Beating Caffeine Addiction!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating Caffeine Addiction!!

Alright so I have begun my quest to end my caffeine addiction (I had my last energy drink from Whole Foods today), and I wanted some advice on how to do this.

The backstory to my addiction is that I picked it up when I was doing a 5 credit chemistry course in college and now that it is the summer I still haven't been able to kick it.

I have a kind of addictive/obsessive personality to begin with so I'm not sure how I am going to kick this. Any advice is really appreciated.

I'm thinking that I am going to start writing things down so I know how many days I have gone without caffeine and know how much money I am saving and whatnot (similar to the tricks for beating a cigarette addiction).

I'm just worried because I don't want to have heart problems while I'm young and kicking my caffeine addiction would be a good way to do that for sure...
    sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
    Alright so I have begun my quest to end my caffeine addiction (I had my last energy drink from Whole Foods today), and I wanted some advice on how to do this.

The backstory to my addiction is that I picked it up when I was doing a 5 credit chemistry course in college and now that it is the summer I still haven't been able to kick it.

I have a kind of addictive/obsessive personality to begin with so I'm not sure how I am going to kick this. Any advice is really appreciated.

I'm thinking that I am going to start writing things down so I know how many days I have gone without caffeine and know how much money I am saving and whatnot (similar to the tricks for beating a cigarette addiction).

I'm just worried because I don't want to have heart problems while I'm young and kicking my caffeine addiction would be a good way to do that for sure...
    As long as you weren't drinking coffee all the time, I don't think it'll be that bad. Exercise in the morning is a good substitute. Get you going w/o the caffeine. I know when I quit drinking coffee, I felt brain dead for a week or two. I had to do it though. The exercise helped, and drinking non caffeinated tea with honey also took a bit of the edge off. Nothing will ever substitute the effect of a good energy drink or especially a cup of coffee, (nothing legal anyway) but your body will get over it in time. You won't even notice.

I didn't try this, but you could go slow, and start with regular Mountain Dew or something. Gradually work yourself off of it.

Comment

Tough one. Spice is right - exercise is a great way to deal with those cravings. It'll stimulate your metabolism naturally when it's probably feeling stale from withdrawal

I recently wanted to stop drinking coffee every morning. Not because of the caffeine so much as for the sugar and cream. I'd drink 2-3 cups a morning.

Much of any addiction is psychological in addition to it's physiological component. The actual ritual or act of the consumption is just as much a 'habit' as the physiological craving or biological need. So, that's why people who quit smoking need a toothpick or a straw to chew on - or gum etc.

On a different note - unfortunately for me I have some arthritis. It's not 'old person bad' yet - but I can see this being an issue for me in my later years. So I take BC powders for the arthritis. Well, turns out BC powder is loaded with caffeine itself. So since I was both drinking coffee and using BC powders, I was able to cut the coffee out and continue the BC powders. For me, the BC powder thing is working out because I was able to cut out the sugar and cream from my daily diet. I was able to stop drinking coffee but only on occasion. I haven't tried to quit caffeine yet. It might have been harder to quit coffee if I had to both deal with the physiological and psychological components at the same time. If you can divide it up it might be easier.

So I'm not saying go out and buy BC powder. But try to deal with each component individually if dealing with it all feels like too much.

If coffee is where you're getting most of your caffeine, you could drink decaff
      Last edited by dizzolve; 06-28-2015, 05:32 PM.
      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Your problem is not the caffeine; but diabetes.

Unless you are drinking sugar-free energy drinks, they are mostly sugar. In fact, if you remove all the ingredients except the sugar the can would be 2/3 full. So, you are using sugar as a delivery system for caffeine and other chemicals if you have been doing it regularly for any amount of time and continue, you can plan on being a diabetic.

So, unless you want to be on insulin when you get older, I suggest you stop. Hundreds of millions of people have drank coffee and tea for centuries.

I took that same Chem class in College-- both semesters; not sure why you think you need all that, but you should knock it off before you put your body into a more serious situation you will never recover from.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
          Your problem is not the caffeine; but diabetes.

Unless you are drinking sugar-free energy drinks, they are mostly sugar. In fact, if you remove all the ingredients except the sugar the can would be 2/3 full. So, you are using sugar as a delivery system for caffeine and other chemicals if you have been doing it regularly for any amount of time and continue, you can plan on being a diabetic.

So, unless you want to be on insulin when you get older, I suggest you stop. Hundreds of millions of people have drank coffee and tea for centuries.

I took that same Chem class in College-- both semesters; not sure why you think you need all that, but you should knock it off before you put your body into a more serious situation you will never recover from.
          Oh the ones I drink are all natural and sugar free. Trust me haha I'm smart enough to know that at least.

