The Case Of The Missing Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case Of The Missing Sandwich

I only work part time as a semi retired employee. I often bring my own lunch, though there are times I grab something from a BBQ cart on our route. Sometimes I do not get to eat all of my lunch, as we are sometimes sent away with little notice, and at those times we may not return to that same location that day. In past I've had a couple of sandwiches sit in the fridge for too long, and I have to throw them out, because a week or two has elapsed since my last trip to that building. It's the nature of the work.

Yesterday I made a nice chicken sandwich, in a ciabatta bun. I placed it where I usually find a spot in the work fridge. I noticed then that I never got to eat my sandwich from a previous workday. There it was, ham on a ciabatta bun, in a plastic lunch bag. I felt bad to throw it out, but it's time had come. Others where I work sometimes leave food in that fridge and forget to remove it. Not very sanitary.

Later that morning one of the regular employees was asking around if we had taken his sandwich by mistake. He said that if someone had taken his, he'd eat the other one. At first it didn't hit me. I hardly know the guy, and I figured something else had occurred. BUT THEN, it hit me like a rock. I had thrown out his sandwich. I mean, it was the exact same sandwich! It was even wrapped the same way, in the same type of bun. My goodness, it had been a while since I last worked, but clearly I had made a big mistake. I ate that sandwich way back. I just assumed it was mine, because it looked the same and was in the same spot. And here I was trying to be proactive, and trying to keep the fridge clean.

Now believe me, I hate wasting food. But one needs to be sensible about food that is getting old.

Anyway....I did not know how to tell him. After all, his sandwich was now laying in a dirty garbage can. And he had said those magic words, "if nothing else, I will just eat the sandwich beside it, assuming someone took the wrong one." Which he did.

I felt better knowing how good the sandwich was that I brought to work. He must have loved it! And though I was out of luck food-wise, I felt redemption, in that I did not have to explain my stupidity, but that I also provided him an excellent source of sustenance!

I will never let this happen again! Hopefully logistics at work will not cause these things to occur....but that's out of my control. Hey, when we are asked to jump into a car, I have to go.

Truth is, I felt pretty stupid! Luckily I did not have to explain.

Please tell me you have done something "nearly" as dumb!!!

I ate it

Comment

But in all seriousness I've done similar if not worse. I got an email from a coworker saying he left me breadsticks in the breakroom fridge, to "go for it"

So during my lunch I went into the break room, opened the refrigerator and saw a bag of Little Caesars Crazy bread. I pulled out the bag, popped it in the microwave for about 40 seconds and began enjoying at our break table.

Little did I know this coworker of mine "was wrong" and 'forgot' the breadsticks in the passenger seat of his car.. While I was eating another employee's lunch. I didn't find this out until that other employee called me out in front of the crowded break-room..

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
        But in all seriousness I've done similar if not worse. I got an email from a coworker saying he left me breadsticks in the breakroom fridge, to "go for it"

So during my lunch I went into the break room, opened the refrigerator and saw a bag of Little Caesars Crazy bread. I pulled out the bag, popped it in the microwave for about 40 seconds and began enjoying at our break table.

Little did I know this coworker of mine "was wrong" and 'forgot' the breadsticks in the passenger seat of his car.. While I was eating another employee's lunch. I didn't find this out until that other employee called me out in front of the crowded break-room..
        Thx DM.......you have made me feel a little bit smarter.. Sorry you got called out though. For sure, you made a perfectly innocent mistake. And I felt like mine was innocent and the right thing to do. Except.........

Comment

I've sadly been on the receiving end of people taking my food for too, too many times.

I curse you both!!

Seriously though, being the oft offended party I can honestly say the only time I was really bothered (beyond having to find did elsewhere unexpectedly) were the times my food was taken when it wasn't by mistake.

