Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can We AlterThis World By Turning Left Instead Of Right?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can We AlterThis World By Turning Left Instead Of Right?

    .......or right instead of left

    Seriously, I've wondered about the possibilities, if any single one of us made a slight adjustment in the path we take, the decisions we make, or even the food we bake (ok, enough of the "ake" stuff). But is there a ripple affect if we change the course of our actions? Are we that significant that by going left instead of right, we can actually change the course of history??

    I say it all depends. If for example I am out in the woods somewhere, and change my path so to speak, probably little comes of it. Of course that's sort of the "if a tree falls in the forest....." factor. If on the other hand, I do something different in the middle of a bustling city, who knows how that might alter everything around? Maybe I cause an accident, or change someone else's decision. There can be a domino affect on pretty much anything we do. And if that chain of impacted events involves some one/some thing, that has a significant role in the bigger picture, on that very day, the possibilities are almost endless.

    I could elaborate with examples.....I alter my plans and buy the last item in the store, or I change my decision and select the last seat in a movie theatre, or when younger, I ask out a girl instead of passing by, or I stay home sick one day instead of pushing myself to go in, or......and these seem like small things......I turn left instead of right.

    Of course we all initiate bigger actions. You can fill in the blanks.

    In the end, on any one day, I believe a changed action by any one of us may alter history, if the right conditions exist. At very least, it may change someone else's world. That's big enough, right?

    And for the record, even if you don't believe that too much changes by our singular actions, I suggest you give one test a try........reach out and help someone in need. That may not seem like much, but improving another person's life, one who is in need, is huge, even if it never gets near to the history books.

    :thumb:

  • #2
    What about the leaves we rake?
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      On which side of the road do they drive in Canada and why?
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        On which side of the road do they drive in Canada and why?
        They're all over the place. Drunks!
        Adopted Poster
        AZ Snake Fan

        Comment


        • #5
          I can see my "boys" are appreciating the complexity of this thread......must have taken them all of, lets see, 2.3 seconds to think it over and respond (and take a wiz)!!!

          I think I get the meaning of my own thread......if I chose not to post this thread instead, I would have saved a lot of time for myself and others!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            On which side of the road do they drive in Canada and why?
            The "right" side!

            Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
            They're all over the place. Drunks!
            Not going to deny it......

            Comment


            • #7
              I have started reading the book Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition by T. Colin Campbell, PhD. I also own the book, The China Study, but wanted to begin with this one. (I realize that I am reading them in reverse order, but I was curious about the newer book.) I have plans to hear Dr. Campbell speak at a function soon, and I'm very excited.

              Your post, Can, brought this book to mind about small changes. As most of you here know, I follow a plant-based diet. I identify as an ethical vegan and have a very compassionate heart for animals. It is that which brought me to the decision to exclude animal products from my life. That started, actually, as a small change for me. One change, however, kind of rolled into the next. I definitely feel that my life is the better for it.

              Dr. Campbell's book is a fascinating look into the sad state of nutrition in the US. To think that making a change, however small, and moving in a positive direction, can help the plight of health care, is nothing less than amazing. So, the theme of changes, however small and tentative, is one that resonates with me.

              It probably sounds odd to most here, but I carry a heavy burden in my heart for the way that innocent animals are used to feed the masses. I pray a silent prayer each day for their suffering. This book gives me hope that others may read and (hopefully) follow what Dr. Campbell is suggesting. To quote the ancient philosopher, Lao-tzu, " A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". I cling to the belief that it is true; otherwise, how will change ever occur?

              So Can, I have faith that you are correct in your thoughts. Even so, that yes, even a small adjustment can change the world. I cling to that hope daily.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by southern cross View Post
                I have started reading the book Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition by T. Colin Campbell, PhD. I also own the book, The China Study, but wanted to begin with this one. (I realize that I am reading them in reverse order, but I was curious about the newer book.) I have plans to hear Dr. Campbell speak at a function soon, and I'm very excited.

                Your post, Can, brought this book to mind about small changes. As most of you here know, I follow a plant-based diet. I identify as an ethical vegan and have a very compassionate heart for animals. It is that which brought me to the decision to exclude animal products from my life. That started, actually, as a small change for me. One change, however, kind of rolled into the next. I definitely feel that my life is the better for it.

                Dr. Campbell's book is a fascinating look into the sad state of nutrition in the US. To think that making a change, however small, and moving in a positive direction, can help the plight of health care, is nothing less than amazing. So, the theme of changes, however small and tentative, is one that resonates with me.

                It probably sounds odd to most here, but I carry a heavy burden in my heart for the way that innocent animals are used to feed the masses. I pray a silent prayer each day for their suffering. This book gives me hope that others may read and (hopefully) follow what Dr. Campbell is suggesting. To quote the ancient philosopher, Lao-tzu, " A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". I cling to the belief that it is true; otherwise, how will change ever occur?

                So Can, I have faith that you are correct in your thoughts. Even so, that yes, even a small adjustment can change the world. I cling to that hope daily.
                Great post SC! I may not be where you are at re: this particular subject, but I respect your stance and the way you have positioned it within this thread.

