Were You Ever Bullied?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were You Ever Bullied?

I was in Kindergarten and 1st grade, and I just wonder why schools don't take more actions to prevent this
    Yes
    75.00%
    No
    25.00%
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

I was born with a birthmark that covers the right side of my face from under my lip going up to and onto my earlobe, and goes down my chest to my nipples. I know first hand kids can be mean, I was bullied often at a young age, until I learned to fight, unfortunately I would often resort to fighting when it wasn't even called for, and got myself into trouble lots, never big trouble, my record is still clean thankfully, lol. But needless to say I was a very confused and angry kid.

But then I got into music, I learned the guitar and I LOVED it, so I learned the drums, loved those too, and just kept learning. My anger faded and with the anger fading, I found more people willing to see me past the birthmark. I was lucky I lived in a small town I guess, because once people knew me, they knew I would accept anyone for who they were, and a very proud moment for me was when I was votes most memorable and most liked student the year I graduated, the yearbook committee told me it was a landslide, and I was so happy I cried.

6 years ago i was blessed with a beautiful red haired girl, and she takes just after me in so many ways, but she is also the most timid little girl you could meet, her 3 year old niece sometimes bullies her. She she now lives with her mother in the city, and it's a constant struggle to think of her being bullied. I know kids can be mean, and I know it could happen to her.
    Here's hoping Champ gets into the Hall First Ballot. He deserves it!

Comment

I'm bi-racial, so yes, I was bullied. Part of both cultures but not accepted by either.

I was very quiet. Didn't fight back, didn't talk back. Some people took that as a sign of being weak.

I'm more vocal now. For myself and for others.

HUM, our local schools have a pretty good anti-bullying program. It still happens, but they do try.
      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
        I'm bi-racial, so yes, I was bullied. Part of both cultures but not accepted by either.

I was very quiet. Didn't fight back, didn't talk back. Some people took that as a sign of being weak.

I'm more vocal now. For myself and for others.

HUM, our local schools have a pretty good anti-bullying program. It still happens, but they do try.
        Thats funny I have a cuz nicknamed peanut thats mixed...not making fun of you anyway just throwing that out their
        Adopted 2015 Bronco $CHRIS HARRIS JR.$

Comment

Twice, once in 4th grade and again in 8th grade. 4th grade I decided I had enough and went at it with the kid. He kicked my butt, but he didn't look too good afterwards, either. Never had another problem with him. In 8th grade almost got expelled when a kid took a swing at me and I grabbed his arm and swung him around face first into a brick wall. Didn't have any more problems with him after he got out of the hospital.

Other than those two times, a very uneventful childhood.

"No one can protect you better than you can." - Anonymous
          --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

I used to get picked on all the time for being poor, then I got into sports (namely hockey and football) in JR. High. I discovered how strong I was and decided it wasn't ever happening again.

His name was Sean, and I'll never forget him, but he tried to pick on my by name calling, etc. When that didn't work he slapped me on the back of the neck. I turned around and pulled his shirt over his head and beat the everloving piss out of him. Got suspended for 3 days and his parents wanted to sue me after I knocked two of his teeth and and broke his orbital socket.

...but I never got bullied again.

There's a time and a place for violence, and I'm teaching my kids that. Let other kids say whatever they want, they're just words and they're probably being said out of utter insecurity. But, if someone puts their hands on you thats NOT okay, and my kids will finish what the bully started. Maybe thats the wrong way, but to each their own.
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
              I used to get picked on all the time for being poor, then I got into sports (namely hockey and football) in JR. High. I discovered how strong I was and decided it wasn't ever happening again.

His name was Sean, and I'll never forget him, but he tried to pick on my by name calling, etc. When that didn't work he slapped me on the back of the neck. I turned around and pulled his shirt over his head and beat the everloving piss out of him. Got suspended for 3 days and his parents wanted to sue me after I knocked two of his teeth and and broke his orbital socket.

