Is It Better To Get There And Lose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Better To Get There And Lose?

I've been thinking about something since last night, since Lebron James had brought it up in his post game press conference.

I'm a huge Cavs fan, a huge Broncos fan, a huge Ohio St Buckeyes fan. The last couple of years the Broncos have been pretty darn good, and made it to a Super Bowl, the Cavs obviously just played in the NBA final, and lost to the Warriors. Finally, this past college football season the Buckeyes won a national title. Many of you would look at this, and say not to shabby past few years for you when it comes to sports, I kind of look at it that way as well.

Lebron has been to 5 straight finals, and 6 total, losing 4 times, winning 2. A reporter asked him a question about about enjoying the process, and Lebron replied by saying something like sometimes I think it'd better to not make the playoffs than get to the finals, and lose it. Obviously Lebron was highly emotional after losing, and was speaking in the heat of the moment.

So, here's my question, for you the fans? Is that statement somewhat true? As fans is it more painful for the Broncos to get to the Super Bowl, and lose to Seattle, or was it more painful to not make the playoffs. Was that super bowl loss worse than losing to Baltimore a few years back in the playoffs? Did that Super Bowl loss feel worse than the Indy playoff loss last season? Is it worse to have something in your reach, and not be able to grab it, or not to have even seen it at all?

Btw, I'm not really taking a stance either which way, I'm just curious on how everyone else veiws it?
    Last edited by ELWAY421; 06-17-2015, 12:30 PM.

That's a tough one. I think they obviously feel it differently than we as fans do. It's gotta be heartbreaking for a team to work so hard all season long only to come up short. As a fan, I prefer they make it there than not. No one knows what will happen once there. Yeah it sucked we got blown away in the Super Bowl, but no one expected it to go down like that at all. AT the end of the day, I'd rather be there because anything can happen. If you don't get to the playoffs, there is zero chance of winning the title.

AS for the question about what felt worse; I am still not over the Ravens loss. I feel like that was our year to win it. It's not a popular thing to do, but I do put a lot of blame on the refs in that one. Not trying to start a debate about that, but they had way too much of an outcome and you know when the sportscasters are constantly questioning the results of video reviews something isn't right. But I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by sybrite View Post
      That's a tough one. I think they obviously feel it differently than we as fans do. It's gotta be heartbreaking for a team to work so hard all season long only to come up short. As a fan, I prefer they make it there than not. No one knows what will happen once there. Yeah it sucked we got blown away in the Super Bowl, but no one expected it to go down like that at all. AT the end of the day, I'd rather be there because anything can happen. If you don't get to the playoffs, there is zero chance of winning the title.

AS for the question about what felt worse; I am still not over the Ravens loss. I feel like that was our year to win it. It's not a popular thing to do, but I do put a lot of blame on the refs in that one. Not trying to start a debate about that, but they had way too much of an outcome and you know when the sportscasters are constantly questioning the results of video reviews something isn't right. But I digress.
      This.

If you look at our locations, you'll understand why the Ravens game hurt so much. I do put the SB loss right up there. But, at least we were there (sort of).

For a player, I can sort of see it like Lebron. All or nothing. It'll be interesting to see if he still feels that way in a few days/weeks.
      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Though never experiencing a loss on that level, I somewhat understand the emotion an athlete has in the moment. I sincerely believe that when the sting is over the perspective changes as well.

What is the alternative? Mediocrity? A quest each year to be more average than the last? No thanks.

This is in part what championships mean. In the NFL only one of 32 teams will win the Super Bowl. It takes talent, endurance, and a bit of luck to go all the way. If winning it all was easy it's value would be severely diminished.

Comment

I live in Redskins territory and am used to seeing fans get so excited and talk themselves up year after year, only to watch them fail over and over again. I don't see how you would rather have that than a successful team that doesn't win it all. I know most of them would gladly trade spots with us over the past 20 years.

It takes a ton of talent and a great structured team to continually make the playoffs. The difference is mostly luck. Things have to bounce your way, and your team has to get hot at the right time to win a championship. Sure, it stinks getting so close only to watch your team lose, but a well run franchise that continues to succeed and put them in a position to make a run at a championship is not something to take for granted.

