I Should Have Listened To You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Should Have Listened To You

I've said this myself, and I've heard it come my way. "I should have listened to you."

This was prompted by a post I read earlier today. I always like it when folks are cool enough to be honest and open about when they did the wrong thing or took the wrong road, given the advice they were offered. Lets be clear, I am quite sure every single person has chosen the wrong path along the way. Often it's immaturity, or stubbornness, or impatience. Sometimes it appeared to be the right decision, given all that was sized up. And unless we have all the facts, and unless we are totally objective, we are bound to make mistakes. Hey, sometimes we fail when we have all things covered, or so we believe.

Being on the receiving end of that very statement has been a real source of pride and appreciation on my part. Sometimes it's been so special that I can hardly keep my calm. If you've ever heard it from anyone that meant a lot to you or maybe did not seem to care, it hits a sweet spot inside that is extremely warming. I can still remember some of those specific experiences, and for me, that's all I needed to hear from them. There is no need for a conversation. There is absolutely no need for gloating about it. It's just a sensational interaction, giving one a real feeling of value. It allows you to realize, if just for a moment, that you are relevant, and of some worth to others.

And to those who say those words, good for you! A lot of folks do not like to recognize their mistakes, or that someone else knew better. And for them to come forward tells me they are good people. More important perhaps, it takes a pretty big person to do so. Never forget that.

As I move forward, one of my goals is to be better to others (and that includes listening), and another is to make as many good decisions as I can, small or big. I want to take better stock of matters, and weigh things as accurately as I can, without letting emotions get the better of me. I firmly believe that if a person can make a lot of good decisions, day after day, they will be more successful in their lives....and probably happier as a result. Simple as that may sound, it might explain a lot about why we are where we are. And with that all in mind, part of the process needs to include "listening", a lot. Of course you must filter what you take in, but no matter your emotions, feelings about others, or an assortment of other factors, it is always wise to be open minded, and to be cool enough to thank others for trying to help you.
    Last edited by CanDB; 11-10-2014, 01:23 PM.

I've found it isn't always easy to trust others to do something I myself am not so sure about. I'll sometimes not budge on a detail until I work the kinks out or understand it -- and that makes me a crumby team mate sometimes! I'm getting better at working with people though, and more often than not, I find myself being impressed by others' ideas. Friends always pull through when it matters. It feels better than doing everything myself.
    Brock you like a hurricane!
    sigpic
    Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

Wow! Fargo got a new avatar! Cool!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
        Wow! Fargo got a new avatar! Cool!
        I see.....I try to get deep and all you see is Fargo's av. I got to go back to the drawing board.

Comment

Everyone should listen to me. Always.

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
            Everyone should listen to me. Always.
            We do listen to everything you say......but after that I can't make any promises as to what happens to the info.

It's a start.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              We do listen to everything you say......but after that I can't make any promises as to what happens to the info.

It's a start.

better than my girlfriend anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                I see.....I try to get deep and all you see is Fargo's av. I got to go back to the drawing board.

It was late and I was not capable of deep thought. But, I greatly enjoy reading your posts and thank you very much for all you do to keep things interesting. Sincerely, thank you.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                  better than my girlfriend anyway.
                  Cmon Rem.....I hope you don't wear you're "I'm The Mod Here" shirt when you're with her. That poor young lady!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X