Get To Know The World.....It's Your World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get To Know The World.....It's Your World

I like to think I am a student of this world, not just a local dude. For those who love to travel, it sure is an eye opener, seeing other sites, learning the cultures, exchanging in conversation....even being aware of their political / economic background. Of course, if you are lucky enough to travel, you often get to experience the beautiful geography, taste the unique foods, and meet folks you would never normally get to cross paths with.

When I grew up, other than travel, one would learn about the world through various medium. Those who were well-read, stayed on top of the news, even studied... were usually pretty aware of their global surroundings. Nowadays, with the internet and all that comes with it, along with travel, it is pretty easy to gain some level of knowledge about many countries. And with the exchange of students and flow of people from one country to another, it is getting more and more likely that we can grow in international knowledge, without even hopping on a plane. I often have short but meaningful conversations with students at the U, in the locker rooms or in the gym that I attend there. That also goes for everyday places, whenever I bump into someone with an accent of some type. It's amazing how many young folks have come here to live, for at least a reasonable period of time. It's refreshing to me. One day it's a student from Brazil or Israel, the next it's a hotel clerk from Russia, and another time it's a new hopeful from South Africa. And it happens regularly.

Our city/country is known for multiculturalism, though we have a ways to go I'm sure. That's a good thing. We have our way of life, but we are open to what others can bring. In my mind, those who restrict themselves from growth or new knowledge are not doing themselves a favour. It also helps to form new relations.

Anyway.....we will continue to travel, to read, and to observe. And hopefully I will continue to meet others, from other countries, to share and learn. To those who are more "local" in their ways, that's cool too. But if one day you want a nice change, hop on a plane, and see, smell, and taste the planet. It's yours.

My main pet peeve about the internet is the failure of many that believe knowledge equals understanding.

I am sure I'm just as guilty as the next as being so informed and woefully ignorant at the same time. Proverbs 17:28.

I've been fortunate to have traveled a lot even living abroad for about 10 years. Different cultures, food, places, and people are an experience unrivalled. The most fascinating I learned is that regardless of the many things that make us all different we all want the same basic things.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
      My main pet peeve about the internet is the failure of many that believe knowledge equals understanding.

I am sure I'm just as guilty as the next as being so informed and woefully ignorant at the same time. Proverbs 17:28.

I've been fortunate to have traveled a lot even living abroad for about 10 years. Different cultures, food, places, and people are an experience unrivalled. The most fascinating I learned is that regardless of the many things that make us all different we all want the same basic things.
      Good on you bud! Wow.....10 years eh? You are worldly indeed!

When I think about being worldly, even if one does not travel much, it's like we're all tucked away in our homes, from pretty much anywhere on this globe, and yet we can view the world, its people, cultures, news, sports, foods, cultures, religions, geographies, climates.....all from the confines of our dwellings. We can see big picture all from our small locales. We can visualize life far away in a moment's notice. We can connect with folks almost anywhere, with just a flick of a switch.

Life can be so much more, with so little investment required. Just our time and our imaginations.

Then again, travel can be so exciting!

Comment

Working...
      X