No announcement yet.

True Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once mentioned in a speech that having a really good friend is like winning the lottery. I stand by that.

In my very last career position, I was not excited about the job - though compensated very fairly (and treated very well). But it did one thing I will never forget. You see, at the last stage of my long career, I met someone who has become a permanent buddy. If not for that job change, I would not have made the connection. He's part of one of my breakfast "groups", who I look forward to seeing in a couple of days.

Life's interesting that way. That was a lottery win.

Comment

A lot of great posts in this thread :thumb:
      Adopted Poster
      AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
        I will say that I enjoy online friends as much and maybe more so than those who I know on a physical or everyday basis. Number 1 - I'm kinda quite - and I hate talking on the phone. It seems those I who grow close to like co-workers or neighbors always want to talk face to face or on the phone. For me, I kinda prefer having the option not to talk online instead. To me there are some who I've developed friendships with over the years on line, who I feel close to and consider good friends from what we share.

Before I found this site, there were other sites that I spent a lot of time on. I was sad I lost touch with folks who I talked to everyday on some of those sites. Sad to see the Daily Show forums disappear when they did, as I am that Jon Stewart is saying goodbye to the Show now. Anyhow, I was glad to be able to add some of those folks on Facebook, because I considered them friends and I like putting a face with who I was talking to everyday online as well.

Even if I don't talk to folks from this site elsewhere, and even if I just know them by a user name they are people who I consider a friend who like connecting with or talking to. A lot of folks who I consider friends are not the same people who I would expect to be present if I was in a bad situation, but they're more the people who like corresponding with the most on a regular basis.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

I am not as comfortable online as many others, but that's partly because I am from a different generation, or so I believe. I am cautious about relations. BUT, I have changed some of my stance regarding online connections. And if I was a younger person, I am sure that I would be much more at ease with who I get close with. I also understand that people are making lifelong decisions, based on meeting people in this way. Like anything else, there's usually a good side and another to be careful about.

As I've stated, I have enjoyed this place. Without actually meeting these folks, I have a pretty good idea of who they are and what they are like. Of course I would like to have a little more background, even just watching their reactions and seeing how they behave, face to face. Often what's missing here is the fact that we have to go a little further to package our comments, in terms of our feelings. The smilies help a lot. But gestures and all the body language does play an important part in the communication process. Sometimes I miss the opportunity to take someone aside, and have a really good interaction. It helps minimize miscommunication, and at times, I feel that happens.

So, yes I am blessed to have a group of face to face friends. I've had many decades to build that network I guess. I made them over the course of my life, so one never knows where that next really good friend will come. I say to all, keep yourself open for it. Don't push it, it will happen.

And for the record, you seem like a very nice person.:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
          A lot of great posts in this thread :thumb:
          Donuts with some, danish with another.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            You and Rem and me, at a mini doughnut joint in downtown Winnipeg! (I would prefer the big doughnuts myself, but Rem seems to have a thing for them!!)
            That would be interesting.... funny enough I am not a doughnut guy....but I can make do :thumb:
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
              That would be interesting.... funny enough I am not a doughnut guy....but I can make do :thumb:
              If not, I know I'll catch up with you at a Broncos game someday!

:thumb:
              Last edited by CanDB; 02-16-2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                If not, I know I'll catch with you at a Broncos game someday!

:thumb:
                Hot dogs and beer!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                  Hot dogs and beer!!!
                  Yes:thumb:.....but nothing else with guacamole in it. My wife gave me a bite of her sandwich at The Broncos game, and the guacamole stained my jersey. Mind you, it looked like I had some grass stain on it, making me look more authentic. Yah right!

Someday my friend.....someday!

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                    I've bolded our similarities. The other mods would probably not agree, but I am a quiet person.

I was on a racing MB that died when the driver "retired". On that site, we collected money twice for members. Once when fires almost took this guy's ranch (CA) and when a lady's husband unexpectedly died. We've cried, laughed and shared our lives with each other. I've met 3 of them in person, one we meet up every year in Dover for the races (NASCAR). I don't do Facebook, but we stay in touch through emails and Christmas cards.
                    We see a lot the same from what you bolded. Yeah, people can develop some good friendships on line. I think part of it is just being on the boards that we have the most interest in, there's always common interest with others on the board.
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                    Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Working...
                    X