                :thumb:
                CanDB
                Football Immortal
                Last edited by CanDB; 01-29-2015, 07:03 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by southern cross View Post
                  I have started reading the book Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition by T. Colin Campbell, PhD. I also own the book, The China Study, but wanted to begin with this one. (I realize that I am reading them in reverse order, but I was curious about the newer book.) I have plans to hear Dr. Campbell speak at a function soon, and I'm very excited.

                  Your post, Can, brought this book to mind about small changes. As most of you here know, I follow a plant-based diet. I identify as an ethical vegan and have a very compassionate heart for animals. It is that which brought me to the decision to exclude animal products from my life. That started, actually, as a small change for me. One change, however, kind of rolled into the next. I definitely feel that my life is the better for it.

                  Dr. Campbell's book is a fascinating look into the sad state of nutrition in the US. To think that making a change, however small, and moving in a positive direction, can help the plight of health care, is nothing less than amazing. So, the theme of changes, however small and tentative, is one that resonates with me.

                  It probably sounds odd to most here, but I carry a heavy burden in my heart for the way that innocent animals are used to feed the masses. I pray a silent prayer each day for their suffering. This book gives me hope that others may read and (hopefully) follow what Dr. Campbell is suggesting. To quote the ancient philosopher, Lao-tzu, " A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". I cling to the belief that it is true; otherwise, how will change ever occur?

                  So Can, I have faith that you are correct in your thoughts. Even so, that yes, even a small adjustment can change the world. I cling to that hope daily.
                  I saw that show on Netflix. They made some compelling arguments, but it occurred to me that our ancestors were meat-eaters and therefore so are we-- it is what we were made to do. But, some seem to respond well to it.

                  I just cut out flour and sugar-- it makes a big difference. I'm allergic to gluten-free
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                    I saw that show on Netflix. They made some compelling arguments, but it occurred to me that our ancestors were meat-eaters and therefore so are we-- it is what we were made to do. But, some seem to respond well to it.

                    I just cut out flour and sugar-- it makes a big difference. I'm allergic to gluten-free
                    Hey, that's a great step you've taken! I think it's fantastic that you are noticing a difference, too!

                    I will say that my family hasn't always been crazy about the things that I cook. Let me see, tempeh comes to mind. But I make a mean buffalo millet grilled sandwich, and that is oft-requested around here!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am turning left instead of right today! (Better not be a one way, going right. Otherwise I will probably change history....at least getting a ticket that is)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        As long as you don't take all rights or all lefts, because then you'd just go in circles, and never get anywhere.

                        J/K… have to agree with you on the idea that any different decision would change history in some sense… because there is always going to be some type of ripple effect.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                        Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                        Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                        Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          .......or right instead of left

                          Seriously, I've wondered about the possibilities, if any single one of us made a slight adjustment in the path we take, the decisions we make, or even the food we bake (ok, enough of the "ake" stuff). But is there a ripple affect if we change the course of our actions? Are we that significant that by going left instead of right, we can actually change the course of history??

                          I say it all depends. If for example I am out in the woods somewhere, and change my path so to speak, probably little comes of it. Of course that's sort of the "if a tree falls in the forest....." factor. If on the other hand, I do something different in the middle of a bustling city, who knows how that might alter everything around? Maybe I cause an accident, or change someone else's decision. There can be a domino affect on pretty much anything we do. And if that chain of impacted events involves some one/some thing, that has a significant role in the bigger picture, on that very day, the possibilities are almost endless.

                          I could elaborate with examples.....I alter my plans and buy the last item in the store, or I change my decision and select the last seat in a movie theatre, or when younger, I ask out a girl instead of passing by, or I stay home sick one day instead of pushing myself to go in, or......and these seem like small things......I turn left instead of right.

                          Of course we all initiate bigger actions. You can fill in the blanks.

                          In the end, on any one day, I believe a changed action by any one of us may alter history, if the right conditions exist. At very least, it may change someone else's world. That's big enough, right?

                          And for the record, even if you don't believe that too much changes by our singular actions, I suggest you give one test a try........reach out and help someone in need. That may not seem like much, but improving another person's life, one who is in need, is huge, even if it never gets near to the history books.

                          :thumb:
                          Great ideas, but unfortunately we live in a world where people lack self-responsibility and are under the trance of reality television. Those able to make such turning adjustments, or even having the awareness to do so, have become the minority.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                            As long as you don't take all rights or all lefts, because then you'd just go in circles, and never get anywhere.

                            J/K… have to agree with you on the idea that any different decision would change history in some sense… because there is always going to be some type of ripple effect.
                            No wonder I don't get anywhere!!!

                            Yah, I didn't go into too much detail, but you sometimes hear those extreme stories where someone at the last minute does not go on a flight that crashes.......or someone gets lucky and buys a lottery ticket, that they almost forget about.....or a variety of similar or opposing situations. Of course, those were "normal" in that, they happened. But still, there's a strange and sometimes eerie feeling when you hear how a last second shift in plans can be so amazing or devastating.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well now......I'll bet Seattle is asking itself this question, over and over and over. If we go Beast instead of a pass, we probably change history!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X