Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Kinda Love February!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Kinda Love February!

    OK.....I have shown respect for most of the months in this forum, but never have I singled out February. I checked back, and I paid respect for January......but alas, no love for February. But today is February's big day. So here goes:

    - It is OF COURSE, the month that we play in our record-tying 8th Super Bowl!!!
    - Where I live, the days are not only getting longer, but each day we go forward is a positive in terms of temperature trend. In other words, we already hit bottom!
    - And as mentioned with my January thread, these two months are prime time for young and old canucks to often get away for a nice warm winter vacation! Hey, February is a source of inspiration to get "the heck" outta here!
    - The NHL goes into 2nd gear, with less than 1/2 a season to go. The stakes are raised, and the trade deadline comes at the end of this month.
    - With climate change, February is the new March!
    - Every so often there is a smell of spring in the air, and spring smells wonderful to me!!
    - And yes, even if it gets cold for a few days here and there, it's pretty easy to accept, given it won't last too long, and there's always a warm, cozy chair or couch to rest my bones on, maybe with a good book, or while watching a movie. Or I can go to the gym and enjoy a nice sauna to warm me up.
    - Oh, and did I mention......It is OF COURSE, the month that we play in our record-tying 8th Super Bowl!!!

    :thumb:

  • #2
    I love this post! I also love February. First weekend is always the SB. Winter has really set in. I'm not into my busy season at work until a couple weeks in. And hockey!! I did not know you are also a hockey fan! What team?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SLeeLeeS View Post
      I love this post! I also love February. First weekend is always the SB. Winter has really set in. I'm not into my busy season at work until a couple weeks in. And hockey!! I did not know you are also a hockey fan! What team?
      Hey there, I know I over-promote Canada here, but it is because I am a proud canuck......and hockey is core to our being. With that said, our team is The Winnipeg Jets. I am going to make an assumption that you are an Avs fan, but that may be incorrect. I have pretty much liked your team (if it is) for a long time, which is tough given we are in the same division. I really loved it when Joe Sakic and company won The Stanley Cup!

      What was so cool for me was when my wife and I had a short but sweet vacation in Denver a couple years back, including a football game of course. It was the same week as The NHL kicked off their season. So here we were, going for a supper in downtown Denver, and we bump into Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry of Anaheim, who were playing against The Avs the next night. What a perfect week, catching a fantastic Broncos game, seeing the sights, and then exchanging a few words with 2 of the best hockey players on the planet, at a street corner!!

      (Sorry for the long story...and if you are not an Avs fan)
      Last edited by CanDB; 02-01-2016, 03:28 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Hey there, I know I over-promote Canada here, but it is because I am a proud canuck......and hockey is core to our being. With that said, our team is The Winnipeg Jets. I am going to make an assumption that you are an Avs fan, but that may be incorrect. I have pretty much liked your team (if it is) for a long time, which is tough given we are in the same division. I really loved it when Joe Sakic and company won The Stanley Cup!

        What was so cool for me was when my wife and I had a short but sweet vacation in Denver a couple years back, including a football game of course. It was the same week as The NHL kicked off their season. So here we were, going for a supper in downtown Denver, and we bump into Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry of Anaheim, who were playing against The Avs the next night. What a perfect week, catching a fantastic Broncos game, seeing the sights, and then exchanging a few words with 2 of the best hockey players on the planet, at a street corner!!

        (Sorry for the long story...and if you are not an Avs fan)
        What a great story and experience!

        I grew up in Minnesota loving hockey and watching the Wild. Moved to Denver a few years ago and have had season tix to the Avs for three seasons now and am a complete convert and Avs addict! (Please know I have loved the Broncos since I was a kid!)

        My Avs have done very well against the Jets this season haha but I will not rub that in because you are one of my favs!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SLeeLeeS View Post
          What a great story and experience!

          I grew up in Minnesota loving hockey and watching the Wild. Moved to Denver a few years ago and have had season tix to the Avs for three seasons now and am a complete convert and Avs addict! (Please know I have loved the Broncos since I was a kid!)

          My Avs have done very well against the Jets this season haha but I will not rub that in because you are one of my favs!!
          Hey, not to worry.....The Jets are struggling and The Avs have regrouped from last season. And good to know you grew up directly south of us (we're like sister states/provinces). Are you from the big city - Minneapolis, or from a smaller locale? Regardless, us folks from Winnipeg are frequent visitors of Minneapolis. Relatively short drive. Heck Minnesota is just over an hour away.

          Nice talking. VD's a lucky dude!!

          :thumb:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            Hey, not to worry.....The Jets are struggling and The Avs have regrouped from last season. And good to know you grew up directly south of us (we're like sister states/provinces). Are you from the big city - Minneapolis, or from a smaller locale? Regardless, us folks from Winnipeg are frequent visitors of Minneapolis. Relatively short drive. Heck Minnesota is just over an hour away.

            Nice talking. VD's a lucky dude!!

