Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You Good And Not Very Good At The Same Thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Good And Not Very Good At The Same Thing?

It is possible to be good and not good at the same thing. I know that from a personal perspective. One of my strengths I would say is my ability to communicate, but that comes with a caveat. You see, I became a pretty good MC for work and social functions, and have made quite a few videos (also for work and otherwise), in which I typically hosted. Some folks liked my presentations as well. None of this came easy for me, because I was self conscious when I was a teenager, like many others.

I also have pretty decent writing skills, which I developed through lots of trial and error, and an excellent course I took at work. I have been complimented. BUT the truth is, I am only as good as the time and the effort I put into it, and if I remain objective. Give me time and a topic, and I might do well.

On the other hand, if you ask my family about dad's oral communication skills, they will tell you that when in everyday situations I tend to mumble, confuse at times, and listen ineffectively. I guess I am sloppy that way. When it doesn't matter much, and I have little time to research or think it out, I get lazy. Seemingly not the same guy who MCs and presents to others, often in front of large groups and sometimes very lofty management, or writes up important business cases. And truth is, if I have little time to write, I don't always put my best foot forward. Just like what I do here on occasion, I have to reread what I just wrote, because I make mistakes or do not rationalize how it sounds first time out. Again, I like to think that when the stakes escalate and I have time, I do have decent skills in that regard.

So, ask certain folks in the workplace who have seen or read my better stuff, and they might say some positive things about me. Ask the most important people in my world, and they may differ!

I would have to say may writing skills and professional skills are both hit and miss.

I love to write, and consider myself to be talented enough that I've kept my "blog" going for four plus years. I'm considering stopping it once I hit year five, but I'm undecided. I'd like to get my focus more on short stories. However, I've spent a ridiculous amount of time on my current short and feel like I suck at this time since I can't get it were I want it. Also I think there comes a time where you start trying too hard at writing. When I got into years ago, it came so easy, and when I return and read some of those pieces, I think damn I'm good. Now I have no idea where I'm going with stuff til I get to the end half the time, and once I post I still sometimes think I still got it. My other issue is sometimes I get so excited when I write that I end up missing words, and have to do a lot of editing.

As far as professional skills, there are so many months I'm on top. Then I'll have that one bad day and look out, I'm lucky I don't get myself fired sometimes I think.

I think people can be good and bad on a lot of different levels.
    Sophia23
    RIP #88
    Last edited by Sophia23; 09-19-2015, 12:32 PM.
    sigpic
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
    Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Mine is called PvP. It's on a Facebook game, and no matter how hard I try, it's always a hit & a miss
      "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Yes, I can hear it now from some of our "hot and heavy" crowd. Comments like, "yes, I can be very good sometimes, but at other times, I can be very, very bad!"

Comment

Golf. Who invented goddam golf... Oh, hold on, we did.

Yesterday at the first, I hit a drive 250 yards straight down the middle, stiffed an eight iron to two feet and rolled in the putt for a birdie... I walked off the green feeling like Rory McIlroy.

Stepped onto the second tee. A par 3. Hooked my tee shot into a bunker. Hit the bunker shot way too thin, took hardly any sand and sent the ball flying out the bunker, right into the trees behind the green - unplayable. Took a drop and promptly hit the ball too hard.. Went over the green and back into the bunker I'd just been in. Flopped it out this time... Then three putted.

From playing like Rory McIlroy, within five minutes I played the second hole like I was Vince Wilfork... in pads... and helmet...

Stupid, stupid game. The country that gave golf to the world should be ashamed.
          Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

Comment

Originally posted by pozbaird View Post
            Golf. Who invented goddam golf... Oh, hold on, we did.

Yesterday at the first, I hit a drive 250 yards straight down the middle, stiffed an eight iron to two feet and rolled in the putt for a birdie... I walked off the green feeling like Rory McIlroy.

Stepped onto the second tee. A par 3. Hooked my tee shot into a bunker. Hit the bunker shot way too thin, took hardly any sand and sent the ball flying out the bunker, right into the trees behind the green - unplayable. Took a drop and promptly hit the ball too hard.. Went over the green and back into the bunker I'd just been in. Flopped it out this time... Then three putted.

From playing like Rory McIlroy, within five minutes I played the second hole like I was Vince Wilfork... in pads... and helmet...

Stupid, stupid game. The country that gave golf to the world should be ashamed.
            That's a classic example! I used to be good, and yes, bad at golf. I could go to a driving range and hit ball after ball after ball over 250 down the middle, without much effort. Then I would go to the first tee on a tight fairway, with people watching.....and who knows??????

Comment

Working...
            X