Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with hacking someone's email?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with hacking someone's email?

I just don't get it. I have to have all these security features in place, because of how often attempts are made to hack my email. After the first time it happened, I set additional measures in place so it can't happen again. About once a week I get a message from yahoo, that attempts were made at my email from an unknown device. It's always from Europe, or India, or Africa.... It doesn't so much matter about the attempts, since no one has been successful in a couple years .... but I just don't get why they are so anxious to gain access to my email to send out spam from my address....

I've come to ignore them until just now when I became irritated when scanning my spam real quick to make sure nothing in there that shouldn't be, and said there was spam from me. When I look it's a different email address that it comes from, but in their message they say Hi I'm (my email address) ... grrrr.
    sigpic
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
    Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

I hacked 2 of my friends' e-mails just to see their e-mails
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
      I just don't get it. I have to have all these security features in place, because of how often attempts are made to hack my email. After the first time it happened, I set additional measures in place so it can't happen again. About once a week I get a message from yahoo, that attempts were made at my email from an unknown device. It's always from Europe, or India, or Africa.... It doesn't so much matter about the attempts, since no one has been successful in a couple years .... but I just don't get why they are so anxious to gain access to my email to send out spam from my address....

I've come to ignore them until just now when I became irritated when scanning my spam real quick to make sure nothing in there that shouldn't be, and said there was spam from me. When I look it's a different email address that it comes from, but in their message they say Hi I'm (my email address) ... grrrr.
      It isn't just about wanting to hack your account to send spam, like some people assume, though that could be a reason, though a lame one.

If you can hack somebody's account then you get to monitor what comes in like back emails, credit card vendors, etc. Then it's a simple thing to request your user name and a password reset and the next thing you know your bank account is empty and your cards are maxed.

It's a gold mine. Hopefully you are connecting securely to your account via SSL or TLS. A lot, though not all, providers require this now but it's worth checking.
      Last edited by Rastic; 01-07-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

It was me and Humcalc. Sorry. It was his idea.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rancid View Post
          it was me and humcalc. Sorry. It was his idea.

hahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
            It isn't just about wanting to hack your account to send spam, like some people assume, though that could be a reason, though a lame one.

If you can hack somebody's account then you get to monitor what comes in like back emails, credit card vendors, etc. Then it's a simple thing to request your user name and a password reset and the next thing you know your bank account is empty and your cards are maxed.

It's a gold mine. Hopefully you are connecting securely to your account via SSL or TLS. A lot, though not all, providers require this now but it's worth checking.
            That makes a whole lot more sense to me than just spamming. Yeah, I'm connecting through a secure connection.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
              That makes a whole lot more sense to me than just spamming. Yeah, I'm connecting through a secure connection.
              Good idea! Humcalc is a cyber ninja. You can never be too safe. You should wrap your setup in plastic and protective gel just to be sure.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                I hacked 2 of my friends' e-mails just to see their e-mails
                lol - The only email I'd ever probably be able to hack is my hubby's, and can't say I've ever had the urge to do so....

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                It was me and Humcalc. Sorry. It was his idea.

lol, you two are just world wide aren't you
                sigpic

Comment

The only email I'd ever probably be able to hack is my hubby's, and can't say I've ever had the urge to do so....
                  Yea, spot on there. I have to shower afterwards. <shiver>
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X