, but that doesn't happen as often as it once did.

        During my years on a HS coaching staff, our head coach prohibited cussing on the practice field and on the sideline during games. Assistant coaches were fined for doing so. It was a good rule which was intended to emphasize teaching and communicating instead of belittling. Ironically, the fines were used to partly fund a riotous party at the end of each season.
        Last edited by samparnell; 10-01-2014, 04:16 PM.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm pretty good at turning off and on.

          I never curse at work. And not much around my parents except when football is on.


          But I was in the Marines. That kind of talk with Buddies is the norm. If you don't swear at all you're weird.

          That said I had one Marine who couldn't ever say a single sentence without the F word in it. It was beyond annoying. He sent me several voicemails post active duty that would just make me cringe.

          I personally don't have a problem with cursing. I think it's normal valid way to express emotions sometimes. I do agree it doesn't belong in the work place but I never understood why people get so offended about casual slang. I tend to not use them as direct insults at people. But I don't feel it should be offensive if the slang term fits the context of the speech. Or if it describes my emotions about a situation.

          I think as long as you sound educated and professional a majority of the time that it should be accepted. But that doesn't mean it should be a very common source of your vocabulary.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            I learned to cuss from Chief Boatswain's Mates in the US Coast Guard. Unfortunately, my daughters learned my vocabulary. However, in thirty-eight years in the classroom (15 middle school, 23 high school), I don't think I used any of that vocabulary; maybe once or twice, but that's about it. The older I get, the more seldom I utilize it. If I'm hanging out with old cronies, the language might get salty, but that doesn't happen as often as it once did.

            During my years on a HS coaching staff, our head coach prohibited cussing on the practice field and on the sideline during games. Assistant coaches were fined for doing so. It was a good rule which was intended to emphasize teaching and communicating instead of belittling. Ironically, the fines were used to partly fund a riotous party at the end of each season.
            Wow, I like that. :clap:
            *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
            *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
            *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*


            Comment


            • #7
              Danes swear a lot. I can control it if need be, sure but it's not necessarily rude to swear here (within reasons). I think it comes with the lack of Christian people. Nobody goes to church in Denmark and I'm pretty sure that applies to most of Scandinavia.

              You don't go around calling people names though, that's considered offensive.
              Adopted Poster
              AZ Snake Fan

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't like cursing and try not to do it.
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                Comment


                • #9
                  When I moved to Colorado from Florida I was astounded with how easily people swore in public and at work. I had a strict upbringing, and my parents would ground us when we used the words "fart" and "suck." LOL....my, times have changed!

                  Of course, CO is more liberal than FL, but still....it's shocking when you are having lunch in the employee cafeteria and your friend just can't stop swearing between bites of food....it was actually disgusting to both watch and listen. I finally told her if she didn't stop swearing we'd never go to lunch together again. She "un-friended" me and never spoke to me again. <shrugs> her loss.
                  sigpic
                  2014 Adopted Bronco: Juwan Thompson

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As a kid/teen/college student I flipped things on & off depending on the circumstances and setting. In the fraternity house - foul. In my grandparents' house - clean. There were certainly times and places that I was as foul-mouthed as anyone else. But there were other times where I took a different path in expressing myself.

                    Now, as an admittedly somewhat curmudgeonly mid-40's guy, I find most foul language off-putting and unattractive, especially in the context of ordinary day-to-day interactions. I'm sure my teenage boys drop some choice words from time to time, but I sure appreciate that they don't do that around their mom & me (& frankly hope they don't do it much at all).

                    All too often, I think, choosing a swear word is laziness and shows a lack of creativity &/or vocabulary. I think people can express themselves more effectively by using clearer, more precise terminology than saying "@#$% that," "eat [email protected]*%," or something like that.
                    Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                    FF is awesome!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FLBroncFan View Post
                      When I moved to Colorado from Florida I was astounded with how easily people swore in public and at work. I had a strict upbringing, and my parents would ground us when we used the words "fart" and "suck." LOL....my, times have changed!

                      Of course, CO is more liberal than FL, but still....it's shocking when you are having lunch in the employee cafeteria and your friend just can't stop swearing between bites of food....it was actually disgusting to both watch and listen. I finally told her if she didn't stop swearing we'd never go to lunch together again. She "un-friended" me and never spoke to me again. <shrugs> her loss.
                      ___ her!!!!

                      (I wasn't sure if I should fill in the blank with "Forgive" or "Bless")








                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
                        As a kid/teen/college student I flipped things on & off depending on the circumstances and setting. In the fraternity house - foul. In my grandparents' house - clean. There were certainly times and places that I was as foul-mouthed as anyone else. But there were other times where I took a different path in expressing myself.

                        Now, as an admittedly somewhat curmudgeonly mid-40's guy, I find most foul language off-putting and unattractive, especially in the context of ordinary day-to-day interactions. I'm sure my teenage boys drop some choice words from time to time, but I sure appreciate that they don't do that around their mom & me (& frankly hope they don't do it much at all).

                        All too often, I think, choosing a swear word is laziness and shows a lack of creativity &/or vocabulary. I think people can express themselves more effectively by using clearer, more precise terminology than saying "@#$% that," "eat [email protected]*%," or something like that.
                        That's exactly how I see it bud......

                        It's easy to fill a sentence with "those" words, but a smarter/classier approach takes some intelligence. The sad part is, the young lady where I work (who swears often) is so predictable. I just wait for those words to sprinkle thru everything she says. It's clearly uncreative and unattractive and unintelligent. I think folks like that believe swearing makes things sound tougher. But often it just sounds lame and forgettable.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X