            :thumb:
            Awe that was so nice! But, I'm the lucky one. He is amazing and I love him!!!

            I am from Minnie! We were practically neighbors!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SLeeLeeS View Post
              Awe that was so nice! But, I'm the lucky one. He is amazing and I love him!!!

              I am from Minnie! We were practically neighbors!!
              Geez.....it's like a duet thread. Shhhhhhhh. Can you hear anything / anyone???

              Yes, I failed to mention that you have a very nice partner in crime.:thumb:

              Thanks for keeping me company, neighbour (with a "u").

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SLeeLeeS View Post
                I love this post! I also love February. First weekend is always the SB. Winter has really set in. I'm not into my busy season at work until a couple weeks in. And hockey!! I did not know you are also a hockey fan! What team?
                Winter is good; cold is better than hot. If you're cold, you can put on enough layers of clothing to (eventually) get warm enough to endure the cold. If you're hot, however, there's a limit to how much clothing you can take off trying to get cool, before the cops arrest you. Plus, even if you're not arrested, you'll STILL be hot even though you're buck-naked!

                So I shall join you in your "cheers for Feb" post. We usually start winter here the last week of Nov, and it's into spring by the last week of Jan (winter in central FLA being when the temp is below 75F). This winter, however, it didn't arrive until the second week of Jan, so Feb is really the heart of our winter this year. Had to start wearing long pants instead of shorts, socks with the sandals, and a windbreaker over the t-shirt.
                Last edited by Grandpa; 02-02-2016, 05:02 AM.
                --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

                Comment


                • #9
                  My wife likes February also; Valentine's Day, our anniversary, my son's birthday are all reasons for us to celebrate in February.

                  As for me, the pool is closed in February and I cannot get my tan on. True, you can always put more clothes on in the winter, but I really don't see the fun in that. As for me, I am looking forward to Summer when I can hang by the pool, smoke some salmon and brisket, and go fishing. I will be thinking about all that while I shovel snow today.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                    My wife likes February also; Valentine's Day, our anniversary, my son's birthday are all reasons for us to celebrate in February.

                    As for me, the pool is closed in February and I cannot get my tan on. True, you can always put more clothes on in the winter, but I really don't see the fun in that. As for me, I am looking forward to Summer when I can hang by the pool, smoke some salmon and brisket, and go fishing. I will be thinking about all that while I shovel snow today.
                    Feb is still a fun month for me. Oldest daughter's birthday is the 9th, youngest's is the 24th. As for Valentine's Day, my feeling is that if someone needs a designated, special day to tell someone else that they love them, that relationship is on shaky ground. The (stated) purpose of Valentine's Day should be ongoing, 365 days a year, which would render Valentine's Day meaningless. Hallmark cards would suffer, but chocolatiers would reap HUGE profits from selling their candy collections at inflated prices year-round instead of just one day a year.

                    Then there's the downside ..... my (last) anniversary is the 1st. What a way to start the month, huh? Remembering my last ex- and all of HER baggage?

                    Q. How is a spouse and a gun similar?
                    A. Keep either one around the house long enough, and you'll want to shoot it!
                    Last edited by Grandpa; 02-02-2016, 10:13 AM.
                    --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                      My wife likes February also; Valentine's Day, our anniversary, my son's birthday are all reasons for us to celebrate in February.

                      As for me, the pool is closed in February and I cannot get my tan on. True, you can always put more clothes on in the winter, but I really don't see the fun in that. As for me, I am looking forward to Summer when I can hang by the pool, smoke some salmon and brisket, and go fishing. I will be thinking about all that while I shovel snow today.
                      Hey bud......are you saying you stock your pool with fish?










                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                        Winter is good; cold is better than hot. If you're cold, you can put on enough layers of clothing to (eventually) get warm enough to endure the cold. If you're hot, however, there's a limit to how much clothing you can take off trying to get cool, before the cops arrest you. Plus, even if you're not arrested, you'll STILL be hot even though you're buck-naked!

                        So I shall join you in your "cheers for Feb" post. We usually start winter here the last week of Nov, and it's into spring by the last week of Jan (winter in central FLA being when the temp is below 75F). This winter, however, it didn't arrive until the second week of Jan, so Feb is really the heart of our winter this year. Had to start wearing long pants instead of shorts, socks with the sandals, and a windbreaker over the t-shirt.
                        Central Florida / Central Canada.......basically the same climate.






                        Well, just wait 50 years for climate change to even things out.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                          smoke some salmon and brisket,
                          Dang! What do you use to light those with? You ain't using no Zig-Zags to roll them, either, I'd guess?
                          --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            Hey bud......are you saying you stock your pool with fish?


                            Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                            Dang! What do you use to light those with? You ain't using no Zig-Zags to roll them, either, I'd guess?
                            Our buddy Rancid is up to strange things these days.....fishing in his pool, and now "smoking" salmon (and brisket if you can imagine!!!)

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X