Are Cupcakes Overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Cupcakes Overrated?

Don't get me wrong, cupcakes are good. But maybe I'm old fashioned because doughnuts, pieces of pie or cake, make me a happier camper. It's just that, growing up many years ago, cupcakes were nice, but not special. And from my little perch, trendy doesn't always change my opinion.

Yes, I've had my share of cupcakes, and I seldom have turned them down. But if someone puts an apple fritter in front of me, or a nice piece of apple pie with some vanilla ice cream, or maybe a tasty chocolate torte or perhaps even a piece of cheesecake, and now I'm very happy! Heck, I could name a whole bunch of such delights that would make my all star team of desserts. I know I could name 10 types of pies that would make my list, over cupcakes. Same goes for doughnuts and cakes. There are other desserts as well.

I believe what happened is that cupcakes got a some boosts, like when Sex And The City had an episode with the gals munching on cupcakes in front of Magnolia Bakery. A popular show like that could make something trendier. And hey, as mentioned these treats aren't too shabby. And if you jazz them up with all new types of flavours and toppings and such, good things can happen.

Whatever the case, I am clearly not on the same page. But if we ever meet and you offer one to me, I won't turn it down.

I mean if it tastes good and makes me fat I will eat it.
    sigpic
    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

That is one sweet, that I don't eat. The other one is pie
      "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

We have a gourmet cupcake place nearby that's won awards and such. Though I don't often think of cupcakes first when I think of a desert or sweet treat, their cupcakes are amazing thigh pricey. Like any good doughnut shop that will run out of doughnuts by a certain time, they will run out of cupcakes.

I guess I can also appreciate the variety a place like that can have. Maybe what makes people question their pace in the desert food chain is cupcakes may seem pain, if ok, but a plain make at home and how-can-this-be-different type of thing that is hard to think of as anything more than what you would make at home.

In the end I guess I appreciate the choice and variety that can suit just about anybody's desire, doughnut, pie, cupcake, chocolate bacon, whatever!

Comment

Nothing personal "cupcake".

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
            That is one sweet, that I don't eat. The other one is pie
            Baa Humbug

Comment

I too will eat them, but will not seek them out.

They are way down the food chain list when it comes to desert.

My Grandmother was an amazing baker had a small room off the kitchen that had huge flour bins and a marble counter top to knead the bread or dough for whatever she was making.

Pie dough, doughnuts or bread. To top is all off she baked in a coal fired stove.

But I'd rather have a good slice of freshly baked bread with some REAL butter on it than the above mentioned items.

Not that I do not like them, fresh bread is my downfall.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post

My Grandmother was an amazing baker had a small room off the kitchen that had huge flour bins and a marble counter top to knead the bread or dough for whatever she was making.

Pie dough, doughnuts or bread. To top is all off she baked in a coal fired stove.

But I'd rather have a good slice of freshly baked bread with some REAL butter on it than the above mentioned items.

You know you just made me salivate down my chin.......

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  You know you just made me salivate down my chin.......
                  lets keep this clean.. the BREAD made you salivate..

Yes she lived out in a small farming community,in town Grand father ran the general store had an uncle that farmed raised almost all their food from beef,pork and chickens, think they even had a couple of geese. But they had fresh milk, eggs, cream and butter delivered daily to Grandma.

So cholesterol was rampant in the family.

but the food was great think I'll go bake a loaf, I've been getting Irish Butter lately so that should top it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post

I've been baking bread lately, thankfully it's not really too difficult. You are correct there is nothing like a warm slice of fresh baked bread with real butter spread on it. But i also have no problem eating cupcakes or regular cake or doughnuts, pie yeah food in general.
                    I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by darth-hideous View Post
                      I've been baking bread lately, thankfully it's not really too difficult. You are correct there is nothing like a warm slice of fresh baked bread with real butter spread on it. But i also have no problem eating cupcakes or regular cake or doughnuts, pie yeah food in general.
                      Which leads to my next thread.....

"Is Food Underrated?"

:thumb:

Comment

Cupcakes are awesome. :thumb:
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

But it's hard eating them out of a cup????

What?.....you don't have to??

Hmmm, that might be a game-changer.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            Cupcakes are awesome. :thumb:
                            Sam, I was let down. I thought you give more cupcake theory, perhaps some anecdotal information about memorable cupcakes you've had before the Crumbs Bakery merger, or at least an explanation about the proper choice in cupcake tin gauge size, 12 personnel vs 6, etc.

Comment

I occasionally fancy a cupcake now and then in the garden with a spot of tea. The weather has been dreadful; oh I must have my assistant put it on my summer activity schedule.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X