Comment

Cmon gang, there's got to be more stories about food disappearing. I'm salivating for them!!!!:doh:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              Cmon gang, there's got to be more stories about food disappearing. I'm salivating for them!!!!:doh:
              A group of teenagers can make a large number of pizzas disappear in a very short time.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I actually caught someone in the act of attempting to ninja my food here at work...He tried to explain it off like he grabbed the wrong thing...but not a lot of thing look like a half rack of ribs in tupperware haha.
                sigpic

Comment

lol - I've had the cleaning crew throw out my lunch that was just brought in on that day … and been irritated by it, but never a co-worker just doing there due diligence… haha, nice one!

Lunches are often confused at my work, because so many have the same lunch carrier …. I'm unique with Broncos bag, never gets confused since I got that as a gift some time ago.

Let's see…. a comparable story of something I felt stupid for…. I once walked through a store, completely absorbed in my thoughts as I shopped. I filled the cart up completely, and walked right past all the check out counters and out the door to my car. I was unloading everything, and thought "what the H?" They didn't even bag any of my stuff. What's wrong with this place, that they couldn't even bag my stuff? Then it hit me, I didn't pay for anything …. full cart…. anyways, being honest I put everything back in the cart and went back into the store and wheeled up to a cashier and paid. I felt stupid that time….
                  sigpic
                  Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                  Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                  Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                  Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Cut out the middle man, write your name on your Samich!

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                      lol - I've had the cleaning crew throw out my lunch that was just brought in on that day … and been irritated by it, but never a co-worker just doing there due diligence… haha, nice one!

Lunches are often confused at my work, because so many have the same lunch carrier …. I'm unique with Broncos bag, never gets confused since I got that as a gift some time ago.

Let's see…. a comparable story of something I felt stupid for…. I once walked through a store, completely absorbed in my thoughts as I shopped. I filled the cart up completely, and walked right past all the check out counters and out the door to my car. I was unloading everything, and thought "what the H?" They didn't even bag any of my stuff. What's wrong with this place, that they couldn't even bag my stuff? Then it hit me, I didn't pay for anything …. full cart…. anyways, being honest I put everything back in the cart and went back into the store and wheeled up to a cashier and paid. I felt stupid that time….
                      Good on you S!!!:thumb: So many would just drive away.....and not feel stupid either.

BTW......honesty easily trumps feeling stupid.

Comment

This is one that felt like "The Twilight Zone" to me, and it happened a month ago. I was doing some late grocery shopping, and when I went to the cashier, he told me that I hadn't bought an item that I had a coupon for. I thought that strange, because I remember putting it into the cart. Oh well. Maybe not.

Then as they bagged my stuff, I didn't see my grocery bags (that you buy for long term use). Hmmm, now I was getting confused. I then checked for purchases and I couldn't find a couple of other things I selected. OK, now I realized I may have the wrong cart, so I took a quick check around for semi-empty carts, with grocery bags. No luck.

I decided to pick out a few items that were missing, and call it a day.

The question is, did I take the wrong cart.....which happened to me many years ago, or did someone else take mine? BUT, either way, you'd think they would wonder why they had a couple of nice grocery bags, which you have to pay for, and items they never intended on buying......well, very unlikely right?

I went home feeling like I had slipped into The Twilight Zone. Of course, in my world, that can happen more than you think!!!

Comment

This is one that felt like "The Twilight Zone" to me, and it happened a month ago. I was doing some late grocery shopping, and when I went to the cashier, he told me that I hadn't bought an item that I had a coupon for. I thought that strange, because I remember putting it into the cart. Oh well. Maybe not.

Then as they bagged my stuff, I didn't see my grocery bags (that you buy for long term use). Hmmm, now I was getting confused. I then checked for purchases and I couldn't find a couple of other things I selected. OK, now I realized I may have the wrong cart, so I took a quick check around for semi-empty carts, with grocery bags. No luck.

I decided to pick out a few items that were missing, and call it a day.

The question is, did I take the wrong cart.....which happened to me many years ago, or did someone else take mine? BUT, either way, you'd think they would wonder why they had a couple of nice grocery bags, which you have to pay for, and items they never intended on buying......well, very unlikely right?

I went home feeling like I had slipped into The Twilight Zone. Of course, in my world, that can happen more than you think!!!
                          You must be a hoot at parties

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                            You must be a hoot at parties
                            As long as I don't go home with the wrong wife!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X