No announcement yet.

Traffic in Denver has gotten HORRIBLE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic in Denver has gotten HORRIBLE!

Used to live there in the early 80's, worked on the diagonal at IBM (Niwot). Went up there for the Mile High Nationals this weekend and couldn't believe how congested it has become. I-70 is bumper to bumper almost all weekend in either direction, I-25 south was 20 mph all the way to Monument on Sunday afternoon. I heard 36 is now a toll way...Wow! To give props, drivers were very well behaved and courteous for the most part.

Thank God I'm a country boy. :usa:
    [sigpic

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    Used to live there in the early 80's, worked on the diagonal at IBM (Niwot). Went up there for the Mile High Nationals this weekend and couldn't believe how congested it has become. I-70 is bumper to bumper almost all weekend in either direction, I-25 south was 20 mph all the way to Monument on Sunday afternoon. I heard 36 is now a toll way...Wow! To give props, drivers were very well behaved and courteous for the most part.

Thank God I'm a country boy. :usa:
    If you're going to Niwot from Taos, go:

US 64 to Tres Piedras;

US 285 to Alamosa;

Colorado 17 to US 285;

US 285 North to US 24;

US 24 to Leadville;

Colorado 91 past Climax to Wheeler Junction;

I-70 East past Idaho Springs to Central City Parkway, exit 243;

Central City Parkway through Central City to Blackhawk;

Colorado 119 (Peak to Peak Highway) all the way to Niwot through Nederland, Boulder Canyon and Boulder.

Be careful in Boulder because they don't mark Colorado 119 with signs letting you know where to turn. When you go back, look for Canyon as the street on which to turn to get back up to Nederland. When you are going through Boulder to Niwot, the turn is right at the street marked "Diagonal Highway". When you come back on the Diagonal Highway going back to New Mexico, in order to stay on CO 119, I think the left turn is at 28th Street, but you'll need to check. It took me several tries to catch on to their tricks.

This is the route I take (except I come up NM 14 to US 285 in Santa Fe) when I go to Boulder, Longmont and Fort Collins. To West Littleton I go through South Park on US 285 through Fairplay, Kenosha Pass, Bailey and Conifer. To Arvada, I just stay on I-70 instead of turning on the Central City Parkway . It takes longer, but is quite a beautiful drive except for Climax. When you're headed back to Taos and you come through Leadville, the view of the Sawatch Range is stunningly gorgeous with the Collegiate Peaks and five other Fourteeners.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

That is a beautiful drive, I snowmobiled all that back country decades ago.

Taking the scenic route is awesome if you have the time but I pity those that have to drive the routes I mentioned every weekend. :brick:
      [sigpic

Comment

US36 is a part toll way. (Only one lane.) I take it quite a bit and was mad when i first found out about it. But if it's really only going to be 75 cents I'll take it for the time being. I-70 is awful now a days 100% agree. With the very quick influx of people theses last few years CDOT can't expand fast enough. I am hoping the RTD Fast Track Project clears some of it up eventually. Still a while until that is finished though.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/Fastracks.shtml
        sigpic

Comment

Yea. Denver traffic is a joke. I drove through 44 states since December as an over the road truck driver and the only place worse passing through was LA. Even Boston, I95 through New York/Connecticut, Atlanta areas were all better.

Sam's got the right idea. I'd try to avoid Boulder and the Diagonal during rush hour if at all possible though. I grew up around Longmont and even in the last 5 years it's got much worse. The whole front range is all growing into one giant, congested blob. That's why I live in Gunnison.
          :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
          sigpic

Comment

The last time we stayed in Longmont, we made daily trips to Thornton around 84th Ave. We started mid-morning after rush hour and traffic was already slowing down by the time we crossed CO 52 by Firestone, Frederick, Dacono. By the time we would get to 136th Ave., traffic was doing maybe 10-20 mph. I told my wife that if a helicopter zoomed ahead, it would probably locate the head of the line somewhere in the vicinity of Highlands Ranch, or even farther South.

We experimented returning to Longmont on Wadsworth/US 287.

When going from Longmont to West Littleton, we tried CO 93 from Boulder to CO 470 to US 285. One must be careful coming into Boulder on CO 119 and switching to CO 93. If one is not careful, you end up getting shuffled on to US 36.