Comment

The only good thing about being average is a better draft pick
            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
              The only good thing about being average is a better draft pick
              That kind of thinking is for the Raiders. I give you leave to go wash your mouth out.

Comment

Football is odd in that the super bowl winner is celebrated as the ultimate champion and the loser is treated like the worst team in the league rather than the 2nd best. Being a Bronco fan since '84 I can say the 1 super bowl loss I took the hardest and wish we never would have appeared in was the Redskins SB in '87. It was the toughest because we went from up 10-0 (at a time when no super bowl team had ever blown a 10 point lead) to that 2nd quarter of absolute misery. I still have nightmares where I see the back of Tony Lilly's #22 jersey chasing Timmy Smith into the end zone over and over and over

Re: LeBron's comments, I think every athlete who's team loses the championship game/series wishes they had either won or not even gotten there. I think there's a lot of truth in the old saying about the farther you get in the playoffs, the more it hurts when you lose
                "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

I prefer to go to playoff games and Super Bowls rather than watch other teams play them on TV, so yeah, regardless of the outcome, I like us making the playoffs and being a contender.

Which was worse? I dunno. I am glad we went to the Super Bowl, but it's the Raven's game that frustrates me the most when I look back.

At least I got an adventure out of a Super Bowl trip, and I'd take one of those every year. :thumb:

Comment

It was the Ravens game that I had the worst problem with. They were a very good team that year and I think if they didn't screw it up, we would have had a SB win.

I kind of expected we were going to loose to Seattle. Just didn't expect the rout :S

Comment

The pain (of losing) is greater the farther you go, but the achievement of making the playoffs and going the distance (other than to lose in the very end) is what competition, and for me, life is all about.

When you look back at your life, you can always be proud of going as far as you could in any relevant situation. Yes, it hurts more for a period of time, because you were right there, and the ultimate win was that close. And you do wonder what else you could have/should have done, to get you over that last hill. But again, the farther you go, the better you have done. And really, in most situations you should not feel disappointed when you have lost to a better opponent.

Comment

It does hurt a ton and I was miserable for weeks after the Ravens loss and SB losses.

But I'll never forget what I told my best friend (Steelers fan) prior to kickoff of the Tim Tebow led playoff upset.

"We may not have a shot to win today, but all I know is it we better not ever go 6 years straight again without making the playoffs"

As much as it hurts to lose big playoff games, it sucks 10 times worse to have a team in misery for an extended period of time. There is nothing to get excited about in sports when your teams aren't even competitive. And what's the point of sports if you aren't trying to win?

I understand why Lebron said what he said in the heat of the moment. But I gaurantee you he would never settle for missing out on the playoffs. He will be back next year giving everything he has to try and win another ring. It's what people like him do.

I don't think he should have said it because it sends a wrong message to our kids. To never shoot for the top for fear of the pain of failing. But I understand why he did at that time. It's hard not to question and I felt it after we lost to the Colts this year.

But at the end of the day it's always better to try. Other wise what's the point in participating?
                        sigpic

Comment

OUCH!!!! That is a tough one. It stinks when your team does not make the playoffs...it truly does but that "BEATING" we took in 1989 from the 49ers (55-10) still haunts me till this day. All I can remember is Montana to Rice, Montana to Rice, Montana to Rice. DAM THAT WAS BAD!!!!!
                          sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
                          Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
                          PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

Comment

Originally posted by Assassin27 View Post
                            OUCH!!!! That is a tough one. It stinks when your team does not make the playoffs...it truly does but that "BEATING" we took in 1989 from the 49ers (55-10) still haunts me till this day. All I can remember is Montana to Rice, Montana to Rice, Montana to Rice. DAM THAT WAS BAD!!!!!
                            That was awful...the main thing I remember is being so disappointed when the 1st Montana to Rice TD happened right in front of Dennis Smith & Atwater and neither of them could put a hit on him...between that and Bobby Humphries dropping the first shovel pass I knew it was going to be a long, long day
                            "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                            PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                            LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

I can agree with something everyone has stated. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
                              X