True Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Friends

I am not on Facebook, so I am not in the business of "collecting" friends. However, if I was a lot younger I would definitely employ that type of social media, not so much for "accumulating" friends, but for the opportunity it gives to interact with others, sometimes folks you would not normally get to know. When I was young, we did not have the internet, smart phones, or any type of phone other than the black dial phone in the middle of the house.....different colours and styles came in slowly afterward. Not complaining, because it was all we knew, but compared to today, we were extremely limited. Hey, we even sent letters, hoping to hear back a month or so later!

Regardless.....this is about friends. If we exclude family, who are the best friends you can ever ask for, I believe you are very fortunate to have even one good, loyal friend. You know the kind, that you can call in the middle of the night, and they'll be there for you. Those ones are priceless, and if you have one or more them, count yourself privileged.

I have lived much longer than most of you, I'm pretty sure, and through my days I've been blessed, because I think I can safely say I have about 10 great friends (other than my wonderful family). We don't all see each other often, but we are in contact. It may be a coffee every month or so, a breakfast or maybe lunch, or likely an email, which is the preferred means of non face to face communication, for my buds. Yes, some texting is happening, but seldom are we in a rush to discuss anything. Time is not as important as it once was.

I like a lot of folks here. There are various elements of friendship going on. But I can not safely say that anyone here could respond to an urgent situation that I am experiencing. And that doesn't bother me. It's tough, unless you have met, and have personal info. But to be clear, I do have some really cool connections as a result of joining up. Some of them just seem to evolve, and it would sure be interesting to meet, face to face, someday.

For those of you who do not have a big group of friends....not to worry. One great friend is better than a lot of "sort of" friends. If that one person will be there for you in the crunch, you are a lucky person indeed!

You are my friend. You can call me in the middle of the night to share pancake recipes if you want-- I am there for you.

My finger hurts just thinking about those old phones. One in the kitchen and one in Mom and Dad's room. When push-button technology came out it was awesome!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
      You are my friend. You can call me in the middle of the night to share pancake recipes if you want-- I am there for you.

My finger hurts just thinking about those old phones. One in the kitchen and one in Mom and Dad's room. When push-button technology came out it was awesome!
      OK then......pancakes and waffles at 3 am it is!:thumb:

Thx bud......you're a good dude!!

Comment

You honestly expect me to believe that you know how to text?

Real talk, I'm much much much much much younger than you , and I don't use facebook or anything like that either, for much of the same reasons. I have 4 or 5 very close friends that I truly care about, and I know care about me, and I'm good with that. That said, that group used to be bigger, and the further I get from highschool (12 years or so out now) the smaller that group seems to get. I suppose that's just how life works though.

BCMB is way better than facebook anyway.

Comment

I seldom tell this story but this thread seems to be the right place to tell it. A number of years ago our youngest daughter passed away suddenly. We were living in Chilliwack BC and my best friend in the whole world lived in Prince Albert Sask, about a 1000 miles away. It was 5:00 am and we had just gotten home from the hospital when the phone rang. One of the nurses in the hospital had phoned my friend and told her what happened. I answered the phone and the first words out of her mouth was...."Don't worry about a thing, we are packing the car and we will be there tomorrow morning." They drove all day and most of the night to be by our side. Those are real friends and I have been blessed with a number of people like that in my life.

I am almost 70 years old and have learned that one of the problems with getting old is that your friends do as well. I have lost 3 close friends in the past year and the friend I just told you about is struggling with cancer and the prognosis not good, so I will likely have to say goodbye to her this year as well. I make sure that I phone each of my close friends every week to tell them how important they are to me and how much I love them.
          Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryh View Post
            I seldom tell this story but this thread seems to be the right place to tell it. A number of years ago our youngest daughter passed away suddenly. We were living in Chilliwack BC and my best friend in the whole world lived in Prince Albert Sask, about a 1000 miles away. It was 5:00 am and we had just gotten home from the hospital when the phone rang. One of the nurses in the hospital had phoned my friend and told her what happened. I answered the phone and the first words out of her mouth was...."Don't worry about a thing, we are packing the car and we will be there tomorrow morning." They drove all day and most of the night to be by our side. Those are real friends and I have been blessed with a number of people like that in my life.

