Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those Nasty Words....In Flight Turbulence!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those Nasty Words....In Flight Turbulence!

I love to travel. I love seeing famous sights, learning about cultures, enjoying the sceneries, attending special events, meeting people, and so on. BUT, I am not a big fan of flying, especially when turbulence is a factor. Sure, I can handle the small stuff. In fact, I always get a window seat, so as to view sights from so high above. That part of the flight is almost worthy of the ticket price alone.

But serious turbulence is not ok by me. Nor is it for many people, and yes, often tough people. It actually makes me feel better to hear some big, strong athlete say they do not fare well in bumpy flights. I have a theory......that many of us are able to handle tough situations, but only if we have some control in the process. Unfortunately we do not have control of unstable air.

I was pretty good with turbulence until I had a very bad experience, when our plane started to do things I didn't think were reasonable. It felt like the plane was being thrown about, as if it was a small toy. Then again, it wasn't anywhere as bad as some turbulence, but for a few minutes things got dicey, so much so that you could hear screams throughout the aircraft. Thinking back, I hope those weren't coming from the pilots!!!! I still feel bad for the senior gentleman beside me, as I spilled coffee on him. At least it was cooled off by then.

I sure wish they would allow me to be "put out" during flights, at least for the middle part. I can handle the takeoff and the last hour or so, but if the middle is bumpy, I get anxious. How about that wonderful stuff that you get for certain medical procedures, that's like a partial anaesthetic. The kind that knocks you out, but allows you to come to as soon as the procedure is done, and with no after effects. Mind you, I am quite sure that it would be illegal to be "out" during a flight, plus the length of time on such medication may not be safe.:nono:

Booze doesn't work for me either. And unfortunately I don't fall asleep on flights anymore, mostly because one bump and I'm wide awake!

Oh well.....gotta suck it up I guess. How about you?

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I love to travel. I love seeing famous sights, learning about cultures, enjoying the sceneries, attending special events, meeting people, and so on. BUT, I am not a big fan of flying, especially when turbulence is a factor. Sure, I can handle the small stuff. In fact, I always get a window seat, so as to view sights from so high above. That part of the flight is almost worthy of the ticket price alone.

But serious turbulence is not ok by me. Nor is it for many people, and yes, often tough people. It actually makes me feel better to hear some big, strong athlete say they do not fare well in bumpy flights. I have a theory......that many of us are able to handle tough situations, but only if we have some control in the process. Unfortunately we do not have control of unstable air.

I was pretty good with turbulence until I had a very bad experience, when our plane started to do things I didn't think were reasonable. It felt like the plane was being thrown about, as if it was a small toy. Then again, it wasn't anywhere as bad as some turbulence, but for a few minutes things got dicey, so much so that you could hear screams throughout the aircraft. Thinking back, I hope those weren't coming from the pilots!!!! I still feel bad for the senior gentleman beside me, as I spilled coffee on him. At least it was cooled off by then.

I sure wish they would allow me to be "put out" during flights, at least for the middle part. I can handle the takeoff and the last hour or so, but if the middle is bumpy, I get anxious. How about that wonderful stuff that you get for certain medical procedures, that's like a partial anaesthetic. The kind that knocks you out, but allows you to come to as soon as the procedure is done, and with no after effects. Mind you, I am quite sure that it would be illegal to be "out" during a flight, plus the length of time on such medication may not be safe.:nono:

Booze doesn't work for me either. And unfortunately I don't fall asleep on flights anymore, mostly because one bump and I'm wide awake!

Oh well.....gotta suck it up I guess. How about you?
    Do you mean an epidural, I know a lot of women swear by them but, that'd be a little strange and probably would numb the wrong end anyway...

So, I've flow all over and I have never experienced really bad turbulence. My only strange sort-of fear (wholly irrational) is when flying over an ocean I'm always a touch relieved when coming back over land - not because of the proximity of an airport - but some weird fear of crashing in the water vs crashing on land. I guess I don't want to die wet.

My greater problem with flights, long flights in particular, is that I don't sleep well on planes. Back in the day it wasn't too uncommon to fly overseas and you might have a chance of an empty seat next to you or, if you were lucky, a whole row. Now, almost never. Being cramped close to people for 14 hours and not being able to sleep... torture.

Comment

Turbulence doesn't really bother me, my girlfriend on the other hand.....

When we flew into Newark there was a bad rain storm/really bad fog... and we had experienced reallllly bad turbulence for a lot of the flight... so after all that we got placed in a holding pattern over the city for an hour. she was so rattled.

poor girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
        Do you mean an epidural, I know a lot of women swear by them but, that'd be a little strange and probably would numb the wrong end anyway...

So, I've flow all over and I have never experienced really bad turbulence. My only strange sort-of fear (wholly irrational) is when flying over an ocean I'm always a touch relieved when coming back over land - not because of the proximity of an airport - but some weird fear of crashing in the water vs crashing on land. I guess I don't want to die wet.

My greater problem with flights, long flights in particular, is that I don't sleep well on planes. Back in the day it wasn't too uncommon to fly overseas and you might have a chance of an empty seat next to you or, if you were lucky, a whole row. Now, almost never. Being cramped close to people for 14 hours and not being able to sleep... torture.
        Oh for a nice long sleep in the "friendly skies"!!!

But you share the same problem as my wife (other than having to put up with me!), regarding dislike for flying over water. She is much braver in the air than I, but she does not allow me to mention that we are over water when flying. Then again, having been overseas a number of times, she just doesn't look anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
          Turbulence doesn't really bother me, my girlfriend on the other hand.....