Traffic on I-25 from Fort Carson almost all the way to Fort Collins is dreadful. That Front Range area, especially the greater Denver Metropolitan area, has too many vehicles for the road system. It's worse than Rome and Athens which have larger populations, but have better mass transit systems. Denver has the beginnings of one, but it needs to be expanded. Has the train from DIA been connected to the city yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
              Yea. Denver traffic is a joke. I drove through 44 states since December as an over the road truck driver and the only place worse passing through was LA. Even Boston, I95 through New York/Connecticut, Atlanta areas were all better.

Sam's got the right idea. I'd try to avoid Boulder and the Diagonal during rush hour if at all possible though. I grew up around Longmont and even in the last 5 years it's got much worse. The whole front range is all growing into one giant, congested blob. That's why I live in Gunnison.
              Kissimmee Fla. to the Orlando Airport, Got to be among the worst in the nation. 3 hours to go 20 miles.
              [sigpic

Comment

Traffic in Denver sucks because 95% of the population of Colorado lives within 5-miles of the sideways 'T" formed by I-25 and I-70.

Towns such as Castle Rock, Greenwood Village, and Englewood get narrow-sighted on a particular type of development to generate tax-revenue. Castle Rock for example is almost all houses excepting the little retail center and Outlet mall. Greenwood Village or the Tech Center as most know it is almost all office. So, the Bedroom communities of Castle Rock and Highlands Ranch residents have to go to work where the offices are in Greenwood Village having to travel I-25.

You can blame this on City Planners and City Councils who have narrow visions for their communities rather than developing balanced communities.

Municipalities are in love with tax-revenues and they will get them any way they can. They always have enough money for a swag new municipal center and park-- yet never enough to fix roads or other maintenance functions.
                Last edited by Rancid; 07-28-2015, 12:59 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                  Kissimmee Fla. to the Orlando Airport, Got to be among the worst in the nation. 3 hours to go 20 miles.
                  Florida's the one large state that I haven't been to.

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  The last time we stayed in Longmont, we made daily trips to Thornton around 84th Ave. We started mid-morning after rush hour and traffic was already slowing down by the time we crossed CO 52 by Firestone, Frederick, Dacono. By the time we would get to 136th Ave., traffic was doing maybe 10-20 mph. I told my wife that if a helicopter zoomed ahead, it would probably locate the head of the line somewhere in the vicinity of Highlands Ranch, or even farther South.

We experimented returning to Longmont on Wadsworth/US 287.

When going from Longmont to West Littleton, we tried CO 93 from Boulder to CO 470 to US 285. One must be careful coming into Boulder on CO 119 and switching to CO 93. If one is not careful, you end up getting shuffled on to US 36.

Traffic on I-25 from Fort Carson almost all the way to Fort Collins is dreadful. That Front Range area, especially the greater Denver Metropolitan area, has too many vehicles for the road system. It's worse than Rome and Athens which have larger populations, but have better mass transit systems. Denver has the beginnings of one, but it needs to be expanded. Has the train from DIA been connected to the city yet?
                  I don't think the light rail has opened out to DIA yet. My dad's an operator and hasn't said anything about, I think it's still a ways off. They're also raising the light rail fees a ton and pricing out most of the people who would actually use the trains now, so the whole system at the moment is a failure.
                  :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                  sigpic

Comment

Traffic is bad all over front range. Most denver commuters use to live south of denver. Now people are moving north too. Who would have thought that loveland would have a rush hour? Or that it can take 45 min to get across estes?

I still say that i95 between alexandria and baltimore is the worst.
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I've been here the last 11 years... and it has gotten consistently worse every year. Being a big skier, I used to be able to leave around 630-7am to get to the slopes on time. I now get up at 530am, still fight a little bit of traffic for two hours, then sleep at the slope for an hour before the lifts open. It's insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                        I've been here the last 11 years... and it has gotten consistently worse every year. Being a big skier, I used to be able to leave around 630-7am to get to the slopes on time. I now get up at 530am, still fight a little bit of traffic for two hours, then sleep at the slope for an hour before the lifts open. It's insane.
                        Too bad the Winter Park Ski Train is no longer in service.

Comment

Working...
                        X