I am almost 70 years old and have learned that one of the problems with getting old is that your friends do as well. I have lost 3 close friends in the past year and the friend I just told you about is struggling with cancer and the prognosis not good, so I will likely have to say goodbye to her this year as well. I make sure that I phone each of my close friends every week to tell them how important they are to me and how much I love them.
            That's a powerful story that really illustrates what a true friend is, selfless. I am sorry for your loss.

Comment

I'll start by saying people my age and younger(23yrs old) take friends for granted. Most think you can treat "Friends" any kind of way and expect them to still by at your side. But if you're treating them like crap how could you expect them to? But this is how people my age and under approach friends. My generation and the younger take friends for granted and always looked confused when there isn't anyone to talk too.

For me I try to stay in contact with as many friends I've met over the years as possible. Even if we go a month or 2 without talking. I always check up on them. One friend and I, have been friends since preschool. We had preschool together, 3rd grade, 4th grade,I think 5th not sure, and 8th grade together. We're like brothers now, even though we now live miles apart.

I do however keep my close friends circle small as I don't trust many people.

As for this site, I'd like to believe I've made friends with a few people. Some I've even added or they added me on Facebook. I talk to Frenchy and Jet regularly on Facebook. Also talk to Venomous DB and Broncoholic JS on there as well from time to time. As well as some other posters, getting to know each other better and off the forum.

A lot of people here are good people who I enjoy talking too and the ones who aren't on facebook or Xbox live like you Can, I consider friend. Same for Fargo, ebsoria, and LordTrychon, whom I am friends with on facebook but we don't talk much.

Even though we don't know each other very well. I feel as if those I named are people who I can look to for advice or whatever, gather some wisdom from. My act on this site has cleaned up a lot since I first joined and as I've said in other threads, I owe that to you Can, Jet, Peanut, LT, and other mods. In that has also bled over into real life as well.
              sigpic
              Adopted Broncos:
              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                You honestly expect me to believe that you know how to text?

Real talk, I'm much much much much much younger than you , and I don't use facebook or anything like that either, for much of the same reasons. I have 4 or 5 very close friends that I truly care about, and I know care about me, and I'm good with that. That said, that group used to be bigger, and the further I get from highschool (12 years or so out now) the smaller that group seems to get. I suppose that's just how life works though.

BCMB is way better than facebook anyway.
                Ha ha......I text, but not very well!!!

Remember bud, it's not how many, but the quality of the friend that counts.:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Larryh View Post

Thanks for sharing bud! So sorry. And what great friends you truly have!

I understand what you are saying about your friends. It's tough losing them, along with our family members. This is one aspect of getting older that does not go as kindly as we had hoped. That's why it's so important to acknowledge your friends, and make sure they know how important they are.

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                    I'll start by saying people my age and younger(23yrs old) take friends for granted. Most think you can treat "Friends" any kind of way and expect them to still by at your side. But if you're treating them like crap how could you expect them to? But this is how people my age and under approach friends. My generation and the younger take friends for granted and always looked confused when there isn't anyone to talk too.

For me I try to stay in contact with as many friends I've met over the years as possible. Even if we go a month or 2 without talking. I always check up on them. One friend and I, have been friends since preschool. We had preschool together, 3rd grade, 4th grade,I think 5th not sure, and 8th grade together. We're like brothers now, even though we now live miles apart.

I do however keep my close friends circle small as I don't trust many people.

As for this site, I'd like to believe I've made friends with a few people. Some I've even added or they added me on Facebook. I talk to Frenchy and Jet regularly on Facebook. Also talk to Venomous DB and Broncoholic JS on there as well from time to time. As well as some other posters, getting to know each other better and off the forum.

A lot of people here are good people who I enjoy talking too and the ones who aren't on facebook or Xbox live like you Can, I consider friend. Same for Fargo, ebsoria, and LordTrychon, whom I am friends with on facebook but we don't talk much.