When we flew into Newark there was a bad rain storm/really bad fog... and we had experienced reallllly bad turbulence for a lot of the flight... so after all that we got placed in a holding pattern over the city for an hour. she was so rattled.

poor girl.
          Believe me, I feel her pain......oh, and the turbulence as well!

Comment

lol my wifes the same way. ive flown a lot as a kid but less as an adult.

my 2 bad times out over a hundred flights was going into ohare and boston.

boston wasnt the actual flight but i got in and started reading about how they had a near hit (i refuse to call it a near miss) between two landing planes the day i came in.

ohare we were landing and had a gust of wind that forced the plane down onto the ground from about 15ft up. it bounced off the runway and back up into the air. when we bounced it was pretty jarring

and can your timing is impeccable as we are boarding the plane right now
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
              lol my wifes the same way. ive flown a lot as a kid but less as an adult.

my 2 bad times out over a hundred flights was going into ohare and boston.

boston wasnt the actual flight but i got in and started reading about how they had a near hit (i refuse to call it a near miss) between two landing planes the day i came in.

ohare we were landing and had a gust of wind that forced the plane down onto the ground from about 15ft up. it bounced off the runway and back up into the air. when we bounced it was pretty jarring

and can your timing is impeccable as we are boarding the plane right now
              Tell me you had a good flight......and sorry for the terrible timing! I should know better given my uneasiness. Then again, flying is one of the very safest modes of travel.

Comment

Tell me you had a good flight......and sorry for the terrible timing! I should know better given my uneasiness. Then again, flying is one of the very safest modes of travel.
                dont apologize! i forget how to convey sarcasm on the comp sometimes if i was skiddish i would have read the title and silently slipped back out

the only problem was that we were delayed by all the rich people flying in in their private jets. once again the few delay the masses
                little man did awesome flying both times as he just slept. i think the fact that we live at higher elevation and go down in the valley routinely helps with the ears.

my wife experienced a bad flight from colorado to florida. she just happened to be in the bathroom when they quickly turned on the fasten seat belt sign and hit really bad turbulence. she said it lasted a while so she was stuck in the bathroom for what seemed like forever
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                  dont apologize! i forget how to convey sarcasm on the comp sometimes if i was skiddish i would have read the title and silently slipped back out

the only problem was that we were delayed by all the rich people flying in in their private jets. once again the few delay the masses
                  little man did awesome flying both times as he just slept. i think the fact that we live at higher elevation and go down in the valley routinely helps with the ears.

my wife experienced a bad flight from colorado to florida. she just happened to be in the bathroom when they quickly turned on the fasten seat belt sign and hit really bad turbulence. she said it lasted a while so she was stuck in the bathroom for what seemed like forever
                  That might be one case where I wouldn't have an issue if someone had a cigarette, or maybe something a bit "stronger". That situation would be hellish for me. Luckily plane washrooms are usually tight, so less bounce room, I guess. Easy for me to speculate.

Comment

Aviation is a passion of mine, always has been and let me tell you, turbulence is not something you should worry about, Dave. Think of it as driving on a bumpy road. The fuselage and wing flex are capable of withstanding far greater punishment than your typical turbulence.

Keep in mind that it's the aircraft performing a climb to cruise FL and descent, following the data in its MCDU/FMC (in compliance to flight rules). When weather permits, the captain or first officer (typically the latter) will disengage the autopilot after descent/approach and land the aircraft manually.

This part of the entire flight is also where most incidents occur. From the controller putting two aircrafts on collision course to the flight crew making mistakes (or simply inexperience), most incidents happen as a direct result of human interference. Trust the aircraft, it is very VERY safe.
                    Adopted Poster
                    AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                      Aviation is a passion of mine, always has been and let me tell you, turbulence is not something you should worry about, Dave. Think of it as driving on a bumpy road. The fuselage and wing flex are capable of withstanding far greater punishment than your typical turbulence.

Keep in mind that it's the aircraft performing a climb to cruise FL and descent, following the data in its MCDU/FMC (in compliance to flight rules). When weather permits, the captain or first officer (typically the latter) will disengage the autopilot after descent/approach and land the aircraft manually.

This part of the entire flight is also where most incidents occur. From the controller putting two aircrafts on collision course to the flight crew making mistakes (or simply inexperience), most incidents happen as a direct result of human interference. Trust the aircraft, it is very VERY safe.
                      So now you're telling me I should check out the pilots before liftoff.

Thanks for this. I need to fly with folks like you. But in that case, the worst fear ever would be if someone like you started to scream.....then I'm in big doo doo!!!

Comment

So now you're telling me I should check out the pilots before liftoff.

Thanks for this. I need to fly with folks like you. But in that case, the worst fear ever would be if someone like you started to scream.....then I'm in big doo doo!!!

You damn well better!

Adopted Poster
                        AZ Snake Fan

Comment

You damn well better!

I have to be honest, a number of times when I flew, especially when I was single, I had the fortune to sit next to an interesting person that I got to chat with for most of the flight......sometimes that person was quite attractive. Those flights were far too short, and I hardly noticed any bumps along the way.

Comment

I have to be honest, a number of times when I flew, especially when I was single, I had the fortune to sit next to an interesting person that I got to chat with for most of the flight......sometimes that person was quite attractive. Those flights were far too short, and I hardly noticed any bumps along the way.
                            I reckon a bump or two under such circumstances wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. =)
                            Adopted Poster
                            AZ Snake Fan

Comment

I reckon a bump or two under such circumstances wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. =)
                              Not to mention, if any of them showed me the least bit of fear, I suddenly became superman-like, and took over the role of the "bodyguard", if you get my drift......or fumes in this case. Oh yes, bring on the bumps!!! And if need be, I'll even provide a shoulder in support.

Comment

Working...
                              X