There's a time and a place for violence, and I'm teaching my kids that. Let other kids say whatever they want, they're just words and they're probably being said out of utter insecurity. But, if someone puts their hands on you thats NOT okay, and my kids will finish what the bully started. Maybe thats the wrong way, but to each their own.
              Oh come on man, you were in 8th grade and I was still in 3rd
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

cant really argue with that the only way to deal with bullies is to punch em in the mouth metaphorically or if it comes to it literally

ive been bullied back in 9th grade i dont remember why but he was sitting behind me in mens chorus and was calling me racial slurs i wanted to turn around and take it to him being 15 and he was 17 i let myself be intimidated this guy knew my brothers and i wasnt sure why he was doing this but i told my brothers and they took care of it

and ive unfortunately bullied a kid with my cousins cause he was different we were around 8 or 9 im not proud of it but somehow being bullied and being the bully gives you perspective on why they do it when you are bullied or see someone get bullied

Comment

I didn't. I fit in with everyone. Small class of 84 kids. I was athletic and nerdy and friendly. No enemies at all
                  Adopted 2015 Bronco $CHRIS HARRIS JR.$

Comment

Obviously fighting back wasn't an option for me. Why aren't you guys voting?
                    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Very badly freshman year ... upset a popular child when I was in a new school - they managed with their friends to make my life such an extreme living hell, I switched schools and all was good from then on. Just careful who you cross when your in jr. high or high school I guess. I pray everyday, that my nieces will ever encounter any such thing ...
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                      Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                      Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                      Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Originally posted by raziel View Post
                        But then I got into music, I learned the guitar and I LOVED it, so I learned the drums, loved those too, and just kept learning.
                        9th grade was a nightmare...I was really small for a freshman, was terrified at going to such a big school, and had zero friends which unfortunately translated into becoming an easy target for 3 bullies who made my life misery. Even my science teacher actually saw them punching me and never did anything - at a Catholic high school no less! Then over the summer I began playing drums, got my 1st girlfriend, and grew about 6" taller...talk about a major dose of badly needed self esteem!

When I came back to begin 10th grade, 2 of the 3 bullies had been expelled (maybe my science teacher was paying attention after all?) and I made a promise to myself that God had given me a 2nd chance and I'd never let anyone bully me again. Ever. A couple weeks in, bully #3 punched my arm passing in the hallway and I instantly turned around, grabbed him by the throat, and threw him up against the lockers and held him there. He was on the wrestling team and still bigger than me but I'll never forget the look of complete shock & panic on his miserable pasty white face.

No one ever messed with me again
                        "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                        PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                        LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

When I was in the 9th grade, a girl in my history class followed me out the room after the bell rang. She then proceeded to knock me to the ground and beat the out of me. I never saw it coming, and I never said anything to her to incite her to that action.

So, I guess I can say I was bullied. I just have no idea why.
                          Last edited by Peanut; 10-15-2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Back in elementary school and middle school, I was a bit of an odd duck. Thankfully I partially grew out of that... Ha. However, kids used to put gum in my hair, spit on me, and cut my hair with scissors when i'd sit at my desk or when I was walking down the hall. I used to be so terrified to go between classes that I would sit in the bathroom and wait until the bell rang and the halls were empty before I'd go... which naturally got me in a lot of trouble with the school. It was terrible.

In 6th grade, I was the only white kid that road my bus. I would get beat up almost every day because of it. I'd come home frequently with a busted nose, black eyes, etc. Kids would scream at me and throw food on me. My mother tried going to the school board, but they weren't sympathetic. So, eventually she couldn't put me on the bus anymore and had to drive me to school.

My grandpa was so upset when he heard how bad the bullying had gotten, that he took me to the store and bought me a weight set. "Lift these every day... kids will stop picking on you, I promise." Single most important moment of my life. It changed everything. That was in 5th grade. By the time I hit 7th grade, I'd put on 20 lbs of muscle and the bullying totally stopped.

To this day, I still don't quite understand all of it. I was an odd kid, but it must have been something else about me. I know part of it was because I was white (in a school that mostly wasn't), but there were other white kids that didn't have the same issues.

I'm not sure any of it makes sense. Children are just really mean... ha.
                            Last edited by Joshua2585; 10-15-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                              I'm not sure any of it makes sense. Children are just really mean... ha.
                              The thing is, "mean" isn't something you're born with. "Mean" is something that is learned, either as a result of ill-treatment ("Oh, this is how life is?"), or it's deliberately taught to the child (bigotry, prejudice, racism, etc.). I grew up in the deep South, but I was never taught racism. I *WAS* taught to discriminate and, like my Dad, to this day I absolutely cannot tolerate abject stupidity and incompetence.
                              --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

Working...
                              X