Advice for Holding Down a Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Holding Down a Job?

Hey all, hope you are doing well! I wanted to create this thread because I want advice from people who have been working full-time jobs all their lives. It's always great to hear wisdom from those who have been around the block a few times.

So what I wanted to know was what is the best way to hold down a job while going to school full-time? I usually like to work a full-time job while going to school full-time and it has been exhausting.

Fortunately I am about to graduate from a 2 year university () and transfer myself to the big league (CU Boulder.) I know a lot of people say you have to choose between work or school but maybe if you are crafty enough you can do both.

A little bit about me: I've struggled holding down a job because I have a moderate hearing loss in both ears and I struggle with ADD. I'm thinking about talking to my doctor about getting some prescription medication to help me deal with it because it causes a lot of unnecessary problems.

I've stopped talking to my family about any issues I've had at my job(s) because they are always very critical and it is extremely frustrating. I feel like they fail to recognize how I'm dedicating my time to succeed at school (which I'm doing!) And instead they focus on the negative consistently, so I'm coming here to vent a little I guess.

I've worked a couple seasonal jobs which were okay, (one was awful lol.) All along the way though life got so stressful that I started drowning at my jobs and chose school instead, which is why I now have a 3.2 GPA soon to be a 3.4!

I've saved up a substantial amount of money *enough to buy a car, let's leave it at that* so right now I'm just kind of kicking back and relaxing while I'm waiting for my background check for my next job to go through.

Hopefully this next job should play a little more to my strengths because I'm an excellent salesman and I really enjoy it.

TLDR: Any advice you guys have about how to keep a job for a long time (1-5 years) I really appreciate. Thank you!
    sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

I am almost 70 years old and I have only had 3 employers my entire life. I am still working and I do have some suggestions for you. But believe me there will likely be a ton of people who will have better suggestions than these, but these guidelines or rules have served me well over the years.

1. Don't gossip
    2. Don't complain
    3. Take responsibility and be accountable for your actions. In other words never make excuses
    4. Never ever say it's not my job.
    5. Have something solid you can believe in. Like the saying goes, "If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    6. Be yourself

Good luck....like I said other will have words that will be wiser and more helpful than mine but these rules have worked well for me over the years.
    Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Comment

Well best of luck to you in your position. I've had 4 employers over the last 20 years, and have always been full time even during the times when I went to school part time. Very tough to do, so I commend you on it wether or not you were with the same employer.

I would say most importantly find something you enjoy, you mentioned you enjoy sales that should make a huge difference. If you don't like a job from the start your not apt to stay with it.

Same as Larry H, above…. stay away from gossip and complaining…. it will eventually bite you in the butt if you do either.

I understand having issues that interfere with working, hearing loss would be very difficult to work with I can imagine. Hopefully, you deal with folks face to face if you tend to read lips some to help.

What has kept me a long time with my current corporation is the opportunity for change. There are so many departments and positions that fit my level of education and experience. After I start getting bored with my position, I apply to move to another. All while staying with the same company, I continue to grow while enjoying the benefits that come from long-term employment.
      sigpic
      Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
      Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
      Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
      Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

Gee it's already been said...

Be good at what you do
        Get along with other employees even if you disagree with them
        Always take opportunities to improve yourself at work

18 years in one profession for me
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
          Gee it's already been said...

Be good at what you do
          Get along with other employees even if you disagree with them
          Always take opportunities to improve yourself at work

18 years in one profession for me
          I KNEW IT!! Such a youngster.
          sigpic
          2014 Adopted Bronco: Juwan Thompson

Comment

Be flexible... be responsive... be courteous... be prompt... be respectful... be kind... be a good listener... be open to change... do what you say that you will do... lead when others won't... follow when you sense that you should... and most of all, be truthful to yourself and everyone else.

Thirty-three years and counting as an engineer and engineering manager for a large aerospace firm.
            "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

Hey bF......I am semi-retired from a lengthy business career. I have some suggestions but before I list them, I still am uneasy that you should try to hold down a full time job, and go to school full time as well. If I was an employer, I might shy away from you, given how busy/tired you might be. That does not mean you can't do it, or that you don't deserve a good job (while going to school), but the very idea makes me a little concerned. You need balance in your life, and I don't mean balance of school and work only. Where's the free time to wind down and do other things?