I developed a taste for the sugar free one which is odd..it has no aspartame in it and I believe its sweetener is stevia.

Those are my energy drinks that I drink.

Even the ones that have sugar in them are very low in sugar (just high in caffeine), I am thinking that I may try the exercise route though to curb my addiction.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
            Tough one. Spice is right - exercise is a great way to deal with those cravings. It'll stimulate your metabolism naturally when it's probably feeling stale from withdrawal

I recently wanted to stop drinking coffee every morning. Not because of the caffeine so much as for the sugar and cream. I'd drink 2-3 cups a morning.

Much of any addiction is psychological in addition to it's physiological component. The actual ritual or act of the consumption is just as much a 'habit' as the physiological craving or biological need. So, that's why people who quit smoking need a toothpick or a straw to chew on - or gum etc.

On a different note - unfortunately for me I have some arthritis. It's not 'old person bad' yet - but I can see this being an issue for me in my later years. So I take BC powders for the arthritis. Well, turns out BC powder is loaded with caffeine itself. So since I was both drinking coffee and using BC powders, I was able to cut the coffee out and continue the BC powders. For me, the BC powder thing is working out because I was able to cut out the sugar and cream from my daily diet. I was able to stop drinking coffee but only on occasion. I haven't tried to quit caffeine yet. It might have been harder to quit coffee if I had to both deal with the physiological and psychological components at the same time. If you can divide it up it might be easier.

So I'm not saying go out and buy BC powder. But try to deal with each component individually if dealing with it all feels like too much.

If coffee is where you're getting most of your caffeine, you could drink decaff
            Hmm maybe instead of white knuckling it that is a better idea. I can usually only go 2-3 days max before I break my habit and sneak in another Vuka energy drink.

I'm at Whole Foods almost every day which is getting expensive lol.

What do you think of these energy drinks? Even the sugar ones are very low in sugar (44 grams per the whole can just slightly more than a coca-cola at 39).

That being said...maybe I should switch to Coke it does have slightly less sugar but I always feel like crap when i have one lol.
            sigpic

Comment

I get my caffeine from coffee only, but I use it to control my chronic migraines. I know a couple of coffee drinkers who lived into their late 90s. It has it's benefits if not used in excess daily. I usually do 2 a day, morning to control any oncoming migraine and at night. I can't do soda anymore and I can't do energy drinks because they taste like what I imagine what monkey piss would taste like.

I beat one caffeine addiction that I had which was Excedrin. I never abused it but I took it every other day because I had headaches and migraines every other day, but it got to the point where I took it even when I was fine because it gave me that rush. But I thought about my future, went cold turkey and discovered the wonders of coffee. It was all psychological. I thought about the future and found a safer alternative.

And you're not lying about Wholefoods. Two weeks worth of groceries runs us up to $250 dollars. This is for 2 people. It does indeed pay to be healthy,. :/

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                I get my caffeine from coffee only, but I use it to control my chronic migraines. I know a couple of coffee drinkers who lived into their late 90s. It has it's benefits if not used in excess daily. I usually do 2 a day, morning to control any oncoming migraine and at night. I can't do soda anymore and I can't do energy drinks because they taste like what I imagine what monkey piss would taste like.

I beat one caffeine addiction that I had which was Excedrin. I never abused it but I took it every other day because I had headaches and migraines every other day, but it got to the point where I took it even when I was fine because it gave me that rush. But I thought about my future, went cold turkey and discovered the wonders of coffee. It was all psychological. I thought about the future and found a safer alternative.

And you're not lying about Wholefoods. Two weeks worth of groceries runs us up to $250 dollars. This is for 2 people. It does indeed pay to be healthy,. :/
                If I could still drink coffee, I'd be pounding a cup right now. No doubt. I used to take Excedrin a lot as well, but to get rid of pain from nagging injuries. I never had migraines, thank God. I feel for you there. Tht has to suck.

In high school, I used to take Stacker 3's and stuff like that before games. I'm sure that was healthy.

Comment

I take Excedrin any time I think I'm having a caffeine headache. I use to have a pot of coffee every morning. Thank God for K-cups, I've cut down to 2 a day. I did Mountain Dew every after noon, then switched to Diet Dew, but decided diet soda is even worse for a body than regular soda …. so I made a healthy choice and switched to black tea. Guess, I'm not the right person to give advice on cutting down on caffeine. Any time I try to do so myself, I gradually cut back. If your a caffeine addict, and you try to do all at once your head will spilt from the pain.
                  sigpic
                  Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                  Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                  Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                  Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Working...
                  X