Even though we don't know each other very well. I feel as if those I named are people who I can look to for advice or whatever, gather some wisdom from. My act on this site has cleaned up a lot since I first joined and as I've said in other threads, I owe that to you Can, Jet, Peanut, LT, and other mods. In that has also bled over into real life as well.
                    I consider you a friend as well! And based on those you have recognized in your post, you clearly have a firm grip on the meaning of good people.

I appreciate your kind words IB. You are more mature than you know. And remember there's two sides to this.....us providing a little insight to you, and you doing the same for us.

Stay cool bud!:thumb:

Comment

I will say that I enjoy online friends as much and maybe more so than those who I know on a physical or everyday basis. Number 1 - I'm kinda quite - and I hate talking on the phone. It seems those I who grow close to like co-workers or neighbors always want to talk face to face or on the phone. For me, I kinda prefer having the option not to talk online instead. To me there are some who I've developed friendships with over the years on line, who I feel close to and consider good friends from what we share.

Before I found this site, there were other sites that I spent a lot of time on. I was sad I lost touch with folks who I talked to everyday on some of those sites. Sad to see the Daily Show forums disappear when they did, as I am that Jon Stewart is saying goodbye to the Show now. Anyhow, I was glad to be able to add some of those folks on Facebook, because I considered them friends and I like putting a face with who I was talking to everyday online as well.

Even if I don't talk to folks from this site elsewhere, and even if I just know them by a user name they are people who I consider a friend who like connecting with or talking to. A lot of folks who I consider friends are not the same people who I would expect to be present if I was in a bad situation, but they're more the people who like corresponding with the most on a regular basis.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                      Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                      Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                      Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                        I will say that I enjoy online friends as much and maybe more so than those who I know on a physical or everyday basis. Number 1 - I'm kinda quite - and I hate talking on the phone. It seems those I who grow close to like co-workers or neighbors always want to talk face to face or on the phone. For me, I kinda prefer having the option not to talk online instead. To me there are some who I've developed friendships with over the years on line, who I feel close to and consider good friends from what we share.

Before I found this site, there were other sites that I spent a lot of time on. I was sad I lost touch with folks who I talked to everyday on some of those sites. Sad to see the Daily Show forums disappear when they did, as I am that Jon Stewart is saying goodbye to the Show now. Anyhow, I was glad to be able to add some of those folks on Facebook, because I considered them friends and I like putting a face with who I was talking to everyday online as well.

Even if I don't talk to folks from this site elsewhere, and even if I just know them by a user name they are people who I consider a friend who like connecting with or talking to. A lot of folks who I consider friends are not the same people who I would expect to be present if I was in a bad situation, but they're more the people who like corresponding with the most on a regular basis.
                        I've bolded our similarities. The other mods would probably not agree, but I am a quiet person.

I was on a racing MB that died when the driver "retired". On that site, we collected money twice for members. Once when fires almost took this guy's ranch (CA) and when a lady's husband unexpectedly died. We've cried, laughed and shared our lives with each other. I've met 3 of them in person, one we meet up every year in Dover for the races (NASCAR). I don't do Facebook, but we stay in touch through emails and Christmas cards.
                        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I keep my list of close friends very very short... And often communication falls by the wayside as time goes on, which saddens me in a way, but in the end I always know who I can reach out to in a time of need, whether it be mine or theirs...

I consider myself to be an extremely extroverted introvert, as in I am usually the first to say hello, but if you get anything more than a "same ole same ole" or "yeah, how about them Broncos" from me, you know I trust you as a person.
                          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                          Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

I consider a lot of people here friends. The list of people I would consider friends here is too long to write. I have been lucky enough to meet Frenchy once in Denver and had a couple of failed attempts with others. I believe Facebook is evil I don't connect with people that way. I phone or text, thats how you find me.

I meet people easily but deciding I like them....that's another story....
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                              I consider a lot of people here friends. The list of people I would consider friends here is too long to write. I have been lucky enough to meet Frenchy once in Denver and had a couple of failed attempts with others. I believe Facebook is evil I don't connect with people that way. I phone or text, thats how you find me.

I meet people easily but deciding I like them....that's another story....
                              You and Rem and me, at a mini doughnut joint in downtown Winnipeg! (I would prefer the big doughnuts myself, but Rem seems to have a thing for them!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X