So, although I still lean towards a part time job, here's a short list of general things I would tell anyone, to hold down a job as you call it:
              - Be reliable (be on time and at work, complete jobs as assigned, etc.)
              - Be a team player (that means helping peers and those you are partnered with, to ensure the team comes first. Do your best to create a respectful workplace)
              - Provide good work ethic (folks will overlook deficiencies if they know that an employee works hard)
              - Understand your boss.....this one's big. Know what he/she likes and doesn't like and work accordingly. CONVERSELY, if you do not connect with your boss, your days may be numbered.
              - Be an effective listener...(show others that you not only respect what everyone has to say, but that you learn from them, as well as accurately deliver what is asked of you.)
              - Show initiative. Offer ideas and come up with possible solutions for any problems you encounter. Impress upon others that you are a positive source, and not a negative one. (Oh yes, do not hang around with the negative ones. You know, the whiners and complainers. They will try to drag you down with them. No....hang with the positive ones. That's not only a healthy thing, but almost always way more interesting and fun.)
              - Be well-groomed....(you do not have to dress up like the old days, but try not to stand out for the wrong reasons. And that includes hygiene.)
              - Minimize personal business at work...(I have a pet peeve about the way many employees are wasting company time via social media. Of course, some companies do not allow it.)

Now, depending on the job, I can come up with other, more specific advice. I left out a number of things that might apply to more technical/complex positions. What I have offered is a fairly generic, short list, but I believe will serve you well. Feel free to ask for more details.

And good luck!:thumb:
              Last edited by CanDB; 11-12-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice! I'm doing pretty well in my new job! It's kind of low stress and repetitive which is just what I need right now. Plus it plays to my strengths which are customer service and sales.

I made the decision to go on medication for my ADD. I'm tired of having panic attacks at work, I need to fix this. Thanks for helping me make the right choice. I'm going to ask my doctor on Friday to right me a prescription for an anti-depressant which is originally what my psychologist ordered initially.
                sigpic

Comment

with the add meds start small. best thing i can tell you

find something thats a good release....like going to a gym and playing bball or rock climbing. Since all my jobs have been physical i either read a good book or play something like fallout or mass effect.

its easy for us adders to get overwhelmed especially if you dont stop to have some fun every now and then
                  Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
                    Thanks all for the advice! I'm doing pretty well in my new job! It's kind of low stress and repetitive which is just what I need right now. Plus it plays to my strengths which are customer service and sales.

I made the decision to go on medication for my ADD. I'm tired of having panic attacks at work, I need to fix this. Thanks for helping me make the right choice. I'm going to ask my doctor on Friday to right me a prescription for an anti-depressant which is originally what my psychologist ordered initially.
                    Good luck with the meds. Enjoy your life bud!

Comment

So I got the meds from my local doctor and they work great!

Any panic attacks that I used to have really don't happen anymore. The only downside is that I feel a little more tired than usual now often, but I can deal with that.

As I should have expected my parents are very negative about this new drug. I think I just need to stop talking to them about things in my life cause they area ALWAYS very negative, it's sad.

But this is an exciting new chapter, so thanks for the help guys! Appreciate it!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
                        So I got the meds from my local doctor and they work great!

Any panic attacks that I used to have really don't happen anymore. The only downside is that I feel a little more tired than usual now often, but I can deal with that.

As I should have expected my parents are very negative about this new drug. I think I just need to stop talking to them about things in my life cause they area ALWAYS very negative, it's sad.

But this is an exciting new chapter, so thanks for the help guys! Appreciate it!
                        Sometimes family members or friends can be negative about knowing someone they love is on medication. They hear the negatives on a medication, and get concerned for their loved one. Without having the disability themselves they don't always understand the good that can come from medication, if it can help someone overcome what is holding them back. I'm sure your parents are only concerned because they love you. Good luck with the job, and the changes your making.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                        Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                        Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                        Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                          Sometimes family members or friends can be negative about knowing someone they love is on medication. They hear the negatives on a medication, and get concerned for their loved one. Without having the disability themselves they don't always understand the good that can come from medication, if it can help someone overcome what is holding them back. I'm sure your parents are only concerned because they love you. Good luck with the job, and the changes your making.
                          Yah I think there is a stereotype that comes with the word "medication" unfortunately (especially living here in CO lol).

I am really excited though, for the first time in my life I am able to control these panic attacks. These panic attacks were RUINING my life as weird as that sounds.

Employers loved me except for the panic attacks that I would have which destroyed my career. This medicine gives me a chance to fight back for the first time and I'm really excited about it. Thanks for caring by the way, I really appreciate all the support from everyone.

sigpic

Comment

Get said job first, then make sure you know the policies and regulations, you follow those and you are golden.

Another nugget, watch your digital footprint. Even if you think you have private settings or folks can't see what you put on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. they find out.
                            sigpic
                            The Bronco fan pledge;
                            I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
                            I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
                            I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
                            I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
                            Bronco's Country.

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Comment

Working...
                            X